goodbye

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Big Pat
With all due respect I don't think you wasted anyone's time by being a particpant on this forum. Everyone expands their Kenpo knowledge by the questions and answers given here. Best of luck to you in your journey.
:asian:
EKP RIP
Big Pat

So true, and even of you leave kenpo, please, don't leave MT, you're great and we will sincerely miss you.

Lucía

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by arnisador
Most instructors will find a way to work this out for you (temporary financial issues).

Yes, talk to him about this problem. Or even if you don't want to, try to gather with some friends from your school to train now and then.

C

Chuck

Yay. Stick with it. Yeah. Talk to your instructor. Our's is always willing to listen and suggest ideas for difficulties.

It's good to hear this.

Chuck

T

TLH3rdDan

glad to see your not giving up... but i would suggest talking to your instructor about it... i had a similar situation at my old school where three of my students were about to have to quit because of it... a mom and her two kids... martial arts also gave her the strength to stand up and say that the relationship was no good and it also gave the kids a place to learn self disipline and be around positive up beat people and make new friends so when she said she would have to quit because she could not afford to pay for the classes i simply told her that was not a problem... that she and the kids could continue classes for free if she would help out with making calls to parents and other classmates that had been absent, or other administrative tasks around the school. worked out great... so try talking to you instructor

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As nice as my instructor is, I could never tell him what's going on in my life or ask him to let me slide on some payments. I just couldn't do it. I'd leave first. Hopefully it won't come down to that choice.It would be too embarrassing.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Rachel

Good choice to stay with it. There are other ways to continue training beside monetary payment. Maybe he'd let you take it out in trade. Babysitting, cleaning, administrative duties, etc.

If someone really wants to study usually the instructor will regognize this and be very accomodating.

Rob

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I encourage you talk to your teacher at some point, just to keep him in the loop. There are lots of options available to him/her that you may not be aware of. I have done everything from a sliding fee scale to scholarships, or partial scholarships for people who could not afford to be in my school, but who I had invested time, energy, resources, and they had paid that back with their enthusiasm and committment - notice I did not say ability. This is something I would probably not offer a newby, but with the time you have in, your instructor may value your perserverance, ability, and personality.

I have had people pay tuition on a barter system. Anything from signs to trading lessons for massages; to preparing taxes, or helping teach (warm up the kids) or keeping the school clean. You never can tell, but if you don't talk to your teacher, he/she will never know, or be able to offer you any options ... if in fact there are any. They could be left wondering why you left? Was it anything they did? Or could it have been a situation at the school that could be improved? Etc.

Yours in Kenpo,
-Michael

W

webpage20022003

the title of this thread is goodbye. How come i see this thread keeps going and going????

just a joke:D :p :D :p :p

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Rachel,
I have to agree with the others that have said to talk to your instructor. If you just leave without telling him why, it will cause bad feelings. It could also have him say negative things to other instructors about you. Please, for both your sakes, talk to him He may just surprise you with compassion and understanding. Like some others have stated, most school owners, when faced with the prospect of loosing a student they value, will work something out with you.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Rachel,
There's some good advice being given here! Money isn't everything. I think your instructor would rather have you attending the school even if you couldn't pay for some time. I bet he'll understand if you give him a chance.

W

webpage20022003

what did your instructor say when you told him that you will leave his dojo? did he ask you why?

you can ask your buddy in the dojo to practice with you after the class so that you can learn new material from them. They enhance their skills and you do too

K

Kroy

Originally posted by rachel
You're right. I've been doing some serious thinking. I really don't want to give up the second most important thing in my life. My daughter is number one. I have a big personal problem I'm trying to resolve(impending divorce) and it is obviously stressing me but I know karate is a stabilizing force for me. I need it. It's given me the strength to stand up and say This relationship is not heal;thy.My teacher is not the problem. He's a very nice person and a good teacher. He doesn't know what's going on with my private life. My problem is maybe affording it down the road but I'll work it out. So many of you have said karate was there when nothing else was in your lives and I see that now . Stopping my training would be very foolish so I'll keep with it as long as I can.

