Getting back after broken ankle

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are physicians here in the US that are osteopathic doctors and not medical doctors. They're allowed to treat just as a medical doctor, within their respective scope of practice.

Medical Doctor = MD
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine = DO

Both can diagnose, treat, prescribe, etc. DOs are in the minority, but they're around. And they often work side by side with MDs, quite often in the same practice.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a lot of training to be an osteopath, it's a university degree course for a start. 4 years full time training. Many osteopaths here are also doctors of general medicine.

Still, hopefully none of this has put the OP of looking for appropriate advice from medical experts including osteopaths and physiotherapists, one should never rely on the internet for exact advice on your condition.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've been practicing Taekwondo for about 6 months when I broke my ankle in Febrary. I recently got my boot off and I am anxious to get back to training but I am concerned about re-injury. Any good tips for getting back in?

Been there, done that a couple times.

#1. Do exactly as your doctor recommends, and hopefully that doctor is an osteopath.
#2. Ankle brace for a while

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes but the exercises are in the public domain, you don't have to pay a Pt to tell you to waggle it about to increase blood flow and build up the strength in the surrounding tissue
The exercises may be available in the public domain, but sometimes the key is knowing which ones will help, and which will hurt. There's a reason Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers are licensed specialties.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing Taekwondo for about 6 months when I broke my ankle in Febrary. I recently got my boot off and I am anxious to get back to training but I am concerned about re-injury. Any good tips for getting back in?

I am not a doctor and my advice is just a suggestion based on having my own very severe ankle injuries and other injuries from service in the military that resulted in surgery and will always be a life long struggle for me. However much weight your ankle is used to carrying pre-injury I suggest you lose some weight, I suggest that this is done with diet and exercise like swimming, take all of your Tae Kwon Do basics and work them from seated and prone positions in conjunction with yoga, I found that dit da jow helps but if you can get a connection to cimande village in Indonesia request their bone healing oil "balar" ... my last bit of advice is to change your fighting method to work with not against your injury, that means if you use stance transitions that use a lot of grinding and or bounce/impact on the injured ankle change it. I now use stances that sort of place my foot where it would have ended up if I had used a pivot and fire my power from my waist the back where as before I used a lot of subtle moves that would pivot me into my desired motion. I also increased my ability to fight from kneeling, prone and seated positions because I felt a loss of about 40% of my stability and feared being taken down, most who have fought me remark that I still feel like a stable mountain when they try to take me down but I know better, I can feel the weakness like Piranha eating away at my base... also carry a cane and learn how to use it, even if you don't need it, after you train your ankle will likely swell up and make walking difficult.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The exercises may be available in the public domain, but sometimes the key is knowing which ones will help, and which will hurt. There's a reason Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers are licensed specialties.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This. There's a reason why we are required to have a college specific college degree and intern for an absurd amount of hours before were even allowed to sit for the national board exam which has a pretty low passing rate the first time (or two) it's taken.

It's like strength and conditioning coaches (good ones, anyway) - all the exercises are in the public domain; an expert will tailor a program to the individual's needs.

OP
M

mudogirl44

White Belt
Reaction score
Bones should heal stronger than before they are broken, but sometimes this isn't always true. I'd recommend plenty of walking for you. Just walk around like you normally would. I assume your foot has been resting in a boot for some time and your leg muscles have probably gotten weaker. Do ankle rotations. Practice bending your toes and moving your foot around. That's all you really can do with a broken ankle. Walk around. Then jog. Then run. Then practice kicking again once you're ready.

Doing lots of walking and have even gotten to the point where i can get up on my toes to work my calf muscle.

OP
M

mudogirl44

White Belt
Reaction score
It does depend a little on age. If you're in your 30's or younger, the healing will be fast and the knitted area of the bone will likely be as strong as (perhaps stronger than) the rest. Later in life, I'm not sure if the healing of the bone is as complete, but the process is certainly slower, and there will be more rehabilitation time.

