Got my butt whopped by a Kickboxing champion until I started jabbing him

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The majority of mma fighters take boxing classes. That's just a fact.

Oh dear. Here we go again. No the majority of MMA fighters don't take boxing classes, it's more usually Muay Thai. This isn't because boxing isn't effective, it is, but because MT stances etc allow for kicking whereas boxing doesn't. None of my fighters have taken boxing, all do Muay Thai and or kickboxing. Most of the other fighters I know are the same. Nothing wrong with boxing at all just Muay Thai along with kickboxing (as well as TKD and karate) are more compatible with kicking. Boxing stances can also be a bit narrow allowing easier take downs.
Even if they did take boxing it doesn't negate my statement that in MMA you can adapt it to make it easier/more effective for your personal use.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
What gave it away? I'd never have guessed in a million years....... :banghead:

Well, you guys want to let him off the hook (punt intended) due to his mma backgrund. Although it was probably less common back in Ruttens time, today most if not all MMA-guys take boxing classes and some are quite decent, like Nate Diaz and Conor Mcgregor.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you guys want to let him off the hook (punt intended) due to his mma backgrund. Although it was probably less common back in Ruttens time, today most if not all MMA-guys take boxing classes and some are quite decent, like Nate Diaz and Conor Mcgregor.

So what experience do you have in MMA? I've give you a bit of my background in it, I came across it at the end of the 1990s, had a go, I coach fighters pros and amateurs, ref, judge, promote and corner ( never time keep, I wouldn't do that in karate comps either lol). We are sponsored by Fairtex to whom we send fighters to train in Thailand. Sooo when I tell you that most MMA fighters train Muay Thai or kickboxing because it's compatible with kicking I am telling the truth. Many MMA gyms have what they call 'standup' classes for fighters, this is what it says it is... stand up fighting for MMA ( just thought I'd be obvious), it will be dirty boxing, striking for kickers, (kick boxing striking), elbows, back fists etc whatever works ( the MMA mantra).
Conor McGregor didn't do boxing for MMA, he was a boxer before MMA and has adapted his boxing along with doing MT for MMA.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let him off the hook? What are you on about his hook obviously works very well. Also as I've said mma fighters train /everything/ hence the name MIXED martial arts

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Point is that mma is not a martial art, it is a blend of martial arts, including boxing.
In the beginning of the 'mma' craze you would be correct. However, it has been over 20 years now and mma today is a martial art with some rather specific training for it. It is specific for sport training but there are now Fitness MMA Clubs and even MMA for Self Defense. Some people may not consider MMA an art but it has grown in one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our MMA guys train boxing. Just saying.

Pure boxing or adapted boxing for MMA? Do they hold their arms as boxers do and keep a narrow boxing stance? Boxing for MMA has adaptations which are necessary unless they want to be taken down very quickly.
When people say 'boxing' for MMA they don't mean classical boxing, they mean 'standup for MMA'. classical boxing doesn't allow for kicking, elbows, backfists, spinning moves etc etc. the punching in boxing is great, if you've trained as a boxer again, great but you cannot go into an MMA fights doing classical boxing.

Not mine but a succinct comparison. A good boxer won't have any difficulty adapting.
"Let’s take a look at the difference between the way a boxer boxes and the way a MMA fighter boxes.

The main differences are…

• How to cover up and absorb punches to the head – The gloves that are used as a boxer are quite a bit bigger than the gloves used in MMA. This gives you a larger shield to hide behind when your opponent attacks. Also the impact the fighter receives is not transferred to the head as much with the large gloves of a boxer as it is with MMA gloves. So where as a boxer may cover up by putting his gloves directly in front of his face and letting the impact be absorbed by the gloves, a mixed martial artist needs to defend differently. The preferred cover up method for MMA is to use the forearms and elbows. For a straight punch the hands are placed palm down against the top of the forehead, which puts the forearms in the correct position in front of the face. For hooks, the palm of the hand is slid to the back of the head, which brings the entire outside of the arm into position to protect the side of the head.
  • How to duck under punches – In a fight, a boxer will commonly duck under a punch by bending forward at the waist. In MMA your opponent is allowed to knee and/or kick you in the head. So if you duck a punch by bending at the waist while in a MMA fight, you could be asking for trouble. It is a much better idea to keep your body upright and bend your knees to duck under the attack. This will protect you from eating that unwanted knee to the face.
  • Why you pinpoint your strikes – In both sports it is important to throw accurate strikes. If you hit a vulnerable area of an opponent’s body, you will cause more damage and that is the ultimate goal of throwing your strikes in both sports. But with the lighter MMA gloves on, there is one other reason to throw your punches accurately. They don’t offer your hand as much protection as a heavily padded glove does. If you miss your target and hit the forehead for example, it could result in a broken hand a lot easier than if you had larger gloves on. So when you throw your punches, aim.
  • How hard of a punch you can take – A professional boxer wears gloves that are usually around 10 oz, but the gloves used in MMA are only 4 oz. This drastically changes how hard of a shot you can take without going down. Now this does not mean you should be passive and not engage the opponent out of fear of taking damage. It only makes the instruction all fighters are given “Protect yourself at all times” that much more important. Hit and don’t be hit."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pure boxing or adapted boxing for MMA? Do they hold their arms as boxers do and keep a narrow boxing stance? Boxing for MMA has adaptations which are necessary unless they want to be taken down very quickly.
When people say 'boxing' for MMA they don't mean classical boxing, they mean 'standup for MMA'. classical boxing doesn't allow for kicking, elbows, backfists, spinning moves etc etc. the punching in boxing is great, if you've trained as a boxer again, great but you cannot go into an MMA fights doing classical boxing.

