Gracie Academy Online Training and Testing?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay video can be a tool to use in conjunction with proper hands on instruction but video testing online? That is not some thing I can support!
It is sad to see this happen.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/home_view.aspx?c=63QJ4TGT7X&n=28

Having said that I have always enjoyed the free Gracie Insider videos but....... online testing with this new program.
icon13.gif

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I looked at the site but did not see what the testing procedure actually is. What if it was a live sparring session to apply the techniques? I would assume that they are good enough to be able to tell if you have properly learned the material or not based on the video.

Just playing devil's advocate. It does make me wonder though since Helio died that this is now in place and wasn't before. Was it something in the works, or was it something that wasn't approved of before?

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I looked at the site but did not see what the testing procedure actually is. What if it was a live sparring session to apply the techniques? I would assume that they are good enough to be able to tell if you have properly learned the material or not based on the video.

Sadly it's not a live sparring session in front of a Gracie instructor:

"upload your belt qualification videos when it comes time to test. By viewing each of the belt qualification videos you submit, we will be able to determine your eligibility for promotion and monitor your progress through each segment of the curriculum."

I don't have a login to get to any more specific details, but this is a sad day, IMHO

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is damn stupid. What's next, long distance Kama Sutra correspondence course?

This is not Star Trek, when the holo-deck is real sure why not, till then quit being stupid.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh... It'll show on the mat if it's effective or not.

I mean, I've taken online courses in college and in some cases, I felt that if I was left with subject matter and my own devices, I was able to retain more information and become more innovative in my thinking pertaining to that subject matter.

However, during class meet-ups or study group, I did notice some slackers that thought they were getting an easy A, but never passed. I see the same mentality here: the ones going online for their belt will have so much more to prove to the BJJ community in competition and even amongst friends.

There's no lying here. Your status will quickly become questioned once someone from another gym or school finds out you're parading as "Gracie Black Belt" and can't pony up the technique or functional skill.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Okay video can be a tool to use in conjunction with proper hands on instruction but video testing online? That is not some thing I can support!
It is sad to see this happen.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/LC/home_view.aspx?c=63QJ4TGT7X&n=28

Having said that I have always enjoyed the free Gracie Insider videos but....... online testing with this new program.
icon13.gif

I am with you Brian.

I have seen a rather reputable CMA figure doing much the same recently and I was wholly unimpressed by that as well

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh... It'll show on the mat if it's effective or not.

I mean, I've taken online courses in college and in some cases, I felt that if I was left with subject matter and my own devices, I was able to retain more information and become more innovative in my thinking pertaining to that subject matter.

However, during class meet-ups or study group, I did notice some slackers that thought they were getting an easy A, but never passed. I see the same mentality here: the ones going online for their belt will have so much more to prove to the BJJ community in competition and even amongst friends.

There's no lying here. Your status will quickly become questioned once someone from another gym or school finds out you're parading as "Gracie Black Belt" and can't pony up the technique or functional skill.

That makes sense to a degree. But what happens when you fail a testing and don't understand why? How are they going to explain what needs to be worked on?

I don't know how anyone else is, but I don't think I would be able to fully grasp the concept of what I would need to correct over emails.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean you guys haven't realized by now that the Gracie's are greedy and want to make as much money off of thier name and BJJ as they can. Snap back to reality guys/gals. It's all about the Benjamins.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now this is a long time back..... However I can remember when I was training regularly at a certain Gracie Jiujitsu Academy that eventually moved over to a Caique Academy. The standards were impeccably high and it was a lot of fun when some one new came in and well even more fun if they had taught themselves or learned from some videos. In other words they were pretty darn easy to tap because of poor technique. I am sure this remains the same but we see more and more people going for the fast cash and willing to promote people via online training.
icon9.gif

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, ya know I am not sure really what to say. I see Nolerama's point. I took online university courses and I had to work harder for those than I did in most in class courses.

I have seen a ton of the "Send in the DVD of you doing technique for verification." I don't know, it just takes the whole instructor/student dynamic out of the M.A.'s that I think are important.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just playing devil's advocate. It does make me wonder though since Helio died that this is now in place and wasn't before. Was it something in the works, or was it something that wasn't approved of before?
OK... but who do you spar/roll with? My understanding of the more traditional ranking is that if a white belt is consistently beating/competing on an even foot with blue belts, they get the blue belt. And so on...

So, I sign up for my video Gracie Black Belt program. I'm not training with a local BJJ club... maybe there's not even an accredited one in the area. What do I do; wander into the local high school during wrestling season and try to get permission to work with them? How do you assess the opponent via video?

I don't have a problem with the lessons on video, especially as an aid to students enrolled in a BJJ program. But video testing? Nope.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think video testing is the way to go. At least have the student, who's probably paying a ton of money for the online courses anyway, come to regional location and test for the belt. If they don't get it, they don't get it. Place a huge disclaimer that says: The online BJJ Academy does not guarantee advancement in Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
eh, bound to happen. some people will benefit from it, most people will just lose money. but the gracies won't!

jf

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Online belt testing and training? :barf: I am so all over this.:rolleyes: This will truly make me a keyborad warrior, master, uber-soke that I have always dreamed about. :banghead:

skatatika

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard about that before, so i decided to have a look and registered. The whole thing doesn't look right to me.
For your belt evaluation you first have to answer these questions in an online form:
"How long have you been studying Gracie Jiu-Jitsu? "
"Have you learned Gracie or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from other sources? If so, please explain:"
"Do you practice any other martial arts? If so, please explain which ones and for how long:"
"Of all the techniques in the course, which did you find the most challenging to perfect?"
"Of all the techniques in the course, which was your favorite?"

Then you upload videos of the required techniques done with a partner, and then, of course, you pay.

That may be a way to evaluate someone who is practicing BJJ with an instructor who doesn't have the right to promote him - someone trying to reach a blue belt while traing with a blue belt teacher and so on.
But learning from videos you once again have to pay for is just ridiculous

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just because you learned from videos doesnt make the instruction worthless. Evan Tanner was the former UFC Middleweight Champ learned to grapple exclusively from videos. Im not saying online testing is the way to go, but if you can learn that way then more power to you!

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think there is some miscommunication. Once you pay for a lesson you have it and can go back and view it whenever you wish. You can test via video up through Brown. Your Black Belt test is in person. I have looked at afew lessons and they are pretty good. As a thought you don't have to be promoted. You cna pcik and choose, if you wish techniques you want and just pay for those I supposse. It could theoretically make for a nice additional video library. At 8 bucks a lesson that's not terribly expensive.

Reaction score
Alright, I'm confused. Is this supplemental training taken alongside formal class training as per the quote: "In the past, we presented video lessons, computer-based training, and online techniques in an effort to provide supplemental knowledge to people who already trained at a school of martial arts."? Or is it a stand alone product?
I'm not a BJJ practitioner myself but I just can't see any style, especially a grapple intensive style like BJJ, be trained to Black Belt level without an instructor physically present and an assortment of other practitioners around to train against. Then there's the issue of whether this course allows someone to compete in official BJJ contests.

Latest Discussions