Gracie Academy Online Training and Testing?

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
it could be used as a supplemental product, but my understanding is it's a stand alone curriculum. You do need a partner thought, as far as I can tell.

Brian Jones

cooker1

White Belt
Reaction score
It seems like a natural progression. I would think it would be a good idea to travel to an instructor to assess competancy instead of a video though.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Gracie's are really smart when it comes to marketing and making money of their ideas.

Their combatives course is an overpriced rip off, but they are marketing off of their name while they can.

Fact of the matter is with so many people diving headfirst into the art over the last 16 years many of todays innovators are not Gracies....
Look at the big tournament results, and placings..

The art is fantastic, the Gracies are fantastic, but its becomming apparant that there are incredible practitioners out there with different last names, and they are making their names heard in the marketplace.

I have not checked out the process as of yet, but I know as someone who practices I can watch someone roll with another person and get a good ideal of their skill level. I would imagine the Gracies have me beat many times over in the ability to assess a persons abilities... I am curious what rank they grade up to via video... if its only purple or so I dont think its a big deal... if they start doing it for Black belt then I think its probably an bunk deal.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can learn technique on line, but not the feeling that goes into doing that technique. Case in point, a lot of people go to collage and get a degree in something, only to find they are of no value to an employer until they land a job and get their feet wet. Nothing beats hand on.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Remote learning and instruction is becoming much more viable and is generating a lot more interest. It's particularly interesting for arts which are still niche or difficult to find in some areas. WMA is becoming increasingly interested in this possibility. However, last I heard, no one in the community was considering it for TESTING. The idea floated so far is to have students be able to receive instant live feedback and "attend" live webinars via video feed.

This idea of testing by video reminds me of the BB Mag adverts from the 80's. "Earn your Black Belt by mail, we'll send you our VHS instruction (for only $99.99) and you video tape yourself and send it back to us ($99.99 per test) for grading. Only took in the gullible.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand from a friend it is for the Gracie Combatives system only. I am not 100 percent sure but how could someone not have a good martial art resume complete with competition etc. and become a black belt?

I mean gee, I have a dan in judo so can I just send off for one in karate evedn though I couldn't tell you anything about the art but there have been movies with the word "Karate" in the title?:flammad:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From what I understand from a friend it is for the Gracie Combatives system only. I am not 100 percent sure but how could someone not have a good martial art resume complete with competition etc. and become a black belt?

I mean gee, I have a dan in judo so can I just send off for one in karate evedn though I couldn't tell you anything about the art but there have been movies with the word "Karate" in the title?:flammad:

I could have been a brown belt in Judo a while back and I was solid CMA at the time. A Judo school wanted me to teach there and needed to have me covered by their insurance which also meant joining their organization. This would have amounted to a brown belt and I know not of Judo, but I had trained jujitsu over 10 years prior to that... I refused.

And now back to the post

Online training is, IMO, bogus and all about $$$

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I checked it out, and it offers some solid training. They stress on having training partners, and WANT you to meet up with other people in your area to train.

I see nothing wrong with that.

After inspection, I think it's a good thing, but I'd rather train with my people and if I come across some black belt along the way who wants to give me a belt, then so be it.

Ranking isn't as much of an issue as performance and fuctionality.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I call B.S. on it. I got my blue belt from the Torrance Academy beofre the first UFC, hung out and trained with them and at Ricksons during and a bit after, and got awarded a purple belt from one of their competitors.

Point o finterest: The guy who gave me the purple belt did so, because I was embarrassing his brown belts by owning them while wearing a blue belt. I could not catch the purple belts at the Gracie Academy as easily as I was catching this guys browns.

On the mat, a very identifiable pecking order becomes apparent, very shortly. You all know who can take whom, and how...the strengths and weaknesses. During class, the instructor is constantly rolling in with you, and yelling corrections...or seeing osmeone do something that causes him to stop class, make a correction, demo the importance of it strategically, clean it up, then resume grappling. Can't do that over the internet.

I am old and beat up now, and I still whoop on guys 20 years younger than I, and several ranks higher. And here's the problem: I am not that good; they are that bad. Standards have dropped, with the public going to where-ever the ranks and accolades are easiest to obtain.

If I ever get back into BJJ seriously, it's going to be at Ricksons school, or in a garage with one of his old black belts from bacck in the day. A place where technique and skill rules, and the color on your waist is matched by the bruises, mat burns, cauliflower ears, and blood on your gi. The rest is commercial prostitution, trading legacy and pride for a house payment.

Latest Discussions