Glass Ceilings? Try a Glass Floor!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definitely not for those with Acrophobia.
Glass Floor [Pics]
http://www.archibase.net/archinews/14539.html
A glass floor is transparent section of a floor in a building or a boat. Usually made of a reinforced glass, the most common use is as a tourist attraction. Glass bottom boats are popular for allowing a better view into the sea.

The highest above ground level is in the CN Tower in Toronto ( 1815 feet) that can withstand a pressure of 4,100 kilopascals (600 lb/in²). The highest glass floor in a building in Europe is in the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth (557 feet). The highest in Oceania is in the observation deck of Sky Tower in Auckland (1076 feet).

Glass as a flooring material is also in both residential and commercial structures. Special hollow glass blocks known as glass pavers are often used in combination with a steel or aluminum frame.

Attachments

• $glass floor 01.jpg
    $glass floor 01.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 127
  • $glass floor 02.jpg
    $glass floor 02.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 144
  • $glass floor 03.jpg
    $glass floor 03.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 139
  • $glass floor 04.jpg
    $glass floor 04.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 146
  • $glass floor 05.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 130

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was kind of a strange feeling for me as I walked across the glass floor at the CN Tower. It was pretty cool. I figured they wouldn't let me do it if it wasn't safe.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To use a phrase that I always find most illuminating of the depth of feeling ... not for a gold pig would you get me to stand on that!

Holding a gun to my sisters head might get me out there but otherwise ... just looking at the photo's makes my toes curl :lol:.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the one at Grand Canyon West was built strong enough to hold the weight of up to seven 747's or something like that. These things are very safe and for those of us without fear of heights lots and lots of fun!
icon10.gif

Now if you are afraid of heights well then you might find it a tad bit scary.
My wife certainly did but with two boy's ages seven and nine leading the way soon she was walking almost noramlly once we peeled her away from the rails. :rofl:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, I'm a groundbug; heights reduce my synapses to irrational mush :eek:.

I used to go rockclimbing to try and break the phobia but I could never get higher than fifty feet or so :(.

One weird aside tho' is that I could climb with much less fear when I went pot-holing and didn't freak out too badly even when a ladder collapsed and left me dangling over a 200' shaft (tho' watching my carbide lamp cartwheeling to the floor was a sight I could've done without) :eek:!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, I'm a groundbug; heights reduce my synapses to irrational mush :eek:.

I used to go rockclimbing to try and break the phobia but I could never get higher than fifty feet or so :(.

One weird aside tho' is that I could climb with much less fear when I went pot-holing and didn't freak out too badly even when a ladder collapsed and left me dangling over a 200' shaft (tho' watching my carbide lamp cartwheeling to the floor was a sight I could've done without) :eek:!

I'm with Sukerkin here, and let me tell you, fellow acrophobes and vertiginists, you haven't been exposed to fear until you've climbed the outside of a seventy story building in a glass elevator. :xtrmshock

No, I'm not making this up. If you go to the Renaissance Center in Detroit, or any of those other glass curtain silo clusters that Portman became famous for (did he ever actually do anything but that??), you will have access to a glass elevator that crawls ever so slowly (or so it seems) up the outside of any of the `shorter' (70 floors) elongated barrel shaped building that sit around the central 90 storey cyclindrical tower. After about ten stories I shut my eyes and let the people I was with walk me through the entranceway when we got to the top... and let me tell you, it was worse coming down.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Sukerkin here, and let me tell you, fellow acrophobes and vertiginists, you haven't been exposed to fear until you've climbed the outside of a seventy story building in a glass elevator. :xtrmshock

No, I'm not making this up. If you go to the Renaissance Center in Detroit, or any of those other glass curtain silo clusters that Portman became famous for (did he ever actually do anything but that??), you will have access to a glass elevator that crawls ever so slowly (or so it seems) up the outside of any of the `shorter' (70 floors) elongated barrel shaped building that sit around the central 90 storey cyclindrical tower. After about ten stories I shut my eyes and let the people I was with walk me through the entranceway when we got to the top... and let me tell you, it was worse coming down.

