Good Jian/Gim?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been eyeing those butterfly swords. They're not exactly like the ones we use , but close enough if we're taliking a quality sword.
Anyone have these that could pass along a review?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been eyeing those butterfly swords. They're not exactly like the ones we use , but close enough if we're taliking a quality sword.
Anyone have these that could pass along a review?

are you talking about the ones from Traditionalphillipinoweaponry? I've got them. I love them. I don't love the sheath they came with, I had a friend make a new one. but the knives are really nice, quality, comfortable.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
are you talking about the ones from Traditionalphillipinoweaponry? I've got them. I love them. I don't love the sheath they came with, I had a friend make a new one. but the knives are really nice, quality, comfortable.

Yes, those are the ones.
So do they hold up well in 2 man work....say, knives vs pole training?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, those are the ones.
So do they hold up well in 2 man work....say, knives vs pole training?

I've not done any interactive work like that, just forms. They are quite sharp, I would not use them for interactive training, I think it would be very dangerous. Too expensive to file them down to make them safe. I'd get a cheaper blunted pair for that.

I think they are solid, I think they would hold up, the guards are thick steel, I believe the blade has good integrity. I cannot see the tang so I don't know how thick it is, but I'm going on faith. I exchanged a couple emails with the guy who runs the website, he seems upright and believes in the construction of these. I just don't think they are the right ones for contact training because of their sharpness, and over time they would get beat up, maybe not the best way to spend money for that kind of exercise. But when the zombies rise up and the world turns upside down, believe me, I'll be keeping these close at hand.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've not done any interactive work like that, just forms. They are quite sharp, I would not use them for interactive training, I think it would be very dangerous. Too expensive to file them down to make them safe. I'd get a cheaper blunted pair for that. I think they are solid, I think they would hold up, the guards are thick steel, I believe the blade has good integrity. I cannot see the tang so I don't know how thick it is, but I'm going on faith. I exchanged a couple emails with the guy who runs the website, he seems upright and believes in the construction of these. I just don't think they are the right ones for contact training because of their sharpness, and over time they would get beat up, maybe not the best way to spend money for that kind of exercise. But when the zombies rise up and the world turns upside down, believe me, I'll be keeping these close at hand.
I guess if they're that sharp i'd better not use them for 2 man work...I hate accidently killing training partners...it's so messy and then you have to worry about hiding the bodiy.I do want to get a pair though, like you said, probably pretty effective against zombies.

Ynze

White Belt
Reaction score