Glenn Beck, stark-raving "Wingnut:"-yet again!!!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jon Stewart is an equal opportunity fun-poker. And sadly, as entertainer he delivers better news than the news outlets....
Agreed. Part of why Stewart gets some of the traction that he does is that aside from being truly engaging with his chosen audience (and I think Stewart's is a bit broader than Becks), the qualilty of news outlets has declined to such a degree that not-newsmen are just about as informative, sometimes more so.

Beck on the other hand....Instigator is more like it.
In truth, I haven't listened to Beck for long enough at a stretch to form an opinion of how informative he actually is. I don't care for his delivery or his manner all that much, and some elements of his platform simply rub me the wrong way.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But my point is Beck has nothing to do with what someone perceives him to be. Beck is an entertainer thats what he is, how you or I or someone else sees him does not change that. Just because someone think its real does not make it so.
I disagree. Beck creates the persona specifically to create, appeal to and perpetuate the perceptions that people have of him. And while he may technically be an entertainer, he does have a platform that he puts forth and he does so by tapping into the very real concerns of a specific audience.

We all affect the perceptions that people have of us. We aren't all conscious and deliberate about it, but people in the media are. And they are consious and deliberate specifically because they want people to perceive them in a specific way.

The other end of the equasion, which I touched on in my response to Granfire, is that the major news outlets have become tabloid news and the line between entertainers and actual reporting has become blurred.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree. Beck creates the persona specifically to create, appeal to and perpetuate the perceptions that people have of him. And while he may technically be an entertainer, he does have a platform that he puts forth and he does so by tapping into the very real concerns of a specific audience.

We all affect the perceptions that people have of us. We aren't all conscious and deliberate about it, but people in the media are. And they are consious and deliberate specifically because they want people to perceive them in a specific way.

The other end of the equasion, which I touched on in my response to Granfire, is that the major news outlets have become tabloid news and the line between entertainers and actual reporting has become blurred.

So what's he supposed to do? Say hey don't listen to me. Hey I'm full of crap but tune in anyway. You can't hold some accountable for what others do.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what's he supposed to do? Say hey don't listen to me. Hey I'm full of crap but tune in anyway. You can't hold some accountable for what others do.
Methinks you need to step back and read what I've posted. Where have I held any one person accountable while not holding others accountable?

As for whether he's full of crap or not, I don't go that far. I'd have to really listen to him consistently for long enough to determine if he's simply reflecting political bias or he actually is full of crap. The same goes for Stewart. Both men present themselves as being politically relevant. Technically, everyone knows that Jon Stewart is a political comedian. But he goes to great lengths to influence the political system and to sway his audience to his political preferences. Beck does the exact same thing. So does Rush Limbaugh. Any and every pundit is aware of how they are perceived and they go to great lengths to perpetuate those perceptions, regardless of how correct they are.

So to answer your question, Beck is supposed to do the job for which he is getting paid. And by all accounts he seems to be doing just that. It isn't about what he's supposed to do. It's about what we, the people are supposed to do. The people are supposed to be informed enough to already know the issues and vote responsibly. Part of having a government of, for, and by the people is that the people are the government. We select officials from amongst ourselves to facilitate operation of the government so that we can live freely.

The problem is that people collectively look to the government to solve their problems and they look to pundits to furnish them with political opinions.

I have no hard criticisms of Glen Beck. What little I have seen of him has led me to conclude that his show is not for me. Shostakovich isn't for me either; I'd rather listen to Beethoven. No value judgement.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, I’m reading through this thread and making some observations.

I see post after post of people trying to be funny, calling Beck a “nutter” or “moonie” or whatever. Your standard name-calling fare that’s typical here. I guess because it’s easier than rubbing two brain cells together.

I see billc actually trying to make a point or two which are actually in relation to the OP for a change, and they are largely ignored. Again, I suppose attempts to be witty are more important than addressing an actual point related to the supposed topic.

I see the thread further degenerate into a comparison between Back and Jon Stewart and what “news” is really “news”, and what’s not.

What I don’t see, is much of anything in regards to what Beck was referring to in the OP. Instead I see 3 pages of pretty much nothing of any value.

If you’re capable of putting aside your personal feelings about Mr. Beck for a moment, let’s attempt to actually discuss some actual findings in regards to his concerns with this particular Saudi, shall we? Or shall we continue with the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] grade playground antics instead? You decide; however, I’ll give you the opportunity to participate in the former.