You see exile I thought that same experience was fun. I even got to go outside on the top of one of the Renaissance Center Towers and practice some martial arts a long, long, long time ago. (when I knew somebody)

Now here is the kicker I am not afraid to stand right at the edge of a cliff where a fall would be certain death nor climb a mountain where a fall is certain death but I personally hate to fly! Absolutely hate it! :idunno:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You see exile I thought that same experience was fun. I even got to go outside on the top of one of the Renaissance Center Towers and practice some martial arts a long, long, long time ago. (when I knew somebody)

Now here is the kicker I am not afraid to stand right at the edge of a cliff where a fall would be certain death nor climb a mountain where a fall is certain death but I personally hate to fly! Absolutely hate it! :idunno:

Yea Brian why is that you was so worried about flying home?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No thanks being able to see under my feet just does not seem right.

I'm with you, Terry...

Help, I'm getting dizzy and disoriented just picturing you doing that, Brian! I remember climbing up one of the towers in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last time we were there and then barely being able to look out over the city... unbelievably beautiful view, but my vertigo was so bad I could barely keep on my feet....

OK, now here we agree completely... I hate it too! It's not because of the height issue... it's because the physical sensations of being in flight, the kinds of motion you're subject to in a plane, are&#8212;for me&#8212;so unnerving and unpleasant.

Give me a high speed train and I'm happy. But planes.... :uhohh:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you, Terry...

Help, I'm getting dizzy and disoriented just picturing you doing that, Brian! I remember climbing up one of the towers in Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last time we were there and then barely being able to look out over the city... unbelievably beautiful view, but my vertigo was so bad I could barely keep on my feet....

OK, now here we agree completely... I hate it too! It's not because of the height issue... it's because the physical sensations of being in flight, the kinds of motion you're subject to in a plane, are—for me—so unnerving and unpleasant.

Give me a high speed train and I'm happy. But planes.... :uhohh:

Yes riding on a train is just great! The Europeans and the Japanese know how to do it right! Not to mention our friends to the north!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea Brian why is that you was so worried about flying home?

You know Terry I was certainly anxious which I get before any flight. (particularly when flying without the family) However let me tell you about that flight some time in private because you will be just absolutely stunned with the story!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes riding on a train is just great! The Europeans and the Japanese know how to do it right! Not to mention our friends to the north!

I lived in Germany for about half a year a few years back, and we travelled everywhere by train. The network is fast and far flung—you can get between A and B no matter by train no matter where A and B are. One thing I'd love to do is ride on one of those 200mph+ fast Japanese trains... I just can't imagine going that fast on the surface.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to find words to describe my reaction to the pictures. After "You're crazy if you" it all comes out as asterisks after going through the filter, except for the part where my keyboard melted and the American Atheists wanted me hanged for blasphemy. Kind of like "Change the Sacred Name of Arkansas" but more emphatic and lyrical.

It reminds me of the story of the new paratrooper home from training, the one that goes "Sir! No, sir! I'm too scared, sir!" Unfortunately that one (while hilarious) is totally outside MT's TOS. Contact me privately :)

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a YouTube video of the canyon skywalk
then one more with Jay Leno talking about it showing a clip from a news report... (funny)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgeUGpwhIa4&mode=related&search=

That being said... technology has vastly improved to allow such feats... so they're terribly safe. Eventually it'll get to the point of where they'll build an glass bridge over the canyon itself.

As one who goes down deep dark holes and also likewise does canyoneering and rock/ice climbing... heights/depths don't affect me. Not even scared of falling... but I do have an aversion to the sudden stop at the end... however quick and painless that would be.

But as far as the buildings goes... heck I'd rappel there too. :uhyeah:

But it is a way of conquering that particular fear. Like Brian's wife did... with the help of her little ones of course (irony). Getting over fears is important for anyone I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions