GoogleAds Are Creepy

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I logged off MT and cleaned up a video I've been working on. I created the movie 1080p with higher-end encoding and, oddly enough, needed to download the H.264 codec to view it.

When I got back to MT, this ad set was waiting for me:

Attachments

• $Creepy.jpg
    $Creepy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 208

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had this too. I was Googling for something to do with Israel for a recent thread, came back to MT and there's ads at the top about holidays to Israel! I've noticed this before also that all the ads on my pages are Brit ads often to do with whatever the subjects are on the page. Reading a TKD brings up ads for TKD clubs here, I feel stalked sometimes.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They must be accessing the browser's history in order to generate spot-on ads like this.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it certainly has a 1984 feel to it. I'm waiting until they're able to tie your internet searches into your tv watching and give user specific television advertisements.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a feeling that already happens with some pay-for-view channels (can't swear to it). It certainly technically possible tho' - it's pretty simple really. The stuff I create for work does a vastly more complicated task and we're essentially using 1980's technology!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Google Ads are geo-specific based on cookies and 'google magic' as I call it. FireFox users can block them by installing Ad Block Plus and keeping it updated. Alternately, filter "http://*.googlesyndication.com/*"if using other blockers.

Unfortunately, they significantly help defray rising costs so I'm hesitant to remove or restrict them right now. Once I upgrade to vB4, I'll be doing some fine tuning and supporting members will see a mostly ad-free site.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Google is watching you!!! Oooohh.. Gooooooogle!!! Anyways all of you all.. "Google" is NOT a verb!! Remember that!! haha.. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Google Ads are geo-specific based on cookies and 'google magic' as I call it. FireFox users can block them by installing Ad Block Plus and keeping it updated. Alternately, filter "http://*.googlesyndication.com/*"if using other blockers.

Unfortunately, they significantly help defray rising costs so I'm hesitant to remove or restrict them right now. Once I upgrade to vB4, I'll be doing some fine tuning and supporting members will see a mostly ad-free site.

I don't mind ads at all, sometimes they are useful and if they help pay the costs no problem, it's just a bit creepy sometimes when they seem specific to you.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've forced myself to look at them here and on my other sites, normally I've got them blocked, but sometimes really odd ones slip through and I end up trying to block them for everyone.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not averse to them as such. Gotta pay the bills, Bob. I just find it downright, well, Orwellian, at times.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do, however, resent the ads that remind me I'm single and over 40.

Thanks so much, GoogleFrikkingAds.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smartass!"

epic.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Google is watching you!!! Oooohh.. Gooooooogle!!! Anyways all of you all.. "Google" is NOT a verb!! Remember that!! haha.. :D

On the contrary... I'm googling even as we speak.
icon10.gif

I'll be honest, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about the weird pictures that accompany the ads. Like the bearded guy with the bizarre teeth.

Latest Discussions