Gout?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, looks like nature has gifted me with what appears to be gout. Yay me.

So, avoiding the chemical and surgical routes, I'm looking at holistic and natural healing options.

Right now, ACV, cherries, pomegranates, blueberries, grapes, strawberries and raw organic honey, along with alot of green and black teas, and water.

Anything else to toss in the mix?

:D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've heard from friends with gout that alcohol can be a trigger, as can caffeine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So, avoiding the chemical and surgical routes, I'm looking at holistic and natural healing options.

Right now, ACV, cherries, pomegranates, blueberries, grapes, strawberries and raw organic honey, along with alot of green and black teas, and water.

What made you think you had it?
I only ask because I get bad pains in my big toe joints. Comes and goes.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What made you think you had it?
I only ask because I get bad pains in my big toe joints. Comes and goes.

Careful consideration of symptoms, and possible triggers. Other option seems to be bunion. Will be talking to my doc about it shortly. 6th worst pain ever.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard from friends with gout that alcohol can be a trigger, as can caffeine.

I haven't had any alcohol in weeks, and my caffeine intake wasn't really outside my norms. Turkey & cranberries are other triggers (red meats, organ meats, shellfish, asparagus, and a few others). But don't usually bother me. I'm trying to remember other times I had similar "locked toe" feeling. I'll get that "need to pop the joint" feeling sometimes, this was the first time it was agony. (as in walking wasn't possible for a few hours)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember other times I had similar "locked toe" feeling. I'll get that "need to pop the joint" feeling sometimes, this was the first time it was agony. (as in walking wasn't possible for a few hours)

Yes that's what I get. Hmmm I should keep an eye on it.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Side note: 1 tbls Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "mother", mixed with 1 tbls raw organic honey, 8 oz filtered water and 2 oz organic berry squeezings, wasn't that bad. Bit tangy, little fizzy, slightly refreshing and completely weird.
LOL

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do Bragg's organic raw unfiltered ACV with spring water organic honey and organic "Cinnamon". Google cinnamon and gout and get back to me. I'm on my 4th qt of Bragg's and my old joints are loving it. 16oz per day of the above mixture throughout the day.
I just googled cherries and they seemed promising also.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this http://www.online-herbal-remedies.com/herbal-remedies-for-gout.html

Mayo Clinic states:
Certain foods have been studied for their potential to lower uric acid levels, including:

• Coffee. Studies have found an association between coffee drinking — both regular and decaffeinated coffee — and lower uric acid levels, though no study has demonstrated how or why coffee may have such an effect. The available evidence isn't enough to encourage noncoffee drinkers to start, but it may give researchers clues to new ways of treating gout in the future.
  • Vitamin C. Supplements containing vitamin C may reduce the levels of uric acid in your blood. However, vitamin C hasn't been studied as a treatment for gout. Don't assume that if a little vitamin C is good for you, then lots is better. Megadoses of vitamin C may increase your body's uric acid levels. Talk to your doctor about what a reasonable dose of vitamin C may be. And don't forget that you can increase your vitamin C intake by eating more fruits and vegetables, especially oranges.
  • Cherries. Cherries have been associated with lower levels of uric acid in studies, but it isn't clear if they have any effect on gout signs and symptoms. Eating more cherries and other dark-colored fruits, such as blackberries, blueberries, purple grapes and raspberries, may be a safe way to supplement your gout treatment, but discuss it with your doctor first.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, mate, if it's gout you'll know easily enough for the pain is immense. A friend of mine at work gets it in one of his feet and when he has an attack then there is no option whatsoever of him coming to work.

Avoiding triggers is a good policy but don't turn your face away from medication - we are talking serious, grown men crying, levels of pain with this beastie.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, mate, if it's gout you'll know easily enough for the pain is immense. A friend of mine at work gets it in one of his feet and when he has an attack then there is no option whatsoever of him coming to work.

Avoiding triggers is a good policy but don't turn your face away from medication - we are talking serious, grown men crying, levels of pain with this beastie.

yeah, that sounds about right for the pain level. It was "I might want to go to the ER, yes, I just might want to do that" level. Which for me to consider the er takes a lot.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know much about gout, but it doesn't seem to me like adding all those sugary foods (fruits and honey) to your diet would help all that much. Maybe there is a better way to get your vitamin C?

There is some information here regarding gout as well as personal anecdotes here that you may find interesting or helpful. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gout-primal-paleo-diet I like to refer to Mark's Daily Apple because it has helped me understand diet and nutrition so much better.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to suffer from gout on and off, supposedly related to my diabetes (thankfully I haven't had an issue for a long time) and if you are not adverse to using medication I always found that taking disolveable asprin really helped as it took the swelling down of my foot and eased the pain quite considerably.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted though, definitely not a pleasent thing to experience.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too exited about vitamin C. There is absolutely zero evidence to support its use in treatment of gout. In fact, tomatoes which have high levels of vitamin C can aggravate gout. But firstly you need to make sure what you have is gout. Normally there will be swelling of the joint, normally the big toe, and there will be a some redness and heat. Treatment is likely to be one of the older non-steroidal anti-inflamatories such as indomethacin and possibly colchicine. Allopurinol can be used, once the condition has settled, to help reduce recurrence.

In the meantime, drinking plenty of water helps to reduce the build up of uric acid. Good luck with the treatment, it is a real bugger of a disease. :asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
o cours it's tomato season and what am I eating by the ton? lol

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Until the bloodwork comes back, I'm going to read up on it.

Have to add something: in the past month I've developed a taste for lemon juice concentrate (offshoot of another experiment of mine). Once a week, not every day, a half cup of juice over ice and sweetened. Talk about PUCKER! lol!

I HAVE noticed that all my joints, my whole body, 'feels' better the next day.

Anecdotal...but repeatable.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding sugar, I think it depends on what type of sugar and how much. Right now, I've been avoiding HFCS as much as possible (I use cane sugar, raw honey or stevia at home, only drink sugar sweetened drinks when out, or water) due to other concerns. I'm seeing references to higher gout issues in hfcs users.

An article I read (dont have the link) made distinctions between frutose and sucrose, and hfcs. The hfcs was very bad, and one of the ose's was worse than the other. frutose I believe.
It also said when looking at fruit juices, that the organic, nothing but juice was best. Avoid if you see added water, and added sugars, preservatives, etc.

Couple of links, take with grain of salt. ;)
http://www.draxe.com/5-all-natural-ways-to-beat-gout
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/96164.php
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...uit-juice-and-soda-increase-risk-of-gout.aspx

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a bit long but I think it's worth the effort to watch it. You are right about the different types of sweeteners. High frutose corn syrup "HFCS" is in many foods and makes you wonder why. If it tastes good people will buy it, so they put just enough sweetener in many many foods for that effect. End results, it's ruining our health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Not trying to side tract the thread by posting about sugar, but I think the common denominator with not only gout but health in general is "sugar"...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a sidetrack. I'm seeing a lot of references that our modern heavy chem/artificial/processed diet is behind a significant amount of our health issues. All the more I think to get back to a more natural diet.

Latest Discussions