Hey, Hey. Three cheers for Rachel. It would have been a great loss if you had to leave. Some of the most rewarding things in my life came about because of Karate and I came close to quitting a couple of times(sure glad I didnt). I agree with the other guy's, I would talk to my instructor and let him know your situation, you wont have to ask him for help...I just know he'll give it. And I understand completely when you say that your daughter comes first. Keep on kicking.:asian:

Y

yilisifu

I am so pleased that you have decided to stay with us! Don't keep your instructor "out of the loop." Let him know what's going on. He's probably already seen that SOMETHING is different and I imagine he's wondering what's going on.

Just tell him that finances may be tight for a while. You may be surprised at his response. Don't just drop out if the money gets to be a problem. If your teacher knows your situation and he's a good person, things will work out fine.

Right now, I imagine you really NEED martial arts. For YOURSELF. You have to take care of YOU because YOU take care of your little girl and she desperately needs you - and needs for you to take care of yourself. If you don't, no one else will.

All of us are always here. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry I wasted your time. Rachel

Time spent in MA is never wasted.

I had a teacher that said to do Zen 1 second in your whole life will change your life to something better. That's the way I feel about MA, and I think you been given something valuable, and it'll be with you all the way.

Take care, and be honest to yourself.

/Yari

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rachel:

Talk To Your Instructor. If you feel strange explaining the situation, you don't have to say much beyond "I'm having some difficult marital and financial issues at the moment..." and go in with an offer of what else you can do for the school... Observe the studio and watch what needs to be done and what you see your instructor doing before and after class. Does he vacuum? clean the windows? mail out notices for students needing to pay their fees? Offer to do stuff like this in exchange for a discount rather than a freebie.

Best of luck!!!

-N-

S

shoshiman

Hi Rachel,

Sorry to hear about your life problems. Hopefully, it will get resolved as quickly and painless as possible. and find a way to continue your training unabated.

I wish you strong resolve, and happiness in the future.

Peace and Respect :asian:

Shoshiman
PS Please do not think that you've wasted anyone's time. It has been productive the time you spent here and in the dojo.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rachel,
Your young in the art. I think you will find that no matter how many problems you face, your karate school is the one place you can come to escape or better said to concentratate on the physical you instead of the divorced,depressed, or overwhelmed you.
Sean

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You're right. I've been doing some serious thinking. I really don't want to give up the second most important thing in my life. My daughter is number one. I have a big personal problem I'm trying to resolve(impending divorce) and it is obviously stressing me but I know karate is a stabilizing force for me. I need it. It's given me the strength to stand up and say This relationship is not heal;thy.My teacher is not the problem. He's a very nice person and a good teacher. He doesn't know what's going on with my private life. My problem is maybe affording it down the road but I'll work it out. So many of you have said karate was there when nothing else was in your lives and I see that now . Stopping my training would be very foolish so I'll keep with it as long as I can.

If it's a money thing you are worried about, and your teacher is as good as you make him seem on here, then talk to him, maybe you will be able to work something out. It has been my experience in my short 17 years in the arts, that the truly good instructors aren't really interested in the $$$$, so long as they can pay for their premises and such.
I could give you a great long post on all the truly fantastic things I have recieved due to my karate training, and how my life is truely blessed, but youd get bored and the moderators would have to snip my post for taking up too much space.:)
Suffice to say if you have the passion, the way will appear. Of that I am certain.
Oh and by the way, you have never wasted our time here.

--Dave

:asian:

S

stacks

goodbye , sorry to see you go :confused: , I'm hopefull that when you get things sorted out that you will look into the arts once again.

respectfully yours
Stacks

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As nice as my instructor is, I could never tell him what's going on in my life or ask him to let me slide on some payments. I just couldn't do it. I'd leave first. Hopefully it won't come down to that choice.It would be too embarrassing.
Rachel, I'm glad to see you're staying in the arts. Looking through this thread, I see lots of excellent advise from people who care about you. Please give your instructor credit for being just as caring. I know that financial and personal stresses can play havoc on your life and your training (BOY, do I know), but your posts indicate that you're an intellegent and thoughtful person, one who has more inner strength than she realizes. Keep your head up, tap that strength, and don't be too embarrassed to take a little help once in a while-just to get you through. And please let us know how you're doing. Even though you've probably never met most of us, you obviously have friends here.

All the best to you and your daughter,
Randy Strausbaugh

Latest Discussions