goodbye

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to say goodbye to everyone. I think I'm giving up karate. I've just lost my enthusiasm for it. I have a lot of things going on in my life right now. You all have been very helpful and nice to me and I appreciate it. I'm sorry I wasted your time. Rachel

E

Eggman

If thats the case good luck, but werent you about ready to start sparring, what happened?

M

MartialArtsGuy

thats a bummer, is it martial arts all together or just what you are taking. if its just what you are taking than i recommend finding a different system that is more to your liking and meets your needs. How about kickboxing. its a great work out and can be used for self defense. Maybe a fresh perspective is what you need. I could be wrong but maybe ill be helpfull.
:D

C

Chuck

OK, goodbye if you must. We all hit plateaus that have us thinking it is time to layoff, for a while or for good.

I hit them frequently. At 51 my body does not respond well to hard training. I force myself into the Dojang and dig in.

Of course I din't think that you have to be actively practicing a martial art to be a member of this site.

So maybe not "goodbye", but "see ya later".

Best of fortune to you.

Chuck

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You do what ya gotta do, But if you ever want to make a road trip up to Mass to work out on a saturday. Look me and katgurl up at Progressive Martial Arts. On saturday American Kenpo and systema, you know just in case you need to get rid of some stress.

Best of luck in what ever you do and where ever you go, and if your ever around call us or PM.

Dan Brady.:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by rachel
I just wanted to say goodbye to everyone. I think I'm giving up karate. I've just lost my enthusiasm for it. I have a lot of things going on in my life right now. You all have been very helpful and nice to me and I appreciate it. I'm sorry I wasted your time. Rachel

Don't quit, please. There must be someone out there than can rekindle your enthusiasm! There is room in your life for that. Please reconsider!:)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a shame :(

But, you can always jump right back in in a couple of years if you miss it and you want to!

Ian

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rachel,
You must follow your own road and if leaving the martial arts now is what you feel you have to do then do it. However do not think that you waisted anyone's time here and certainly not your own.

You take with you some valuable lessons and material that will never leave you and as long you have been learning in your school and here you have not waisted anyone's time.

Plus your Kempo will always be a part of you and it will be there when you find the desire to pick it up and learn again.

Ginsu

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect I don't think you wasted anyone's time by being a particpant on this forum. Everyone expands their Kenpo knowledge by the questions and answers given here. Best of luck to you in your journey.
:asian:
EKP RIP
Big Pat

K

KenpoDragon

Sorry....Rachel that I never had the opportunity to talk to you,good luck with whatever choices you make.I don't think anything that you truly put your heart in to is a waste of time.Hope you come back to the Kenpo/Kempo family,we'll miss you.:asian:

With honor and respect,
KenpoDragon

Salutation for our sister.:wavey:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel

Rachel,

I don't scour the boards much but you did not waste my time. I enjoyed seeing your progress and enthusiasm.

I'd like to know why you dropped out. PM me if you like. I hope you can stay focused on what you want even if it is not some type of karate.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear you have to leave the arts :( . Keep it close to your heart and if you feel it start to rekindle again then try once again. :asian: :asian:

Salute,

Y

yilisifu

Our time was never wasted with you. I know that life sometimes makes things very difficult and it's easy for us to lose our enthusiasm for some things that we love. Think before you jump. We're all always here to help in any ways we can!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rachel, I think detect something besides a loss of enthusiasm. I've seen myself thinking the exact same thing a few times in my MA lifetime and it was never truly a loss of enthusiasm. Something happen at the school? Instructor allowing things outside the dojo/kwoon to affect the way he teaches? Anything like that? I've read quite a few of your posts and cannot believe someone with such a vibrant love for the art could just lose the enthusiasm for it. I came so close to quitting recently that I folded my gi and belt and put them in a box. I was disillusioned with all martial arts because of the actions of one instructor. After some serious thought I realized that martial arts was too much a part of me to just lose interest. Take a break if you must, change styles if you must but certainly reconsider leaving the MAs all together. For myself, an instructor change was called for and that change required an art change. I left my beloved kenpo and now study nihon goshin aikido. I love it and the way Sensei teaches. If my kenpo instructor had taught the same way I would have still been doing kenpo. Just a few thougts that popped into my head. Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with.

P

Posiview

Don't quit - just take a break!

Take 6 month off and reassess your circumstances; then, perhaps visit a few other dojos/look into a few different styles ((((Ju jitsu!))) and see how you feel!!

Best wishes............

Andy Sheader

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
Rachel, I think detect something besides a loss of enthusiasm. I've seen myself thinking the exact same thing a few times in my MA lifetime and it was never truly a loss of enthusiasm. Something happen at the school? Instructor allowing things outside the dojo/kwoon to affect the way he teaches? Anything like that? I've read quite a few of your posts and cannot believe someone with such a vibrant love for the art could just lose the enthusiasm for it. I came so close to quitting recently that I folded my gi and belt and put them in a box. I was disillusioned with all martial arts because of the actions of one instructor. After some serious thought I realized that martial arts was too much a part of me to just lose interest. Take a break if you must, change styles if you must but certainly reconsider leaving the MAs all together. For myself, an instructor change was called for and that change required an art change. I left my beloved kenpo and now study nihon goshin aikido. I love it and the way Sensei teaches. If my kenpo instructor had taught the same way I would have still been doing kenpo. Just a few thougts that popped into my head. Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with.
You're right. I've been doing some serious thinking. I really don't want to give up the second most important thing in my life. My daughter is number one. I have a big personal problem I'm trying to resolve(impending divorce) and it is obviously stressing me but I know karate is a stabilizing force for me. I need it. It's given me the strength to stand up and say This relationship is not heal;thy.My teacher is not the problem. He's a very nice person and a good teacher. He doesn't know what's going on with my private life. My problem is maybe affording it down the road but I'll work it out. So many of you have said karate was there when nothing else was in your lives and I see that now . Stopping my training would be very foolish so I'll keep with it as long as I can.

P

pineapple head

Hey Rachel,

I have been there also.
I have had a LOT of personal problems lately and felt like given up Kenpo...why ..i think to punish myself ..to feel sorry for myself.
I was so sick i decided to take away something that i love doing.
I resisted this temptation and went to class, half heartadly most of the time but i made the effort to go.
I am pleased i did as i feel a much stronger person now , Kenpo has made a great impact on my life.
Tell your instuctor your problems , it really helps , believe me.
My instructor gave me some great advice and most of all listened to all my moans and groans.
I hope you sort it all out.

Gary. :asian:

Latest Discussions