GPseymors competition thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerry, if this pandemic thing ever gets over, and IF there are any schools left on this island which I'm not sure there's going to be, I'll find you a competition here. And I'll compete, too.

We'll both go play.....then for the following couple weeks we'll really go play. :)
Works for me - that'd be a lot of fun. I'll have to figure out how to get out there, but surely we can find something I can make it to.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, and you're not my instructor. You're just an arrogant person who has decided he doesn't like what he thinks my training is, and will fix me.

This is something I see a lot on this forum. Not just from DB, and not just in the public forum. People who aggressively try and take someone under their wing.

Is this why Masters had to fight each other all the time in Kung Fu movies?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is something I see a lot on this forum. Not just from DB, and not just in the public forum. People who aggressively try and take someone under their wing.

Is this why Masters had to fight each other all the time in Kung Fu movies?

It’s always been this way. It’s usually somebody who once trained something they thought was the balls, or at least liked what they were doing. THEN saw the light with something much better.

I think it comes from sincerely wanting to help people, and prevent them from wasting their time with the dangers of a school/style/organization that’s not practicing what they preach.

We used to call them the Karate Police. But I think the Martial Arts Police is more apt today.

Some of them are Sheriffs. Some entertaining, even.
Before the time of the internet nobody paid much attention. If they bothered you you just kicked their ash and shooed them away.

Can’t really do that anymore.
It’s frowned on.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been watching this thread de-evolve. I have to ask, is the title of the thread genuine? Or is this a parody or an outright dxxk move by someone?
I know some people are bored right now but.....come on man.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been watching this thread de-evolve. I have to ask, is the title of the thread genuine? Or is this a parody or an outright dxxk move by someone?
On another thread it came up that gerry hasn't competed in a tournament, but wished he had when he was in his 20s. So dropbear started this. You can decide for yourself if it's a genuine attempt to help him out, and attempt to prove a point, or an attempt to shame gerry.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The difference is if I do what I can to help Gerry do what he wants to do. Then I have stopped myself from making the excuses I have claimed others are doing.

For accountability sake if I don't do everything I can to provide an opportunity for someone to succeed. Then I am responsible for their failure.

My first jits competition was the same. I didn't want to do it, but opting out ment that I would have to opt out on the people I train with.

And again that is about holding myself accountable.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The difference is if I do what I can to help Gerry do what he wants to do. Then I have stopped myself from making the excuses I have claimed others are doing.

For accountability sake if I don't do everything I can to provide an opportunity for someone to succeed. Then I am responsible for their failure.

My first jits competition was the same. I didn't want to do it, but opting out ment that I would have to opt out on the people I train with.

And again that is about holding myself accountable.

I suppose, but how/why is it your responsibility to 'help' someone find a tournament who is about 10,000 miles away? Who, if I understand correctly, did not ask for the help? If it is a matter of accountability then we should all be trying to help find a tournament but I have heard no one else who felt compelled to help.
I get the encouragement and it is a noble idea if the intent is genuine. It just seems very clouded through all the comments in this thread.
If I missed the request from Gerry then I am off base.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose, but how/why is it your responsibility to 'help' someone find a tournament who is about 10,000 miles away? Who, if I understand correctly, did not ask for the help? If it is a matter of accountability then we should all be trying to help find a tournament but I have heard no one else who felt compelled to help.
I get the encouragement and it is a noble idea if the intent is genuine. It just seems very clouded through all the comments in this thread.
You're not off base.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Because personal accountability is this foreign concept to you.

Yes I could have just as easily not bothered.

Latest Discussions