Some of those nasty “fact-thingies”:

• A Saudi national, Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, was initially identified as a “person of interest” in the Boston Marathon bombing.
  • He was set to be deported under section 212 3B (Security and related grounds in relation to terrorist activity)
  • This designation is not easily applied to an individual nor is it easily removed. Solid evidence is required in support of said designation before tagging someone with it.
  • DHS Secretary Napolitano has refused to answer any questions about him, even when confronted by Jeff Duncan [R] who is a member of the House Homeland Security Committee
  • Since Napolitano refused, Duncan and the House Homeland Security Committee (who seem to be kept out of the loop on this) have sent her an official letter requesting a classified briefing on the matter.
  • Alharbi was allegedly previously flagged on a terrorist watch list as reported by FOX News. However, he still received a student visa
  • Alharbi’s student visa specifically shows him attending school in Findlay, Ohio yet his apartment is in Boston, Massachusetts approximately 800 miles away.
  • Following the bombing, Secretary of State John Kerry met with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud. Shortly after their meeting, the FBI changed Alharbi’s status.
  • The day after Kerry’s meeting, President Obama had a “chance” encounter with Minister Saud and Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir. How fortuitous!

Entertaining the thought that something is indeed rotten in Denmark, why would this Saudi national get the “royal” treatment? Alharbi’s status as a “suspect” was dropped altogether, but he’s still being “deported.”

Some other key points to ponder:

• Several Saudi nationals were allowed to leave the country following 9/11 even though flights were grounded
  • The Bush administration blocked the investigation into the Saudi involvement of 9/11 and forced redaction of 28 pages from the 9/11 Commission’s report in regards to Saudi support for some of the Al-Qaeda hijackers.
  • Even though 15 of the 19 hijackers involved in 9/11 were Saudi nationals, Saudi Arabia was just granted “Trusted Traveler” status, a status not granted to some of the US’s most trusted allies.

On what planet does any of that qualify as “common sense” policy?

Still think it’s nonsense? Fine, please provide a logical, well-though out retort. “Fact-thingies” are appreciated and if you can’t tell the difference between them and “fee-wings” please do not bother to reply.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he did.

From Celtic_Crippler's post above on the previous page...

Some of those nasty “fact-thingies”:

• A Saudi national, Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, was initially identified as a “person of interest” in the Boston Marathon bombing.
  • He was set to be deported under section 212 3B (Security and related grounds in relation to terrorist activity)
  • This designation is not easily applied to an individual nor is it easily removed. Solid evidence is required in support of said designation before tagging someone with it.
  • DHS Secretary Napolitano has refused to answer any questions about him, even when confronted by Jeff Duncan [R] who is a member of the House Homeland Security Committee
  • Since Napolitano refused, Duncan and the House Homeland Security Committee (who seem to be kept out of the loop on this) have sent her an official letter requesting a classified briefing on the matter.
  • Alharbi was allegedly previously flagged on a terrorist watch list as reported by FOX News. However, he still received a student visa
  • Alharbi’s student visa specifically shows him attending school in Findlay, Ohio yet his apartment is in Boston, Massachusetts approximately 800 miles away.
  • Following the bombing, Secretary of State John Kerry met with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud. Shortly after their meeting, the FBI changed Alharbi’s status.
  • The day after Kerry’s meeting, President Obama had a “chance” encounter with Minister Saud and Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir. How fortuitous!
He said he would talk about the Saudi national who was taken into custody and he did. He went through information on his status on the terrorist watch list, the beginning of an event file on the guy after the bombing, his designation at the highest level of risk and the National Counter Terrorism Center designation code that he recieved...and then it was lifted without explanation...

Now since he never accused the government of participating in the bombing, which the post said he did, he didn't go into that at all...

What is funny to me is that Beck is a commentator on the News. He brings up stories that the democrat media is covering and more importantly a lot of the stories the democrat media don't cover or barely cover...for example the attack in Bhengazi, the trial of serial killer abortionist Kermit Gosnell, which some of the journalists for the democrat media have actually stated they haven't covered because it might put abortion in a bad light.

Beck gives opinions on these stories, and then he has knowledgeable guests on...Senator Rand Paul, Former Presecutor Andrew McCarthy, the man who got the conviction on the "Blind Sheik," the master mind of the first attack on the World Trade Center, Steven Emmersen, an expert on radical islam...and he interviews them. And yet people who admit they never watch his show, when it was on MSNBC or was it CNN, and then when it was on FOX cable news, and have never listened to the show on the radio...define him as a wing nut...

As to FOX cable news...the actual news portion of the evening here in Illinois is from 5-7 at night, and then the opinion hosts come on...O'Reilly, Hannity, Greta...Keep in mind that the FOX news hour is hosted by a raging liberal, Shepard Smith.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so he produces a lot of people who have to sing for their supper....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, he did.

