Goodbye 'Grasshopper'

I'd just heard this on the radio. Such sad news.
He will be missed.

No matter what you think of what David Carradine and the Bruce Lee argument, his portrayal of Kwai Chang Kane was seminal for a lot of people in MA. An icon...

"I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions."

Unusual circumstances though?

I loved his series and by coincidence I am watching the second season now. :asian: He will be missed.

Arguably one of the biggest influences for Westerners to become involved in Martial Arts.

Rest in peace.

I didn't even know there were "politics" involved with him let along a Carradine vs Lee argument (I suppose it's about who's better?).

It's a shame the way he went though, nobody should ever "check out" by hanging oneself. I liked his movies too.

Last edited:
Arguably one of the biggest influences for Westerners to become involved in Martial Arts.
True,
There were other (actual) martial artists during the early 1970s.
But today’s digital ‘yutes - now dispersed viewing 200+ TV channels & Internet – may have trouble comprehending the impact to popular cultural and martial arts participation when ABC started broadcasting the Kung Fu pilot movie and TV series in 1972.

A sad end to another aging Hollywood actor.
RIP

Very sad indeed to have heard this news today.

The character he crafted in Kung Fu became a cliche of the Eastern Martial Artist precisely because of the positive core qualities that fictional monk embodied.

Mr. Carradine went on to play some memorable characters in martial arts and main stream movies and always portrayed that engaging laconic style whether it came to the trading of blows or the exchange of wits.

I find it hard to fathom that such a man would suicide at his years, tho' I suppose depression can strike us all at any time. On that side, I shall await what the reports will bring and hold my judgement.

As to the man and the roles he gifted to us, I shall miss him :sensei rei:.

Back