I'll compare my time around my knee surgery (I was about 30) and my broken leg (around 40). After my knee surgery, I needed a very short period of therapy to rebuild the support muscles, as I was only off the let for a short period of time (a couple of days) and range of motion was only limited for a couple of weeks. Contrast that with my broken leg (near the ankle, accompanied by a high ankle sprain, so similar results to a broken ankle). I was only off the foot for a couple of weeks (minor break), and there was less restriction of motion (never had to have a cast), but it took me several weeks to rebuild the support. The biggest risk of injury is likely not a re-injury (breaking the bone), rather a risk of damaging the support tissues before they are strong enough to do their job fully.

So, take it easy, even when the ankle feels fine. Focus on rebuilding the support muscles. Balancing exercises are good for this, as I recall. Just assume you'll be a little worse balancing on that leg, and that it will be easier to roll the ankle for a bit. Once you've rebuilt the support tissues, the leg will likely be near-new unless you are older. My recommendation is to work with a physical therapist, if only to get specific advice as to what exercises will help and what might create a risk of injury.

My doctor seemed pretty happy with my progress. I was initially given 12 weeks for the healing process but I was out of the boot by 8. I just don't want to do too much too soon but I have been able to balance and stand on the right leg and get up on my toes. I've been doing a little more every day and I can see improvement.

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doing lots of walking and have even gotten to the point where i can get up on my toes to work my calf muscle.

Excellent.

But don't be too hastey. Take it slow. Remember where the injury is. Assume it's still an injury and be careful not to put too much pressure on it too soon into your recovery. But that's good. I'm glad walking helps. For some reason, I already knew it would (lol). Just keep walking, like I said. When you're ready, start jogging slowly. Then when you're ready, speed up. After you can run again, start kicking. Your kicks will be stronger now, once you are fully healed. :)

Last edited:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Broken ankle (fibula) was my injury. Four screws and a plate. One screw goes all the way through the ankle. Provided everything's healed ok, there's nothing to worry about. My doctor said "maybe don't do jump squats your first day, but some people can." I was not one of those guys. My ankle mobility is lessened, but I can do most of the things I used to MA-wise. Just listen to your body. Mine still tweaks out every once in a while. Don't give up either. You will get through it. Some days might be frustrating, but trust me it will get better over time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This. There's a reason why we are required to have a college specific college degree and intern for an absurd amount of hours before were even allowed to sit for the national board exam which has a pretty low passing rate the first time (or two) it's taken.

It's like strength and conditioning coaches (good ones, anyway) - all the exercises are in the public domain; an expert will tailor a program to the individual's needs.
I'm not disputing that there are complicated injuries and conditions that need expert help, rather that these are few and far between and a,simple case of self help is all that is needed in the vast majority of cases. In fact joining a yoga or pillarties class is the answer to most long term in balance or posture problems. Injuries general heal on their own, speeding up the process is about increasing blood flow by light movement, weak tissues requires exercise to strengthen it. If its a problem stick a hot water bottle on the injured muscle to relax it and increase blood flow.
but we live in a cult of experts, where people don't trust themselves to make a decision without paying an expert to tell them what to do

I have a friend with acute knee pain, she paid a good sum for a Pt to assess her, he told her to lose weight, exercises the knees to strengthen it and do,stretching to take the stress off. I could have told her that for nothing, in fact I did. But she wanted an expert. She did nothing with the info as she is lazy, so it was a double wast of money

paying expert fitness coaches is even worse, top level athletes need a fitness coach so they peak at the right moment, the rest of us need a basic understanding of biology and the,ability to motivate ourselves to exercise.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rest of us need a basic understanding of biology and the,ability to motivate ourselves to exercise.

Then you need to do a lot of reading up because you think you have all the same muscles as I do! :D:D:D:D

Do you consider yourself a barrack room expert then? So much bad advice in one post.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you need to do a lot of reading up because you think you have all the same muscles as I do! :D:D:D:D

Do you consider yourself a barrack room expert then? So much bad advice in one post.
your army obsesed, I'm not a barrack room anything. Apart from a few fairly obvious gender differences males and females have much the same muscles, the muscles have differences in their size and make up of fibre's, but the muscles are by and large the same and in the same place. Suffer the same injuries and repair themselves in the same way.

in not an expert,that's my point, you don't need to be, for the vast majority of muscle development and repair issues. You just need to a quaint yourself with how your body works. I'm am commonly amazed at how little the average person knows about their own biology
could you be more specific about what your taking issue with. You just seem to be disagreeing on principal for no particular reason

