Global Warming...experts discuss the weather...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Testimony about the lack of effect alleged global warming has had on the weather...from expert witnesses...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/07/bad-day-at-black-rock-for-the-climate-alarmists.php

One of the highlights was when the assembled panel of experts was asked whether any of them could support Barack Obama’s claim that global warming has been accelerating over the last decade:
Warmists were asked: “Can any witnesses say they agree with Obama’s statement that warming has accelerated during the past 10 years?” For several seconds, nobody said a word. Sitting just a few rows behind the expert witnesses, I thought I might have heard a few crickets chirping.
Heh. You can count on Obama to be wrong about pretty much everything.

From expert...Dr. Roy Spencer...
(from wikipedia...
Roy Warren Spencer is a climatologist, Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA's Aqua satellite.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] He has served as Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]
He is known for his satellite-based temperature monitoring work, for which he was awarded theAmerican Meteorological Society's Special Award.[SUP][2][/SUP]
)
You can read Pielke’s prepared testimony here and Spencer’s here. This is from Dr. Spencer’s testimony:

The most indefensible claim regarding climate change from an observational point of view is that severe weather has increased. Meteorologists like me have long known that public perception of weather is skewed by short memories and increasing media sensationalizing of weather disasters.
During globally cool conditions in 1970 a tropical cyclone (hurricane) killed 500,000 people in Bangladesh. Records of such storms killing hundreds of thousands of people extend back to 1582. In contrast, as of this writing, it has been a record 7+ years since a major (Cat 3 or stronger) hurricane has hit the U.S. mainland. New research from northwest Florida, based upon coastal sediments, suggest that the past 600 years has been a period of weaker hurricane activity compared to the 1,000 years before that (Brandon et al., 2013). All of these facts indicate the huge amount of natural variability in tropical cyclones which exists and confounds attempts to determine whether tiny global energy imbalances caused by humans have any noticeable effect. …
From Dr. Pielke’s testimony:
Hurricanes have not increased in the US in frequency, intensity or normalized damage since at least 1900.

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm..I found this part interesting:

It should also be noted that the fact that I believe at least some of recent warming is human-caused places me in the 97% of researchers recently claimed to support the global
warming consensus (actually, it’s 97% of the published papers, Cook et al., 2013). The
97% statement is therefore rather innocuous, since it probably includes all of the global
warming “skeptics” I know of who are actively working in the field. Skeptics generally
are skeptical of the view that recent warming is all human-caused, and/or that it is of a
sufficient magnitude to warrant immediate action given the cost of energy policies to the
poor. They do not claim humans have no impact on climate whatsoever.

I think it illustrates how science and politics need a separation like Church and State have been getting.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this...

http://www.epw.senate.gov/public/in...Store_id=16e80c55-9ebf-42e4-852e-1f6e960b0902

2) The level of warming in the most recent 15 year period is not significantly different from zero, despite this being the period of greatest greenhouse gas concentration. This is in stark contrast to claims that warming is “accelerating”.
3) The level of observed tropical atmospheric warming since 1979 is dramatically different from that predicted by climate models; it is below all 73 models we have analyzed the output from (see Fig. 2).