Getting shorter and how to avoid it.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
standing squats on the ball.

But these are relatively advanced core exercises.. .
Make that extreme advanced core exercise. :)

Alphacat: start with sidebridges (first on the knees, then on the feet), plank (try to increase time) and bridge. They will get you stared if you've never done a core work out before.
This is good for beginners, from a clinical point of view.

You'll need proprioception (through basic exercices) before you'll be able to do the harder stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's a pain in the butt to have to alter all your pants....:wink2:

You're supposed to take them off before altering them, I think.

Besides, I already had to do that for my weight gain and then rapid weight loss.
icon10.gif

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Due to the interest of core exercise on this thread, I have began posting pictures of myself doing my swissball core workout on my profile. If you would like, take a look and tell me what you think.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Due to the interest of core exercise on this thread, I have began posting pictures of myself doing my swissball core workout on my profile. If you would like, take a look and tell me what you think.

Great pics!
Thanks.

You seem in a good shape, keep it up :)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great pics!
Thanks.

You seem in a good shape, keep it up :)

Haha, I didn't post the pics for my vanity, but thank you for the compliment. I work out regularly, but mostly because I REALLY like to eat and drink! haha

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After struggling with PT and my chiro doc to rehab persistent back pain, my chiro recommended wearing a weight vest and gave me some pointers for a routine. A weight vest is not the same as a swiss ball and offers its own limitations/drawbacks (one of them is price!) but for me, the vest has been fabulous for rehabbing my back and strengthening my core.

I hope to start doing some swiss ball exercises too. Unlike many other workout routines, this is something I can do when I get home from the office (late at night) and not disturb my neighbors below me. :)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After struggling with PT and my chiro doc to rehab persistent back pain, my chiro recommended wearing a weight vest and gave me some pointers for a routine. A weight vest is not the same as a swiss ball and offers its own limitations/drawbacks (one of them is price!) but for me, the vest has been fabulous for rehabbing my back and strengthening my core.

I hope to start doing some swiss ball exercises too. Unlike many other workout routines, this is something I can do when I get home from the office (late at night) and not disturb my neighbors below me. :)

To be honest I do not have much experience with the weighted vests, but I'm glad you have found some relief from your back pain with it. Depending on the cause, there are many swiss ball exercises that would be a great addition to your existing routine. Also most exercise equipment can still be used in conjunction with the swissball! Although it makes the exercises more advanced/challenging. I mainly use medicine balls and kettle bells with my swissball workout.. .

There are so many low tech exercise equipment out there, and I only have so much room in the clinic to house them. We only have a treadmill, therabands, swissballs, medicine balls, rocker/wobble boards, and kettlebells. All of these exercise equipments, the patients can purchase themselves at walmart, dicks, etc.. . to do their exercise at home without spending alot of $$$. The swissball seems to be the most popular in our office, probably due to the versatility of it. There are endless possibilities and endless difficulty ratings of the exercises, so you never get bored and you are constantly challenged! These factors are, IMHO, very important in maintaining an active home exercise program.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Haha, I didn't post the pics for my vanity, but thank you for the compliment. I work out regularly, but mostly because I REALLY like to eat and drink! haha

Yeah I know what you're talking about.
Even when I jog I think about the meal that waits for me at home :)