Not mine but a succinct comparison. A good boxer won't have any difficulty adapting.
"Let’s take a look at the difference between the way a boxer boxes and the way a MMA fighter boxes.

The main differences are…

• How to cover up and absorb punches to the head – The gloves that are used as a boxer are quite a bit bigger than the gloves used in MMA. This gives you a larger shield to hide behind when your opponent attacks. Also the impact the fighter receives is not transferred to the head as much with the large gloves of a boxer as it is with MMA gloves. So where as a boxer may cover up by putting his gloves directly in front of his face and letting the impact be absorbed by the gloves, a mixed martial artist needs to defend differently. The preferred cover up method for MMA is to use the forearms and elbows. For a straight punch the hands are placed palm down against the top of the forehead, which puts the forearms in the correct position in front of the face. For hooks, the palm of the hand is slid to the back of the head, which brings the entire outside of the arm into position to protect the side of the head.
  • How to duck under punches – In a fight, a boxer will commonly duck under a punch by bending forward at the waist. In MMA your opponent is allowed to knee and/or kick you in the head. So if you duck a punch by bending at the waist while in a MMA fight, you could be asking for trouble. It is a much better idea to keep your body upright and bend your knees to duck under the attack. This will protect you from eating that unwanted knee to the face.
  • Why you pinpoint your strikes – In both sports it is important to throw accurate strikes. If you hit a vulnerable area of an opponent’s body, you will cause more damage and that is the ultimate goal of throwing your strikes in both sports. But with the lighter MMA gloves on, there is one other reason to throw your punches accurately. They don’t offer your hand as much protection as a heavily padded glove does. If you miss your target and hit the forehead for example, it could result in a broken hand a lot easier than if you had larger gloves on. So when you throw your punches, aim.
  • How hard of a punch you can take – A professional boxer wears gloves that are usually around 10 oz, but the gloves used in MMA are only 4 oz. This drastically changes how hard of a shot you can take without going down. Now this does not mean you should be passive and not engage the opponent out of fear of taking damage. It only makes the instruction all fighters are given “Protect yourself at all times” that much more important. Hit and don’t be hit."

Yeah we have a real live boxing coach and everything. Got a couple of golden gloves recently. I think one guy is going for a title.

We do MMA boxing as well.

None of the base arts are unchanged in MMA but the base arts still provide good situational skills.

So yes we do boxing but yes we do other things.

We certainly throw jabs.

By the way you are not technically supposed to break at the hip in a boxing duck either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we have a real live boxing coach and everything. Got a couple of golden gloves recently. I think one guy is going for a title.

We do MMA boxing as well.

None of the base arts are unchanged in MMA but the base arts still provide good situational skills.

This is what we were saying. We've had a boxing coach in to help now and again. We do tend to scare him a bit because our legs and knees tend to come up instinctively to kick lol.

By the way you are not technically supposed to break at the hip in a boxing duck either

As someone said previously, very good boxers can break the rules and make it work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is what we were saying. We've had a boxing coach in to help now and again. We do tend to scare him a bit because our legs and knees tend to come up instinctively to kick lol.

As someone said previously, very good boxers can break the rules and make it work.

Both of you are saying it is a blend.

Our boxing coach just kicks us in the nuts when we go off reservation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant see an issue with hands like that going into a MMA fight

The leggings could be an issue though, that's women's wear here lol. Is he the boxer or an MMA fighter?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The leggings could be an issue though, that's women's wear here lol. Is he the boxer or an MMA fighter?
He's confident in his masculinity. He doesn't feel the need to conform to artificial societal dictates regarding gender specific clothing.