Gin foon mark and officer Derek Chauvin

Jook Sing

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a photo of officer Derek Chauvin receiving martial arts training from master Gin Foon mark in 1995. No doubt this is where officer Chauvin learned the dangerous technique that he used in the murder of George Floyd.

Attachments

• KIMG1444.JPG
    KIMG1444.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 764

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a photo of officer Derek Chauvin receiving martial arts training from master Gin Foon mark in 1995. No doubt this is where officer Chauvin learned the dangerous technique that he used in the murder of George Floyd.
No doubt? Nonsense.

What he did is/was common among police training. I believe it is being or has been phased out in many places.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No doubt? Nonsense.

What he did is/was common among police training. I believe it is being or has been phased out in many places.

That kid is former officer Cauvin? Where did that picture come from???

BTW I'm not an LEO or Security professional, but IMO too much attention is being paid to Chauvin pinning George Floyd's neck with his knee. Not a great idea, but I can see how, when subduing somebody, you might momentarily pin them down with your knee until you can cuff them. Heck when I was growing up, my big brothers and his friends did far worse to me...

What they didn't do was crush my neck for 8 and-a-half minutes while I was begging for air and watch me go limp and die. That is just horrifyingly wrong. :cool:

Any LEOs on here care to share some thoughts?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

As a suggestion so people on the site can get to know you a bit better, drop into our Meet & Greet section. Good way to break the ice.
Meet & Greet

New to MartialTalk? Stop in here and introduce yourself. Long time member? Pop in and say hello and meet the new members.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Given that I (and at least Flying Crane) see no basis to the martial arts connection advanced in the first post, I submit that this thread has no useful purpose and should be deleted.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No doubt? Nonsense.

I would say it is common but not specifically common in police training. What is your evidence of such a statement?
It is wrong of you to put things like this out there to plant seeds and expect people to run with them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First: That is photoshopped.
Second: The person in the photo is young.
Third: That is photoshopped.
Fourth: That is photoshopped.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sure! I'm a cop...... not that that makes my opinion on a situation I wasn't involved in, between people I don't know, in a state I don't go to any more or less valid than anyone else who knows basically NOTHING about the situation other than what the media has selectively fed us through the idiot box.

First - I have never worked for or with ANY agency where it is remotely acceptable to kneel on a suspects neck especially for that length of time. No, that is not part of police tactics or training. Pin a shoulder down, with a knee? Absolutely! Knee to the neck or head? Only if it is a deadly force situation.

Second - preliminary autopsy ruled out asphyxiation which makes sense for two reasons (1) George was saying "I can't breath, while officers were not even touching him, watch the REST of the video, ya know the part the media did NOT air (2) having been choked out, i can tell you - if you really can't breath..... you can not say "I can't breath" (kinda why we TAP). This does not mean he was getting BLOOD to his brain. Air choke vs blood choke, I'm assuming most on this site know the difference but he was NOT being air choked, pressure was to the side of his neck.

Third - George chose to be on the ground. In the (unaired) video he specifically said he would rather be on the ground than in the car. Quite frankly, I would not have allowed him to make that decision. I would have PUT him in that car, even if he had to go in laterally.

Fourth - "murdered"? Well that will depend ENTIRELY on whether or not Derek's actions are determined to be the CAUSE OF DEATH. To assume they are is short sighted and the mark of a novice investigator. Many other factors involved and IF (important word) Derek's actions are determined to NOT be the cause of death, there is NO murder, there is NO manslaughter, there is a policy violation AND a misdemeanor battery.

Fifth - if i was gonna choose a "victim" to get emotionally invested in, I'd pick a better one that George (home invader who points guns at pregnant women). Likewise, if i was gonna pick a cop to defend, I'd pick a better one than Derek. Neither seem to be shining examples of great folks.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pretty good. do derik chauvin next!

good cops who turn a blind eye to the illegal behavior of bad cops are also bad cops.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "proper" police training should be to control the arm/arms and not to control the head. In the worse case, you may break your opponent's arm, but you will never kill him.

Chang-police-demo.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty good. do derik chauvin next!

good cops who turn a blind eye to the illegal behavior of bad cops are also bad cops.
His points are all valid, no matter how unsavory they are in the public eye right now.
FWIW, I have heard rumors from good sources that they are trying to go public with the COD without causing another surge of public outcry.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The police of that city put out a news release stating, "this technique is a standard technique taught to many police officers. It was developed to immobilize someone to keep them from hurting them self." Since then, it has come out from the ME, Floyd was over dosing on fentanyl....whose victims tend to die of suffocation, like Michael Jackson did. I know there are some that don't want to hear this, but I suggest waiting until the investigation is thru and all the videos come out.

Whether the officer did the technique correctly or not, is another issue.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The police of that city put out a news release stating, "this technique is a standard technique taught to many police officers. It was developed to immobilize someone to keep them from hurting them self." Since then, it has come out from the ME, Floyd was over dosing on fentanyl....whose victims tend to die of suffocation, like Michael Jackson did. I know there are some that don't want to hear this, but I suggest waiting until the investigation is thru and all the videos come out.

Whether the officer did the technique correctly or not, is another issue.
Regardless, criminal or not, high or not - George Floyd should have been brought in front of a judge, in a court of law, like they do with all the mass shooters. They get to go in front of a judge to be tried and sentenced. They don't get murdered in the streets before due process.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Regardless, criminal or not, high or not - George Floyd should have been brought in front of a judge, in a court of law, like they do with all the mass shooters. They get to go in front of a judge to be tried and sentenced. They don't get murdered in the streets before due process.
Only those who do not honor their oath to the Constitution would disagree with my post. You may be a cop, in which case, you are an oath breaker. And that is a shameful thing to be. I swore an oath when I enlisted in the 70s. I didn't know what I was even doing back then, but I have full understanding of what it is to honor the only document that protects Americans from tyranny. If you do not honor your oath, you simply have no honor in your heart. You stand for tyranny.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That kid is former officer Cauvin? Where did that picture come from???

BTW I'm not an LEO or Security professional, but IMO too much attention is being paid to Chauvin pinning George Floyd's neck with his knee. Not a great idea, but I can see how, when subduing somebody, you might momentarily pin them down with your knee until you can cuff them. Heck when I was growing up, my big brothers and his friends did far worse to me...

What they didn't do was crush my neck for 8 and-a-half minutes while I was begging for air and watch me go limp and die. That is just horrifyingly wrong. :cool:

It's complicated. You can positionaly asphixiate somone just via top pressure. People can die just from being on drugs and being in a sudden fight with stress and exertion.

But you shouldn't keep pressure on a guy who is handcuffed especially. Because you don't have to.

And you shouldn't do it via the neck. Unless you have a really good reason.

Otherwise there is a lot of constrictor style submissions that go nowhere near the neck. And can be done unintentionally.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "proper" police training should be to control the arm/arms and not to control the head. In the worse case, you may break your opponent's arm, but you will never kill him.

Chang-police-demo.jpg

Or even hold him down.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Given that I (and at least Flying Crane) see no basis to the martial arts connection advanced in the first post, I submit that this thread has no useful purpose and should be deleted.

It is useful to know if you are the sort of guy who might go clamping dudes and holding them for the cops.

Which can be anyone.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu people don't know how to fight. That's all I'm going to say lol

Edit: In all seriousness. I haven't heard of any martial arts schools that teach stuff like that.

Latest Discussions