Good Chest pads/Protectors?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have put it off for as long as I can, but since having open heart surgery, I have to be REALLY careful about my contact when sparring and practicing techniques. With this in mind, I am in the market for a good, light and preferably thin/moldable chest protector that I can wear under my karategi top if possible.

Any suggestions?

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not entirely certain that what you're looking for exists. For the best protection to movement ratio though, I like the Tony Blauer suits. The High Gear models. You can buy them by the piece. They work really well.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about telling your partner(s):"Don't hit me in the chest, I'm about to have open heart surgery."? That ought to calm them down...

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about telling your partner(s):"Don't hit me in the chest, I'm about to have open heart surgery."? That ought to calm them down...

Good Idea! Actually, I had it back in December. When they see the giant scar on my chest, most partners get just a wee bit uneasy anyway - that's why I wear a T-shirt under the karategi all the time now...

I have considered blocking better, too....

In a completely unrelated note, if you ever have the chance to get your chest ripped open and have someone elbow deep in there...pass it up. It's not really as much fun as I make it sound!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a kid (18) come back into our dojang with some sort of surgery and had a scar from his check to his belly button. I think he came back a little too soon as he would bleed from the scar during training. No one even touch him. Just the twisting and movement was enough to open the scar, made me really nervous.

Latest Discussions