Glen Morris

N

nbcdecon

Has anyone read "Marrtial arts Madness" by Glen Morris? I read this book awhile back. This book had some good insight by drawing a correlation between Chinese , Japanese,Indian (yogic) breathing. I am not a big Ninjitsu fan but this book is good reading. Great mind candy Glenn Morris is a GM for Texas, Bujinkan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nbcdecon

Glenn Morris is a GM for Texas, Bujinkan

Do you mean to say that he is a grandmaster? There are more than one? Or do you mean general manager or something?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the only Grandmaster for Bujinkan is Masaaki Hatsumi.

:confused:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glen Morris is *not* the GM for anything pertaining to the Bujinkan. He has developed his own style of budo based on his experiances...hence the "Soke" title.

On a side note, there are no GM's per area at all in the Buj...there is one Soke - Hatsumi sensei.

eternalwhitebelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have read Martial Arts Madness, I too enjoyed it. He has two other books out that are much better in my opinion. He writes about some crazy stuff. It makes for a great read.

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jay, correct me if I'm wrong. Is'nt Dr. Morris now a 12th Dan under Hatsumi?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to check out his first book, Pathnotes of an American Ninja Master. I was put off by the title and gave it a pass-by until a friend recommended it to me. For my money, it's the best of Dr. Morris' three books.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

OP
J

Jill666

Good to know, I'll have to check him out.

If I had seen that title, I would have given that and anything else by him an automatic pass.

12th Dan? Really? Not to be skeptical or contentious, by what for? Why would someone even want to be a 12th dan, even if there is such a thing? :erg:

You don't have to answer that, in fact, it is probably better you don't. But jeez- it boggles the mind.

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jill666, how else you gonna get to 13TH Dan:cool: IMO Dr. Morriss' books are GREAT for the initiate at meditation, hocus pocus, etc. I really liked "Path Notes" He is also a very cool guy.

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by gozanryu
Jill666, how else you gonna get to 13TH Dan:cool:

Oh, yeah. I didn't think of that. :D

BTW, you have a rather interesting job :boing2:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a seminar certificate in which Professor Chow signed his rank as Jugodan- 15th Degree! That's the cool things about numbers, no matter how high you go, there's always room for more (kinda like Jello).

Newly-appointed Jellodan,
Randy Strausbaugh:asian:

OP
J

Jill666

The exalted rank of Jellodan is not to be attained so easily. For shame!

:soapbox:

(Does whipped cream come with that?) :kiss:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
The exalted rank of Jellodan is not to be attained so easily. For shame!

:soapbox:

(Does whipped cream come with that?) :kiss:
Kinky, Jill. Interesting, but kinky.
I'm still trying to figure out where to fit in the shredded carrots.:D

Senior Soke Jellodan,
Randy Strausbaugh:asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is the rank system in our art a joke to everybody?

Oh yeah... it must be the LACK of pretty colored belts. How unrealistic.

after all, How can we judge our ability if we dont have Pretty orange and Pink and Purple with Polkadot stripe belt ranks.

Sheesh.

OP
J

Jill666

and I never heard of such a thing. I have e-mailed my instructor to enlighten me.

And since I'm working on the green belt, I can see why you comment on the lack of colored belts in Taijutsu. :rolleyes: I'm actually not 100% sold on the need for multiple colored belts and emphasis on rank, but that is the system I have become accustomed to, with 10th dan being reserved for grandmaster- and yes, I tend to think there should be only one (wow- Highlander flashback)

Can you tell me what the ranking system is in your school? I'm really curious now! Please. Pretty please. With carrots on top.

(see Randy- that's where they go)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An organization can set its ranks however it sees fit. While at some point the numbers may seem a bit odd to those outside the system, it may make perfect sence in it.

Kenpo for example has half-ranks and quarter ranks. TKD has quarter ranks. Many do 'stripes'.

I worry less about titles, ranks and levels, and more on how they move myself.

gozanryu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jill, in my style the belt ranking is thus: No belt (initiation course for about 90 days, If you want more on that e-mail me), Green Belt, Green Belt w/Black stripe, Blue Belt, Blue Belt w/ Black stripe, 5 kyu Brown, 4th Kyu Brown, 3rd Kyu Brown, 2nd Kyu Brown, 1st Kyu Brown, Black Belt. (only one Black Belt) The ranks are based in material that is covered within the rank, it works out to average times in grade etc. Works for us. That info and $2 will get you a vente house coffee at Starbucks.

OP
J

Jill666

In re: the 12th dan thing.

Um, ok I'm gonna paraphrase since I don't want to misquote my instrustor. (Not wise)

For the kyu blets there are colors- a fairly recent addition probably as a result of the gaijin invading the arts. ;)

For dan belts there are ten black, with a task or attribute to be conquered at each level. BUT beyond Judan, which can be awarded with (I think) three judan recommendations to Hatsumi, are levels again due to certain attributes embodied by the master. Numbers have been given by some, up to 15 as far as my instructor is aware.

There was more info, but that was the meat of the answer I was looking for.

:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
Why is the rank system in our art a joke to everybody?

Oh yeah... it must be the LACK of pretty colored belts. How unrealistic.

after all, How can we judge our ability if we dont have Pretty orange and Pink and Purple with Polkadot stripe belt ranks.

Sheesh.
If you read my post, I wasn't dissing the Bujinkan, just commenting on the subject of stratospheric belt ranks in any/all arts. Touch a nerve? Hey, does that make me...

Senior Soke Professor Kyusho Jellodan With Carrots On Top (Thanks, Jill)
Randy Strausbaugh

Latest Discussions