Why people steal music.....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I've had a tune running through my head for a week. Unfortunately, my only copy is on vinyl and I don't currently have access to a turntable. I thought, what the hell, I'll go buy the single.

So, I do a search on a few of the online music sites and end up at Buy.com. I order my tune, pay for it (99 cents), and proceed to process the order. I get all the way through to the "Download" point when I start running into problems.

First, they want to download and install some 'special' software that after 20 minutes waiting for it to finish downloading and installing I discover that it's not compatable with any browser except IE.

So, log in with the security hole, and try again. This time, it breezes right through, file downloads and I think cool.

Wrong. 3 reboots later, I'm steaming. Farking crap DRM software drives the CPU load on my system up to 100 and locks it in.

Following Buy.com's lack of helpful FAQs I clean boot, update Windows Media Player (the only thing allowed to play the download initially), WMP DRM, and run a bunch of M$'s tests. Everything looks good.

Except the fracking file still won't play. >_<

WMP gives a "page not found" error when trying to aquire and install the licence.

Buy.com's "helpful" advice? Contact M$ for help...not their problem.

Last time I ever buy anything from them.
Last time I buy music online.
:angry:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Copyright infringment is not stealing. It is a crime, but it it not stealing.

If it was it wouldn't have been lobbied by the **aa groups to the point where the punishment for going into a record store and actually stealing a disk is less then downloading it.

That said, people download songs for the convienience. It's there, it's fast, it's free and it's not DRMed.

Thankfully, Canadian law works a little different and we still have some rights ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, that downloading music or copying a CD (or movie) or whatever, is okay... as long as you're not trying to make a buck off it. I mean is it any different than say when you were transferring all of your vinyl records to cassette? Or recording this and that song on to a cassette so you'd have all your favorites on one tape? For your listening pleasure?
Now we do it with better technology. Oh wait a tic... we didn't buy it and am getting it for free. Hmm, much like borrowing a friend's record or tape to listen to it (and probably record it on to a [another] tape.)
Now if I were to make say a 100 copies of a vinyl record on to cassettes and then try to sell them for a buck or two apiece then I think the companies/artists have a legitimate beef with me. But I don't...okay? Still I have various (CD's) with my favorite songs mixed in my favorite way of my favorite artist(s). What was wrong about that? Oh... I still didn't PAY for those songs... hmm even if I recorded them off an (free) Internet radio station??? Oh... fine print... wasn't supposed to? Wow... gotta learn to read more ... :rolleyes:
But as to why I did it is simple. about an average of 8 months out of the year I'm basically unemployed/poor and thus cannot enjoy the comforts of buying a $14 - 22.00 CD/Video. Ah, alas in keeping with the letter of the law I must do without. Sucks to be me eh? .... I ... don't... think... so.

Actually I think instead of going after the folks who copy/record media (read: general public/consumer) they should go after the folks that are making the technology to begin with. Millions of DVD/CD burners have sold since they've been created. Has anyone stopped them? No, because they were created for legitimate use; backing up your HD. Ah! So perhaps they need to chase down the program writers for Nero, Roxio and other choice companies who make programs (specifically to copy media) conversion/recording programmes.

Bust me and they'll have to bust nearly 20 to 40 million other people who've done just what I've done. Oh, easy for me to say that... until I'm behind bars eh? At least they GOT me huh?... :rolleyes:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Ok, I've had a tune running through my head for a week. Unfortunately, my only copy is on vinyl and I don't currently have access to a turntable. I thought, what the hell, I'll go buy the single.

So, I do a search on a few of the online music sites and end up at Buy.com. I order my tune, pay for it (99 cents), and proceed to process the order. I get all the way through to the "Download" point when I start running into problems.

First, they want to download and install some 'special' software that after 20 minutes waiting for it to finish downloading and installing I discover that it's not compatable with any browser except IE.

So, log in with the security hole, and try again. This time, it breezes right through, file downloads and I think cool.

Wrong. 3 reboots later, I'm steaming. Farking crap DRM software drives the CPU load on my system up to 100 and locks it in.

Following Buy.com's lack of helpful FAQs I clean boot, update Windows Media Player (the only thing allowed to play the download initially), WMP DRM, and run a bunch of M$'s tests. Everything looks good.

Except the fracking file still won't play. >_<

WMP gives a "page not found" error when trying to aquire and install the licence.

Buy.com's "helpful" advice? Contact M$ for help...not their problem.

Last time I ever buy anything from them.
Last time I buy music online.
:angry:
Try a large record store. Some will let you select (and pay for) titles that they will burn onto a CD for you. Unfortunately, most online sites ASSume that you are a Windows and Explorer user.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob...

TECHNICALLY since you own the Vinyl it shouldnt matter. I know the Organized Crime Syndicate known as the RIAA (It still makes me giggle to know they are being sued on the RICO act) says any download is evil and "illegal" but Fair use says you can own a copy... what difference does it make where the source of that copy came from?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Unfortunately, most online sites ASSume that you are a Windows and Explorer user.
Well, yeah, if you were a MAC user they would assume that you would be downloading some silly propriatry format like Itunes, and Linux users dont listen to music unless its the soundtrack to "Deep Space Nine" right???

*rolls eyes*

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Bob...

TECHNICALLY since you own the Vinyl it shouldnt matter. I know the Organized Crime Syndicate known as the RIAA (It still makes me giggle to know they are being sued on the RICO act) says any download is evil and "illegal" but Fair use says you can own a copy... what difference does it make where the source of that copy came from?
I had it in mp3 format way back when, but can't find the file. Figured dropping a buck was cheaper than spending a few hours looking for it. Didn't realize I'd have to spend a few hours rebooting and reconfiguring my system in vain and piss away the buck.

