Gift ideas

Summer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am dating this guy who is really into martial arts. His birthday is in 2 weeks. I want to give him something unique for his birthday. He does kickboxing, muay thai and karate. What was the best martial arts gift you have received or what would you love to receive as a gift? Thank you so much for your help!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi, Summer,

As for Karate, it would help if we knew what kind of Karate he trains. Any idea?
Does he do more Karate, kickboxing or Muay Thai? Does he do them all at the same place?

You could always give him a gift certificate to pay tuition where he trains.
Drop Bear's idea of the shorts is a good one.
Books are good. Again, we could list some if we knew more about his training.
A nice, new gi (uniform) is always a safe bet. But it would have to be a quality one.

Or you could do a grab bag of small stuff - hand wraps, bag gloves, books, gift certificate for a massage etc.

OP
S

Summer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm I didn't even know there are different types of Karate... Sorry I really have no clue about Martial Arts. I do know he was trained by Ernest Miller if that will help with what kind of Karate he does.

He went to Thailand to train Muay Thai but I'm not sure if he still does it often now. He trains Karate with his Sensei pretty much every Saturday at the park and kickboxing every Sunday at a local kickboxing studio. If I really can't come up with better ideas I will just get him a gift certificate from that studio.

I like the ideas of the shorts and gi but I don't know what sizes he wears. Since this is a surprise I don't want to ask him.

Thanks again for your great help!

Hi, Summer,

As for Karate, it would help if we knew what kind of Karate he trains. Any idea?
Does he do more Karate, kickboxing or Muay Thai? Does he do them all at the same place?

You could always give him a gift certificate to pay tuition where he trains.
Drop Bear's idea of the shorts is a good one.
Books are good. Again, we could list some if we knew more about his training.
A nice, new gi (uniform) is always a safe bet. But it would have to be a quality one.

Or you could do a grab bag of small stuff - hand wraps, bag gloves, books, gift certificate for a massage etc.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does he train weapons? I think I stand certain when I say all guys like weapons.

A gi is a good idea, his instructor may know what size uniform he wears

OP
S

Summer

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks donald1. I'm not sure if he trains weapons... Can you please recommend a good brand for gi?

Does he train weapons? I think I stand certain when I say all guys like weapons.

A gi is a good idea, his instructor may know what size uniform he wears

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to check with his instructor. Some schools have very specific requirements for uniforms.

If the instructor doesn't care, then personally I'm fond of Moo Sool Sa. They make the uniforms to order, are excellent quality and very reasonable. They ship from Korea after they make the uniform, so there's no chance in the world that you're going to get it by Christmas.
You can get excellent off-the-shelf uniforms from places like Century Martial Arts. And with some extra on shipping, you might be able to get it in time.
Training gear is also good. A heavy bag like the Wavemaster, BOB (my preference) or a VS Bob, a speed bag, a makiwara or sparring gear could also be a good option.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seconding the idea of a BOB, wavemaster, or a speed bag, assuming he has space for them. They're really useful for practicing when he's by himself, and also a really fun way to pass time! Depending on how much you want to spend, a speed bag could be $40-60, wavemasters will be $100-200, while BOB is at least $250.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks donald1. I'm not sure if he trains weapons... Can you please recommend a good brand for gi?
Personally ive used macho(brand) gi for 6 years now. Are there better brands? Probably but ive never needed to switch brands

Latest Discussions