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your army obsesed, I'm not a barrack room anything

Don't be so silly, it's a common everyday expression.. I just amended it slightly, don't tell me you've never heard anyone use the expression 'barrack room lawyer'? barrack-room lawyer

My objection to your posts is that you are giving your opinion not sound advice.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't be so silly, it's a common everyday expression.. I just amended it slightly, don't tell me you've never heard anyone use the expression 'barrack room lawyer'? barrack-room lawyer

My objection to your posts is that you are giving your opinion not sound advice.
my advice is learn how your own body works, and then in regards to muscle development and repair you can make an informed decision on if you need to consult an expert. Chances are you don't. Id give much the same advice to someone who owned a car

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my advice is learn how your own body works, and then in regards to muscle development and repair you can make an informed decision on if you need to consult an expert. Chances are you don't. Id give much the same advice to someone who owned a car

In the UK one can see a health professional for free so I'd always say consult a health professional, it makes sense. Funnily enough most martial artists do have a good idea of how their bodies work and it seems many know more than you on here. In countries where you have to pay upfront for your healthcare it makes sense perhaps that people ask around first before committing hard earned cash for a medic.
Cars aren't bodies. Your 'advice' is still just an opinion.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the UK one can see a health professional for free so I'd always say consult a health professional, it makes sense. Funnily enough most martial artists do have a good idea of how their bodies work and it seems many know more than you on here. In countries where you have to pay upfront for your healthcare it makes sense perhaps that people ask around first before committing hard earned cash for a medic.
Cars aren't bodies. Your 'advice' is still just an opinion.
well an experts advice, is just an opinion, as is anyone's. But I've given some direct information on how to heal injuries. Which you have failed to actually refute as incorrect.

yes a I can see a doctor for free, it takes upto two weeks to get an appointment, who may, but probably won't refers me to an Pt which takes three or four months to come through and then he tells me tp do what I would have,done in the first place. Mean while I've cured my ailment and iam getting on with my life, whilst your still limping around. Your body heals its self. That makes it easier than fixing a car, you just have to know how to help it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well an experts advice, is just an opinion, as is anyone's. But I've given some direct information on how to heal injuries. Which you have failed to actually refute as incorrect.

yes a I can see a doctor for free, it takes upto two weeks to get an appointment, who may, but probably won't refers me to an Pt which takes three or four months to come through and then he tells me tp do what I would have,done in the first place. Mean while I've cured my ailment and iam getting on with my life, whilst your still limping around. Your body heals its self. That makes it easier than fixing a car, you just have to know how to help it

I suppose seven years and more of training to be a doctor is just a waste of time then. :eek:
It's nice to know that the body heals itself, I shall tell my friends that who have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome that. It start with soft tissue damage and can end up killing you, it's extremely painful also but not to worry the body heals itself........

Ehlers–Danlos syndrome - Wikipedia

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose seven years and more of training to be a doctor is just a waste of time then. :eek:
It's nice to know that the body heals itself, I shall tell my friends that who have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome that. It start with soft tissue damage and can end up killing you, it's extremely painful also but not to worry the body heals itself........

Ehlers–Danlos syndrome - Wikipedia
your just building a strawman argument, I've noticed you have a habit of doing that, we are talking specifically about sports injuries and I have said that there are conditions and injuries' that require experts. your friends ailment is whatt is called a diseases'. Ii have said nothing about diseases, how do you think that has any bearing on a pulled muscle or what ever

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your just building a strawman argument, I've noticed you have a habit of doing that, we are talking specifically about sports injuries and I have said that there are conditions and injuries' that require experts. your friends ailment is whatt is called a diseases'. Ii have said nothing about diseases, how do you think that has any bearing on a pulled muscle or what ever

Oh my, as George would say. For one thing my friends ( both were martial artists, one was an MMA fighter) don't have a disease, it's a condition hence it's called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome not disease. It's quite pertinent to the conversation because of what it affects and it doesn't heal itself. A surprisingly lot of people suffer various degrees of this condition which affects ligaments, muscles and joints, if you care to look back on threads here you will see people asking about their hypermobility issues in martial arts and the injuries that can ensue.

Latest Discussions