Got Challenged Last Friday

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It kind of comes with the territory, but this was the latest one to come in the door, so I thought I would share the story on a slow Monday.

It was the near the start of my class. I don't usually teach a class Friday, but I had an extra class this week just to allow some of my students to work on material we don't frequently practice.

As I was readying to step on the floor to begin class, a young man came in the door, garbed in a dogi, wearing a black belt and carrying an equipment bag. He asked to spar me after determining that I was the teacher.

This has happened a few times over the years, so I wasn't too shocked. I chuckled and asked for a $300 fee, just to mess with him. He said he didn't have the money, but he promised he could pay me after he 'sold some puppies'.

I sent him packing, but maybe I should have asked him what kind of dogs he was breeding. A cute little retriever would be a nice Christmas gift for the family.

Even funnier was the email I received from my visitor the next day. He said he just wanted to earn my respect in a friendly match and he hoped that I would rank him a black belt in my system. Huh?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Easy response:

Sure! But, first, you need to enroll in our program, and earn your way to at least shodan. At that point, we can have a free sparring session!

The way I see it, if he says "no way," you haven't lost anything, except a few precious calories. If he says "OK!" and actually follows through, then you've gained a student.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
How he when about it seem that he watches to much Naruto.:erg: Or something like it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You mean you didn’t jump up punch him in the chest rip his heart out and show it to him before he died and then toss it in corner with the rest of the so called challengers body parts.... sorry... I saw to many kung Fu threater movies this past weekend :D

You should have asked about the puppies :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to accept his challenge. Otherwise, how is he going to earn all his badges and face the Elite Four?

/ why yes, I do have a small child.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since he probaly will find someone to rank him for the right price I am sure he is a true BB if you know what I mean...

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to accept his challenge. Otherwise, how is he going to earn all his badges and face the Elite Four?

/ why yes, I do have a small child.

Is this Naruto? (What ATC mentioned above)

I am looking for a new cartoon to enjoy with my 3-year-old. He loved Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I thought the show was fine content-wise for his age.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this Naruto? (What ATC mentioned above)

I am looking for a new cartoon to enjoy with my 3-year-old. He loved Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I thought the show was fine content-wise for his age.

Pokemon. Might not be quite suitable for a 3 year old. Not that the content's objectionable, just that a 3 year old probably wouldn't be able to follow it yet. The critters are cute though, so you never know.

Then again, if he likes Avatar he might look at Pokemon and say, "What is this childish drivel you place before me, father?"

Latest Discussions