GPseymors competition thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright let's put our collective heads together and find @gpseymour a starter competition.

Preferably grappling and nothing too crazy. And obviously after this lockdown is over.

Otherwise I am sure @Steve And @Tony Dismukes can help with advice and preparation tips.

What area do you love in GPseymor?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's probably going to be at least a few months before anyone starts holding grappling tournaments. Gerry lives in North Carolina. If he's interested in competing I'm sure we can find him an appropriate grappling event once things start opening back up. I'd be happy to help out with preparations.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are factors beyond just finding something in the area, so it may take a bit. I'd found one that didn't conflict with business travel last year, then had to have surgery - nothing came up late enough in the year that I could make it to.

As for prep, my plan for the first one is simply to go and see what happens, working off my existing trainning level. The point is pretty much to get the experience and set a baseline. The competition isn't the point, so I don't want to train specifically for it. I'm curious to see what does and doesn't work of what portions I've managed to keep sharp, and that'll give me some ideas what to work on as I have opportuntiies to train. I'm pretty sure my conclusion will be summed up with "ground work", but maybe I'll surprise myself and be worse at takedowns.

What I do need to do is spend some time figuring out the rules and what things I need to avoid that might come up out of habit. I don't really want to end up breaking the rules and either getting points I don't deserve or getting DQ'd.

After the first one, I'll have an idea of what I want to work on. Pretty sure cardio will be something I'll wish I'd worked on more in advance. Tony, I'll almost certainly have some areas I could use your help in. If we'd ever gotten around to actually rolling when I was there, I'd already have better ideas on that. I blame that on Mike, because he's not here to defend himself. :p

And while I'm pretty sure @drop bear started this to prove a point, out of something other than the kindness of his heart, I'll appreciate any real help that comes my way.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are factors beyond just finding something in the area, so it may take a bit. I'd found one that didn't conflict with business travel last year, then had to have surgery - nothing came up late enough in the year that I could make it to.

As for prep, my plan for the first one is simply to go and see what happens, working off my existing trainning level. The point is pretty much to get the experience and set a baseline. The competition isn't the point, so I don't want to train specifically for it. I'm curious to see what does and doesn't work of what portions I've managed to keep sharp, and that'll give me some ideas what to work on as I have opportuntiies to train. I'm pretty sure my conclusion will be summed up with "ground work", but maybe I'll surprise myself and be worse at takedowns.

What I do need to do is spend some time figuring out the rules and what things I need to avoid that might come up out of habit. I don't really want to end up breaking the rules and either getting points I don't deserve or getting DQ'd.

After the first one, I'll have an idea of what I want to work on. Pretty sure cardio will be something I'll wish I'd worked on more in advance. Tony, I'll almost certainly have some areas I could use your help in. If we'd ever gotten around to actually rolling when I was there, I'd already have better ideas on that. I blame that on Mike, because he's not here to defend himself. :p

And while I'm pretty sure @drop bear started this to prove a point, out of something other than the kindness of his heart, I'll appreciate any real help that comes my way.
I found this in asheville so it should be close to you. This is the event page for their 2019 one, but they have on their page a 2020 one with date TBA (obviously). Probably not quite the type of competition dropbear's referring to, but it's still a competition, looks like a lot of fun, and is a charity event to boot!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this in asheville so it should be close to you. This is the event page for their 2019 one, but they have on their page a 2020 one with date TBA (obviously). Probably not quite the type of competition dropbear's referring to, but it's still a competition, looks like a lot of fun, and is a charity event to boot!
Did you mean to link something in?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you mean to link something in?
D'oh!
CD5138719.jpg

Here you go

Open Source Jiu-Jitsu ~ Grapple for Good Absolute Open

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are factors beyond just finding something in the area,
It's always risky to test your MA skill in a place that you are not familiar with. You don't know what kind people that you are going to deal with. When referee is not available, serious injury can happen.

One of my guys just hurt his knee joint the 2nd time. He had a knee operation after he hurt his knee in a local MMA gym the 1st time. His doctor told him that he may no longer be able to wrestle on the mat for the rest of his life. It's very sad indeed.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

No point to be made

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always risky to test your MA skill in a place that you are not familiar with. You don't know what kind people that you are going to deal with. When referee is not available, serious injury can happen.

