Girls, what's under your gi?

L

Lucy Rhombus

I knew that thread title would get some attention...

I'm looking for something comfortable to wear under my gi top. Right now I wear a sports bra, but every time I'm thrown my gi top opens, and I don't really like having the whole dojo checking out my goods.

I used to wear a white T-shirt, but not only was it hot, it would come untucked from my pants and bunch up around my waist. real comfy - not.

So, women martial artists -- can you suggest something confortable with good coverage to wear under the gi?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I always have a sports bra and a sleeveless shirt (not too loose so there's extra fabric or too tight) on under my Gi jacket. The shirt is usually long enough so it stays tucked but if it doesn't, I don't really feel it with my jacket, belt, and hakama against me. For me, it's both comfortable and modest. I guess just look around in the sports stores or malls (or maybe something way in the back of your closet) for something you might like.

Robyn :asian:

OP
K

kkbb

I didn't know what to expect when I entered here, but you girls are talking about "unmentionables.":eek:

"exit stage left.."

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear a sports bra and an extremely lightweight sleeveless vneck shirt from Nike that's made out of a fabric that's supposed to keep moisture away from your skin. very comfortable, and keeps ya covered. Also, there are dance stores that sell dance tanks, which fit and support like sports bras, but come all the way down to the waist like a tank top. those work well too.

I've also seen people put little bits of velcro at the neck of their gi to help it stay put. I've never tried it, but it seemed to work for them

-N-

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I usually wear a regular full support bra under my gi with a t shirt or tank top, making sure the neckline is not too low.

I will wear just a sports bra if the neckline is higher, usually in the summer when its really warm.

I find a regular bra gives me more support than an athletic bra. LOL but that of course could be because I usually only buy the $15 sports bra so it may not be lifting and separating. ;)

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Thanks for the advice! I especially like the idea of a dance tank and/or velcro.

I did go out today to the local outlet mall, which for some reason has three underwear stores. I got a couple of fitted white ribbed tanks that seem long enough that they won't come untucked. If the tanks I bought today don't work out, I'll try to find a dance tank.

But damn, it's hot enough already in the dojo without adding an extra layer! Maybe velcro is the way to go...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My GF usually does the sports bra thing, but has on occation also worn a body suit (the spandex type). Given the heat of summer, the '1 piece swimsuit' type might also work, and allow for some 'coolness'.

:asian:

OP
L

Lucy Rhombus

Ooh, the spandex bodysuit is another good idea. But I just bought several pairs of what I hope will be non-wedgifying karate undies, and I hate for them to go to waste! (Here's a tip: don't wear a thong to class. That's a guarantee that you're going to have to do spinning side kicks.)

And why did I limit this topic to girls? I'm sure guys are concerned with what goes on under their gis, right? Mr. Rhombus wears striped boxers, which cracks me up because I can sometimes see the stripes through the white gi. Another guy I know wears some sort of special white sports shorts with extra support (say that ten times fast).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thongs..... there was a Jeff Foxworthy bit about why guys dont wear em fishing....cast n tug, cast n tug. I figure, its probably the same when doing kicks. :D

:rofl:

In the past, (besides standard FOTL briefs) I've worn spandex pants, bicycle shorts, and a wrestling setup. (Forget what its called). I normally wear a school tee under my gi in the winter, and just the tee in the summer.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Thongs..... there was a Jeff Foxworthy bit about why guys dont wear em fishing....cast n tug, cast n tug. I figure, its probably the same when doing kicks. :D

:rofl:

In the past, (besides standard FOTL briefs) I've worn spandex pants, bicycle shorts, and a wrestling setup. (Forget what its called). I normally wear a school tee under my gi in the winter, and just the tee in the summer.

singlet

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well here's my 2 cents, my teenage daughter likes to wear those wife beater (although she calls them husband beater) ribbed tank top t-shirts over her sports bra during MA training. I guess she thinks they're not as restrictive as full t-shirts.

What the F am I doing chiming in about girl stuff? Sorry, I'm out... :eek:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear a sports bra. I found that t's and tanks are too hot. I do TKD, so my uniforms (v-neck ones) doesn't open up, either.

The thing about thongs .... umm ya don't need to wear a thong to get a major wedgy during spinning jump kicks :rofl: I wear bikini style undies, and I still get wedgies LOL.

OP
J

Jill666

The wife beaters are the way to go (huband beaters-heh). I generally wear tanks under the gi- they're cooler than tee shirts. Racerback bras are the only alternative to sports bras, so you're not pulling the straps up during your bo form.

As for thongs- done that, doesn't work :erg: I had to go out to buy the old-fashioned panties. They don't go where they shouldn't during your kicking drills.

I know a few of the guys favor the fitted boxers (think Michael Jordan Haynes commercial) or the old-fashioned BVD's. I imagine the jock-and-cup rig poses a few logistical concerns also.

As for velcro or anything else- I seriously wouldn't bother. If you're grappling, or doing a lapel grab defense, velcro ain't gonna cut it.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
I imagine the jock-and-cup rig poses a few logistical concerns also.

I see that this thread may not be for me but for me personally I found that wearing tight biking short works the best for holding in cup problems. :asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lucy Rhombus
And why did I limit this topic to girls? I'm sure guys are concerned with what goes on under their gis, right?

They who? guys or girls?

I make an effort not to look when I'm teaching the girls. Most of them seem to wear some half tank top under their gi. Maybe it is a sports bra. I've never asked, but some of them have their gi tops half open during class and some constantly pull their gi down ala The Picard Maneuver to keep their tops closed.

Since I frequently have all girls in my Sat class, I spend a lot of time focusing my eyese on countergrabbing wrists, blocking forearms and such when working on techniques with them.

One of them does wear a very thin Tshirt however. I tried wearing a Tshirt under my gi 2-3 times but could never stand it. It was Way too hot. A friend of mine used to wear a colored Tshirt under his gi to match his belt color. That was pretty cool I thought, but I melted when I tried it.

I personally will look into those moisture-drawing shirts for outerwear after I lose some weight. It gets Hot down here during the summer. A friend of mine wore something that looked like Scuba gear once. It was a tight, sort of acrylic looking shirt. It might have been one of those. It looked very good on his chiseled physique. I am not going to attempt it myself at the moment. It was before I learned about the shirts that draw moisture into them. He wore it going out dancing, so maybe that was it.

Anyway, yes. I used to avert my gaze a lot during class but this can be a problem of its own and since some of the girls just don't care, I figure they must be wearing some type of half shirt or whatever. No telling. I was going to ask but I thought I'd chime in on this thread. Good luck finding something that works well.
:idunno:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I see that this thread may not be for me but for me personally I found that wearing tight biking short works the best for holding in cup problems. :asian:

I agree Brother. The Bikinis work best in relations to wearing a cup :D

Even though I do prefer the Jockie equivalent to the fitted boxer briefs for every day use. ;) :eek: :rofl:

OP
A

andurilking2

:D
she usually wears the stretch stuff that they make like stretch and maternity pants out of but tight in the form of a sleevless shirt (hope it helps i wouldn't know from experience i personally go shirtless altogether :D) always an option :) but not really the modesty you were looking for i guess

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
I agree Brother. The Bikinis work best in relations to wearing a cup :D

Even though I do prefer the Jockie equivalent to the fitted boxer briefs for every day use. ;) :eek: :rofl:

Rich....thank you for the lovely mental picture..... **shudder**

:D

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... a T-Shirt or Danskin type top under the Gi. NO --- not what I would prefer, but it sure saves on "issues" re: sexual harassment or inappropriate attire. Half-shirts are usually ok also, but you need a sports top under it.

Latest Discussions