Global warming: Lovelock's retreat...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man made global warming alarmism takes another hit today...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/04/the_last_days_of_global_warming_theory.html

! [/URL]Well, he has retreated, at any rate. Much like the legend of Galileo he has mumbled under his breath "and yet it still moves" (an unproven comment attributed to Galileo at his heresy trial.) Lovelock has stated that, while he was "alarmist" still there is Global Warming, but we just can't seem to find it. We've checked all the usual places; in the oceans, in the troposphere, in the ice caps, in the dryer, under the couch, under the pile of junk mail, and the missing heat just isn't to be found. That tricky Gaia! She likes to play with us so!In an interview with MSNBC Lovelock made such statements as:
"The problem is we don't know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books - mine included - because it looked clear-cut, but it hasn't happened,"
"The climate is doing its usual tricks. There's nothing much really happening yet. We were supposed to be halfway toward a frying world now,"
"The world has not warmed up very much since the millennium. Twelve years is a reasonable time... it (the temperature) has stayed almost constant, whereas it should have been rising -- carbon dioxide is rising, no question about that...."

Lovelock was wise to walk this back; too much of the evidence simply fails to justify the catastrophic vision of Global Warming theory.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That actually took a lot of guts. I respect Dr. Lovelock for taking the negative data into account and altering his opinions. I imagine that a lot of people who have been ideologically driven in the past could take this as a lesson from Dr. Lovelock.

Latest Discussions