Got my butt whopped by a Kickboxing champion until I started jabbing him

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I may have a sadiomasochistic side to my personality, but I actually enjoyed getting my butt kicked for once. He reminds me of myself as a young 20 year old. :D

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean to tell me that national champions are poor representatives? If he was stunned, how on earth would an average guy do? I just mentioned his nationality in case anyone wondered.
I'm sorry but legitimate champion fighter is going to get stunned by a jab it just isn't going to happen. Maybe this guy told you he's a champion when in fact he isn't. Maybe he's the one lying not you I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have a sadiomasochistic side to my personality, but I actually enjoyed getting my butt kicked for once. He reminds me of myself as a young 20 year old. :D

For goodness sake you are only 28 now, I've been in martial arts for 40 odd years, been an instructor for 30 years and I don't even pretend I know everything about martial arts, still busy learning. I do know my basics though, I also know boxing, started that when I was about five my father, an army boxer taught me.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which one? Andrija Stankovic?

Stevan Živković?

It's in a hole?

He claims to have been champion as a junior. He is only 21 or something.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
For goodness sake you are only 28 now, I've been in martial arts for 40 odd years, been an instructor for 30 years and I don't even pretend I know everything about martial arts, still busy learning. I do know my basics though, I also know boxing, started that when I was about five my father, an army boxer taught me.
Cool but what was odd about them? Lol :p

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
And there's the word /claims/

Who knows what national championship. But it's a championship of some sort. He kicks better than everybody at the TaeKwonDo club. Inference to the best explanation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh of course.

Cool but what was odd about them? Lol :p

:D Oh they were (and still are) very odd! Totally nuts in parts, it's why I'm what I like to think of as eccentric now but most people just think I'm crazy!

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't match him with the kicking. He's too fast and kicks incredibly hard. I tried a kick challenge twice and he even floored me the second time.

So now I will simply box his head off. Hopefully:cool:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a Serbian National Champion in Kickboxing.

Who knows what national championship. But it's a championship of some sort. He kicks better than everybody at the TaeKwonDo club. Inference to the best explanation.

You are backtracking, you stated ( see quote above) he was a Serbian National champion, now he's just a good kicker.

I can't match him with the kicking. He's too fast and kicks incredibly hard. I tried a kick challenge twice and he even floored me the second time.

So now I will simply box his head off. Hopefully:cool:

Nope, if he has any fight savvy he will not let you close enough to box him. Why 'box' him anyway you are supposed to be training TKD? I know there's more strikes in TKD than just a jab and cross, why aren't you using them? If your TKD isn't enough then perhaps you shouldn't be grading for black after all, it's fine having nice techniques when doing them on your own but if you can't spar...................

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are backtracking, you stated ( see quote above) he was a Serbian National champion, now he's just a good kicker.

How I'm a backtracking? He's a Serbian National Champion who moved to a different country and joined a TaeKwondo club. I thought yeah sure, champion... I was completely asleep at the switch and pummeled me. Even knocked me down with a spinning sidekick, through my guard. I have never, ever, been knocked down in 4 years of doing TKD.

My strategy is to soften him up by jabbing him at a far and counter with a cross when he steps in. I never got a chance to do that because time was out shortly after I started to turn the tables.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I said that I don't know which championship. What federation etc.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
? I know there's more strikes in TKD than just a jab and cross, why aren't you using them?..

Because the sparring rules only allow them as punching goes in International TaeKwondo Federation.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
How I'm a backtracking? He's a Serbian National Champion who moved to a different country and joined a TaeKwondo club. I thought yeah sure, champion... I was completely asleep at the switch and pummeled me. Even knocked me down with a spinning sidekick, through my guard. I have never, ever, been knocked down in 4 years of doing TKD.

My strategy is to soften him up by jabbing him at a far and counter with a cross when he steps in. I never got a chance to do that because time was out shortly after I started to turn the tables.
Ah the old excuse I would've won but time ran out

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How I'm a backtracking? He's a Serbian National Champion

He's a Serbian National Champion who moved to a different country a

I said that I don't know which championship. What federation etc

Not backtracking? okay if you say so.

Because the sparring rules only allow them as punching goes in International TaeKwondo Federation.

Then you should practise your TKD punches and definitely your kicks.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Dude you seem to be under the impression that 4 years is a long time...n martial arts 4 years is nothing there's people on here who've been training for 40 years. Now I haven't trained nearly as long as some here I've only been training 10 years and I know how little that time really is

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Punching must be in a straight trajectory in ITF. Some people throw hooks as a dirty tactic but it's prohibited in the formal rules. I think I can outbox him with mainly straight punching (I might dirty it up if he wants to go down that path). But yeah, allowing me to throw hooks and uppercuts would probably help me a lot.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Punching must be in a straight trajectory in ITF. Some people throw hooks as a dirty tactic but it's prohibited in the formal rules. I think I can outbox him with mainly straight punching (I might dirty it up if he wants to go down that path). But yeah, allowing me to throw hooks and uppercuts would probably help me a lot.
Wait you don't throw hook punches in sparring yet you were critiquing a fighters hook punch....do you see the issue with that

Latest Discussions