From Celtic_Crippler's post above on the previous page...

He said he would talk about the Saudi national who was taken into custody and he did. He went through information on his status on the terrorist watch list, the beginning of an event file on the guy after the bombing, his designation at the highest level of risk and the National Counter Terrorism Center designation code that he recieved...and then it was lifted without explanation...
I read through that. I was wondering if the video was incomplete.

Now since he never accused the government of participating in the bombing, which the post said he did, he didn't go into that at all...
I was wondering where that came from. Perhaps the OP could elaborate. Again, I was wondering if the video was incomplete.

What is funny to me is that Beck is a commentator on the News. He brings up stories that the democrat media is covering and more importantly a lot of the stories the democrat media don't cover or barely cover...for example the attack in Bhengazi, the trial of serial killer abortionist Kermit Gosnell, which some of the journalists for the democrat media have actually stated they haven't covered because it might put abortion in a bad light.
Gotta love corporate news.

Beck gives opinions on these stories, and then he has knowledgeable guests on...Senator Rand Paul, Former Presecutor Andrew McCarthy, the man who got the conviction on the "Blind Sheik," the master mind of the first attack on the World Trade Center, Steven Emmersen, an expert on radical islam...and he interviews them. And yet people who admit they never watch his show, when it was on MSNBC or was it CNN, and then when it was on FOX cable news, and have never listened to the show on the radio...define him as a wing nut...
Defining someone as a wing nut is a way to marginalize what they have to say. I think that it is important to listen to what someone has to say before defining them.

As to FOX cable news...the actual news portion of the evening here in Illinois is from 5-7 at night, and then the opinion hosts come on...O'Reilly, Hannity, Greta...Keep in mind that the FOX news hour is hosted by a raging liberal, Shepard Smith.
While I'm not a fan of Fox, they're no less credible than other media outlets in my opinion.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By singing, you mean going on television and radio programs I assume. If they are actually singing, I'd love to know how they sound. :)

Probably no better than the handful of soldiers trying their hand - or mouth and vocal chords - on the Army song.....it was rather bad last Saturday :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where do you guys find these people? Did they close down some mental health facility and just let the patients loose?

Yes, several years ago that began in the USA. I don't know if that explains the likes of these people thought.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thinking about it further…

And I don’t know why this didn’t occur to me sooner…

I wonder how much of this “favoritism” is tied to the agreement Nixon brokered with the Saudi’s in 1973 regarding “oil for dollars”… US dollars to be exact.

With today’s international “Currency Wars” it wouldn’t be prudent for the US to not kiss the Saudi’s collective buttocks whenever they demanded.

If you have absolutely no idea what I’m referring to or talking about, I recommend you do yourself a favor and research it. If you’re here, then you have internet access and there’s no excuse.

Read up on it and compare it to international current events as well. Let us know what you come up with.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this interesting interview Glenn Beck conducted about the Muslim plan to take over the USA from within:

[video=youtube_share;IotQJmCt1O0]http://youtu.be/IotQJmCt1O0[/video]

A closer look at Obama's credentials:

[video=youtube_share;l-HqHSkYG-Y]http://youtu.be/l-HqHSkYG-Y[/video]

What happens to Christians in Dearborn, Michigan for sharing the Gospel:
&

An instructor at Florida Atlantic University required his students to stomp on the name of JESUS written on sheets of paper:

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this interesting interview Glenn Beck conducted about the Muslim plan to take over the USA from within:

&

An instructor at Florida Atlantic University required his students to stomp on the name of JESUS written on sheets of paper:
Okay, I have question for you, Grumpy. As a Christian, why are you so concerned about who runs the US? Christian theology teaches that we are pilgrims who are in the world, not of the world. We await the return of Christ and our place in either Heaven, or in the new earth that is to come. This earth, according to Revelation, is transiatory and will fade away. So from that perspective, the fate of the US shouldn't really be a concern, so why chase conspiracy theories?

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

&

Okay, I have question for you, Grumpy. As a Christian, why are you so concerned about who runs the US? Christian theology teaches that we are pilgrims who are in the world, not of the world. We await the return of Christ and our place in either Heaven, or in the new earth that is to come. This earth, according to Revelation, is transiatory and will fade away. So from that perspective, the fate of the US shouldn't really be a concern, so why chase conspiracy theories?

It's been a few months. I'm still curious as to your answer, Grumpy.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been a few months. I'm still curious as to your answer, Grumpy.

fa_monkey.jpg

Latest Discussions