Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/autos/GM_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors has recalled 1.3 million Chevrolet and Pontiac models in North America for power steering failures that are tied to 14 crashes and one injury in the United States, the company said Tuesday.
The recall affects 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 models sold in the United States, 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit vehicles sold in Canada, and 2005-2006 Pontiac G4 models sold in Mexico.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got home from work. Busy day. I was going to post this.

Thanks

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
will they scrutinize them as they did toyota?
will there be a congressional hearing?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
will they scrutinize them as they did toyota?
will there be a congressional hearing?

Jinx,

Here is the problem, I can go show lots of recalls right. Lots and lots, from all the manufacturers.

Some are more critical than others.

The big issue with the Toyota problem is the following:

Over a Decade of deniability
Refusing to hand over documents that NHTSA requested
Solutions that continue to not fix the problem completly

The rest all show a solution. The rest turn over documents that NHTSA requests and work with them. The rest do not have a history of deniability on a major issue such as unintended accelerations.

Ford and the Ingition switch turned over their documents and worked with NHTSA.

Toyota thought they could ignore the US agency and tell them NO.

They have found out they were wrong.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jinx,

Over a Decade of deniability
The rest do not have a history of deniability on a major issue such as unintended accelerations.

Toyota thought they could ignore the US agency and tell them NO.

They have found out they were wrong.

Perhaps I missed something, But I thought the Acceleration issues were recent.... not Decades.

Your right, everyone has recalls.... no big deal, but to claim that for Decades they have Denied it.... thats trying to reclaim ALL the recalls they have, not the most recent ones that caused the major issues.

Brakes and accelerators are a recent Safety Concern.... not decades

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps I missed something, But I thought the Acceleration issues were recent.... not Decades.

Your right, everyone has recalls.... no big deal, but to claim that for Decades they have Denied it.... thats trying to reclaim ALL the recalls they have, not the most recent ones that caused the major issues.

Brakes and accelerators are a recent Safety Concern.... not decades

The recalls go back to 1998 vehicles.

Toyota threw CTS there current Pedal supplier under the bus saying it was an American Quality issue. CTS was not a supplier in 1998 and 1999. The complaints go back to before 1998, but it is harder to find the internet articles. Do a search Toyota unintended accel LA Times. That is a good place to start.

The Brakes on the Prius go back to Gen one which is not quite a Decade, but I did not say the Brakes were the issue. I said there were complaints in general that went back over a decade. And Toyota has blamed it all on matts and pedals and hard parts. Never on the electronics of algorithms.

NHTSA asked to see the algorithms. Toyota denied them access or to turn over the documents. Congress decided an investigation was in order.

Check some of the other articles I have posted here as it has some other links as well.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd still buy a Toyota.

Bob, I would not tell you to NOT buy anything.

My point in this all along is that it is perception. Not a real measurable number. It is all what people think is high quality or what is better. If the people writing the article all say the world is getting warmer than the world is getting warmer. If they all say Push rod engines are 19th century technology, and that only people who use Over head Cams or Dual Over Head Cams then the company was not in the game. No matter what the people were buying or what the real quality was. It all becames an issue about what some say and others choose to believe.

In reality if you look at the top five manufacturers by the US Numbers in alphabetical order. Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, and Toyota all are in the same league for quality and for reliability.

If you find something you like about a vehicle then buy it.

If you find a dealership that treats you well then buy from them even if they sell something you may not know. If they treat you well and their service is well then you can work with them.

Enjoy

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2010/03/bob_lutz_blames_toyota-backed.html

Bob Lutz blames Toyota-backed supplier for General Motors' recall

Speaking at the Geneva Motor show this week, Lutz pointed the finger at Jtekt Corporation, the Japanese supplier that produced the power steering system. Toyota holds a 22.5 ownership stake in the company.
March 2, BBC News: "This is a case where, yes, we would blame a partially Toyota-owned supplier."

Mr Lutz said the supplier had not met "all requirements for reliability and durability".

"So we will have to see who takes financial responsibility," he said. "But this is a risk you sometimes take when you buy a complete system from a supplier."

And I agree that the blame game should not be played, but as Bob Lutz has stated he will retire soon, and he might be taking some parting shots at Toyota as they did the Blame game on CTS to try to divert the heat from themselves.

As stated since GM came out with the Recall and was transparent instead of first blaming suppliers and then ...

Playing the blame game may not be a great public relations strategy for General Motors, but the company has otherwise responded to their recall with a transparency that could have saved Toyota a great deal of grief.

Just a list of what vehicles are effected.
GM's recall affects 2005 to 2010 Chevrolet Cobalts, 2007 to 2010 Pontiac G5s, 2005 and 2006 Pontiac Pursuits sold in Canada and 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G4s sold in Mexico.

BBC Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8544989.stm

Jtekt Link: http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...m-recalls-power-steering-motors-update2-.html

Transparent Link: http://socialmediainfluence.com/2010/03/02/should-general-motors-be-tweeting-recall-news/

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Per: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2010/03/stepping_up_to_power_steering_recall.html#comments

Stepping Up to Power Steering Recall

Jamie Hresko
GM Vice President, Quality
I’ve been watching how people are reacting to our voluntary recall of the 1.3 million compact cars that we announced late Monday, and I think it is important to clarify and expand on a few things. First and foremost, owners and customers of Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G4, G5 and Pursuit models need to understand that even if their power steering assist suddenly stops working, their vehicles can be steered manually.
The steering effort required could be greater below 15 miles per hour, but steering control is always possible.

Note: That the assist is what could be the problem and that there could be a greater effort required a slower speeds where there is more rolling resistance.

On Monday, I drove a Cobalt in which we reproduced this condition to understand what customers may experience. Usually, this condition presents itself when the cars have been driven 20,000-30,000 miles.
While we have the same electronic power steering system in the Chevrolet HHR and Saturn ION, these vehicles are not included in the recall because every vehicle has unique tuning, tires and chassis, which causes some vehicles to be more susceptible to this condition than others.

Note: Not all with this part were recalled as per the above, some vehicle dynamics are more susceptible than others.

We are working with our steering system supplier on repair scenarios, which could include repairing or replacing the steering motor. We will share more information, including when customers can expect notification, as soon as we have all the details worked out.
We decided to do the safety recall to help customers have peace of mind that we are stepping up to this issue.

Latest Discussions