One of my guys just hurt his knee joint the 2nd time. He had a knee operation after he hurt his knee in a local MMA gym the 1st time. His doctor told him that he may no longer be able to wrestle on the mat for the rest of his life. It's very sad indeed.
Yep. This is part of the reason (I think) most folks over a certain age have less interest in grappling. It does worry me, but not enough to stop me yet.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure cardio will be something I'll wish I'd worked on more in advance.

Gerry, I can promise you that, if you don't use common sense and start working on cardio now.... you will certainly wish you had, then.

Think of it this way, if you're cardio is crap, you'll be gassed quick, and it is Really hard as you know to be able to learn, or even observe, well when you're gassed.

This is the first thing you can control, so control it. If your wind is good, regardless of outcome you can still have some good matches from which you will learn, even if you get rolled into a tiny ball with your arms and legs tied together. That was sort of my first BJJ experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gerry, I can promise you that, if you don't use common sense and start working on cardio now.... you will certainly wish you had, then.

Think of it this way, if you're cardio is crap, you'll be gassed quick, and it is Really hard as you know to be able to learn, or even observe, well when you're gassed.

This is the first thing you can control, so control it. If your wind is good, regardless of outcome you can still have some good matches from which you will learn, even if you get rolled into a tiny ball with your arms and legs tied together. That was sort of my first BJJ experience.
I am always working a bit on my cardio, and am working on improving it independent of the competition plan (I fell off my exercise regimen prior to the lockdown, so am having to work back). My point in this first competition is to find out how far off my training might be in any area, and that'd include fitness. If what I'm doing is good enough, then I won't have a problem. Ergo, if I gass out I probably need more fitness work. Of course, if my first attempt is at an absolute open and I'm up against someone twenty+ years younger, I'm probably gonna gas unless they are far less skilled.

Rest assured I understand the idea here and appreciate the advice.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would try to find something pretty low key. I am not really trying to make GPseymor some sort of world class monster. Just giving him the tools he need to progress a little bit.

If GPseymor goes and competes then his students will need to do some bulk rolling or wrestling with him to get him ready.

This idea that nobody wants to roll goes out the window cos tough titties they have to.

Suddenly you have a team of guys using their training to work towards something better.

Then you have a team of guys who through selective bias I am sure seem to get mystically better unnaturally fast.

Mabye motivation will change when there becomes a point to training.

But someone has to be first.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's probably going to be at least a few months before anyone starts holding grappling tournaments. Gerry lives in North Carolina. If he's interested in competing I'm sure we can find him an appropriate grappling event once things start opening back up. I'd be happy to help out with preparations.

Yeah thinking a masters or an easy amature event.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Talk about excuses...

:)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am always working a bit on my cardio, and am working on improving it independent of the competition plan (I fell off my exercise regimen prior to the lockdown, so am having to work back). My point in this first competition is to find out how far off my training might be in any area, and that'd include fitness. If what I'm doing is good enough, then I won't have a problem. Ergo, if I gass out I probably need more fitness work. Of course, if my first attempt is at an absolute open and I'm up against someone twenty+ years younger, I'm probably gonna gas unless they are far less skilled.

Rest assured I understand the idea here and appreciate the advice.
No one ever complained about being “too in shape.”

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gerry, if this pandemic thing ever gets over, and IF there are any schools left on this island which I'm not sure there's going to be, I'll find you a competition here. And I'll compete, too.

We'll both go play.....then for the following couple weeks we'll really go play. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. This is part of the reason (I think) most folks over a certain age have less interest in grappling. It does worry me, but not enough to stop me yet.
You can always tell someone that if he can take you down within 2 minutes, you will pay him $20. If he can't, he only has to pay you $1.

Since you only have to play defense, the match should be very safe for your opponent. $20 reward may make someone to be interested.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try to find something pretty low key. I am not really trying to make GPseymor some sort of world class monster. Just giving him the tools he need to progress a little bit.

If GPseymor goes and competes then his students will need to do some bulk rolling or wrestling with him to get him ready.

This idea that nobody wants to roll goes out the window cos tough titties they have to.

Suddenly you have a team of guys using their training to work towards something better.

Then you have a team of guys who through selective bias I am sure seem to get mystically better unnaturally fast.

Mabye motivation will change when there becomes a point to training.

But someone has to be first.
So many things wrong in this post. You say this thread wasn't started to make a point, yet here you just go RIGHT back to trying to make a point from another thread based on refusing to actually read what I've said in the past.

Your bias is getting in the way again.

Oh, and you're not my instructor. You're just an arrogant person who has decided he doesn't like what he thinks my training is, and will fix me.

Latest Discussions