I've found that the error I'm getting indicates that the licence for the file is unavailable (ie been pulled/moved). So, it looks like Buy.com sold me a non-playable file. Nice.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with an iTunes tune I bought at me bruddah's house and took back to my house. It sucks working with proprietary encodes. Normally, I d/l music for 'evaluation' purposes. If, after 30 days, I have not bought the cd, then I keep the mp3 a while longer. Mostly, it's stuff I already bought at one time or another anyway.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I had it in mp3 format way back when, but can't find the file. Figured dropping a buck was cheaper than spending a few hours looking for it. Didn't realize I'd have to spend a few hours rebooting and reconfiguring my system in vain and piss away the buck.

I've found that the error I'm getting indicates that the licence for the file is unavailable (ie been pulled/moved). So, it looks like Buy.com sold me a non-playable file. Nice.
ouch... very stinky... Are you going to try to contact them and let them know what happened? I don't know how good customer service is w/ them..

I wonder... if you have already purchased an item and try to download it for free, how would the legal case go? If you have the vinyl, would they prosecute if you download from kazaa or some other source? I had my car stolen a while ago w/ alot of rare tapes. No longer being published, and to buy them used would cost me about 100 for some of them. Alot of them I can't even find online anywhere!

MrH

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Actually I think instead of going after the folks who copy/record media (read: general public/consumer) they should go after the folks that are making the technology to begin with.
That one goes right back to the betamax case. Movie and tv producers where sure that the entertainment market would suffer huge loses as everyone would just copy there favorite movies and tv shows.

It fell through (thankfully) because there where legitimate uses. Home video has become a big thing. VHS tapes sold far better then other formats before...

Lately they have been going after the makers of peer to peer software, notably the victory over grokster. But it didn't loose because of what it was, as much as what the marketed use of it was.

Even photocopiers and scanners have come under fire for providing the public with the means to make there own and skip paying the producers.

Yet these things are all rather important to how our culture has grown lately, so a technology that makes it possible to do legal things can't be shut down just because there are also illegal uses.

Fair Use, or Fair Dealing up here, gives you the right to make personal copies. Something that was very important a few years ago with floppy disks failing regularlly...

It also lets you transfer the format of something. So if I own a cd I have the ability to transfer it into MP3 and put it on my computer or MP3 Player. I also have the ability to make a back up copy in case the original is damaged.

So it is not the technology, the technology is important and a big part of promoting innovation.

Of course the work around for the RIAA / MPAA and other such groups is the DMCA, which makes it illegal to work around or remove copy protection. So even though you have the right to transfer your cd to MP3, if they put a form protection on the CD, you can't legally work around it, and can't legally use your fair use rights.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
ouch... very stinky... Are you going to try to contact them and let them know what happened? I don't know how good customer service is w/ them..

I wonder... if you have already purchased an item and try to download it for free, how would the legal case go? If you have the vinyl, would they prosecute if you download from kazaa or some other source? I had my car stolen a while ago w/ alot of rare tapes. No longer being published, and to buy them used would cost me about 100 for some of them. Alot of them I can't even find online anywhere!

MrH
I tried contacting them, and it bounced. Interestingly enough, the "help" request was sent from their website through an online form, and the bounce message indicates it was rejected as spam. So, Buy.com seems to think that it's customers asking for help is spam.

Interesting ne?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I tried contacting them, and it bounced. Interestingly enough, the "help" request was sent from their website through an online form, and the bounce message indicates it was rejected as spam. So, Buy.com seems to think that it's customers asking for help is spam.

Interesting ne?
grrr.... is there a phone number to be found? let me see if I can find one. thats -really- stinky dude...

MrH

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob, I found this web site:

http://www.computergripes.com/buy.com.html

It has the following responses at the very bottom:
FYI: Phone numbers for buy.com: 949-389-2000 (thanks Pegi) and toll-free 877-780-2464 (thanks Rick). An anonymous poster on my blog said the toll-free number is answered in New Dehli India by people with strong accents. I have not verified this.
Update: Another anonymous poster confirmed the above toll-free number and that it is answered in New Delhi. This person (Carrie) like me, had used buy.com happily for years before having recent problems. April 12, 2005.
Update: Another anonymous poster said: "even if you call the non-toll free number, once you are transferred to customer support you get their agents in India. Every time I have called after the American operator answers I get shuffled off to India". September 1, 2005.
Update: Another anonymous poster said the 877-780-2464 number is a waste of time and at the 949-389-2000 you have to insist that you not be transferred to India.

I've not used them, but this might be a good starting point for you. Hope this helps!

MrH

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate the digging. At this point, I'm going to write it off, and either re-encode the vinyl (once I locate a turntable), buy the cd (used) or get the MP3. Not worth spending a day going nuts over a buck. Just pissed that my first (and now only) attempt to buy online turned into a headache.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give them grief!

But refusing to ever buy music because of one glitch, one day...what if you applied that same logic to bulletin board software? :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good point.

But I won't do business with Buy.com again.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear ya.

I bought my iPod Nano at CompUSA last week. They tried 5 times to sneak in a $60 warranty. I had to keep refusing it. If she hadn't scanned my credit card already I would've walked out, but I was afraid they'd send the charge through. It was like buying a used car.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
(once I locate a turntable),
Bob... I have one that I tried to sell in my garage sale but it didnt sell. It was my fathers, Im assuming it works... if you want it... you can have it if you pay for me to ship it to you.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What type of output jacks does it have?

Latest Discussions