Govt Collecting Phone Records

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/us-govt-collecting-huge-number-phone-records-150426635.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The government is secretly collecting the telephone records of millions of U.S. customers of Verizon under a top-secret court order, according to the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. The Obama administration is defending the National Security Agency's need to collect such records, but critics are calling it a huge over-reach.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., told reporters Thursday that the court order for telephone records, first disclosed by The Guardian newspaper in Britain, was a three-month renewal of an ongoing practice. The records have been collected for some seven years, according to Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's ok. The Obama Administration wouldn't do anything illegal.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've been moving toward this for a while. Heck, they admitted to recording conversations from cell phone calls for years. But nobody seemed to be worried about it. But now they do this and people are so surprised.

But I guarantee if people warned about it even a month before it happened, they would be called conspiracy theorists. It's rather amusing actually. Quite a scary thing, but amusing how people's minds work.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've been moving toward this for a while. Heck, they admitted to recording conversations from cell phone calls for years. But nobody seemed to be worried about it. But now they do this and people are so surprised.

But I guarantee if people warned about it even a month before it happened, they would be called conspiracy theorists. It's rather amusing actually. Quite a scary thing, but amusing how people's minds work.

Well put.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
obama said that there would be no more illegal wire tapping of American citizens, and that he would not undermine the constitutional protections of American citizens...oh...er...ummmm...that was "Senator," obama back in 2007 when he was attacking President Bush for his use of wire taps...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
obama said that there would be no more illegal wire tapping of American citizens...oh...er...ummmm...that was "Senator," obama back in 2007 when he was attacking President Bush for his use of wire taps...

I need only ask...

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Y'know...I understand the principle of the thing...but if you collected my cell phone calls over the last two years, you'd get a few mildly embarrassing calls to a girl I was dating, inane chats with my relatives, and incredibly dry business conversations with my boss/instructor. Hardly anything I care about having listened to. It makes me wonder why theyr'e bothering because I'd bet most people are as boring as I am.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I was busy...of course you may not see this video on the democrat/government media sites...but it is all over the real media...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"No more ignoring the law when it is inconvenient..." :lfao:

This guy is everything we knew he was and all of these scandals are no surprise to the people who actually looked at where this guy came from, who his parents were, who his friends were and listened to what he said when no one was paying attention to him...:lfao:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
glad I'm not a Verizon customer.

Where's Billc? I thought he would be all over this...

I guarantee it's every provider. The scary part of this is the breadth of the order, not it's existence. If I wanted to subpoena phone records for an investigation, I'd have to establish the nexus between the phone and the offense in question.

You know what's scarier, though? PRISM. See this article.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Y'know...I understand the principle of the thing...but if you collected my cell phone calls over the last two years, you'd get a few mildly embarrassing calls to a girl I was dating, inane chats with my relatives, and incredibly dry business conversations with my boss/instructor. Hardly anything I care about having listened to. It makes me wonder why theyr'e bothering because I'd bet most people are as boring as I am.
There's a fundamental principle at stake:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

What is the reasonable suspicion, let alone probable cause to invade my privacy in this case? How is that concern particularized to ME, and not someone else? If I want a wiretap, I have to convince a judge that it's necessary, that it's likely to produce useful evidence, and that I've accurately narrowed the scope to that phone. Even then, any oconversation NOT covered must be deleted. See Katz v US.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Call data collection can include every digit pressed.

Including a person's voice mail password, or the bank account number or credit card number of a person making a payment by phone, etc....

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Author of Patriot Act says this data mining violates the act...He is interviewed by Megyn Kelly of Fox cable news on the following video...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...It-With-Massive-Phone-and-Internet-Data-Grabs

Rep. Sensenbrenner discusses the Patriot Act that he authored, saying it does not allow for random phone monitoring of Americans. Sensenbrenner said Obama's secret program, which collects phone records from millions of Americans, is beyond the scope of the law he wrote in 2001.

Bush wanted the Patriot Act because he was evil...obama is using (and abusing) the Patriot Act because he loves us...he wants to make sure that we aren't doing things we shouldn't be doing...that is how much he cares...