Get rid of "hate crimes" laws?

Get rid of "hate crimes" laws?

• Yes, due to it being a waste of time and resources.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Yes, due to it not being enforced properly.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say "yes," since it seems that "hate crime" prosecution isn't being carried out as it should be. After all, isn't it supposed to make crimes infused with racist elements, more serious?

Just as an example of this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...mmeled_because_hes_white__cops_not_sure_.html

"People started saying stupid little comments - cracker this, white boy this, f----t this," Fordell said. "I told them the only reason they were saying this is there was four of them and one of me.""I'm a small, little white kid with long hair," he added. "They got guys three times my size threatening me."

As the train continued into the Bronx, the confrontation became physical, he said.The case is being investigated by detectives, but has not been assigned to the NYPD hate crimes task force because cops are unsure if the suspects were motivated by bias, sources said.

The way I see it, felony assault and robbery is still felony assault and robbery, and if they prosecute (and convict) those responsible for the attack, they're going to get significant incarceration time.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, it usually isn't enforced as a seperate law of it's own. Most of the time the prosecutor will charge on the crime itself, assault for example, but not the other.

I think that it should be used as a sentence enhancement. If the motivation of the crime was "hate" because of the group then it should bump up the punishments for that crime. We keep adding more and more laws to protect things and don't enforce the ones we do.

It should not be tolerated in any way no matter who perpetrates it, but again do we need a special law for it?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, my friend. You have it all backwards. Everybody knows there are no black on white hate crimes!

</sarcasm>

I ma not sure about the intend of hate crime laws anymore. Seems like so many well intended ones that have gone astray...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, my friend. You have it all backwards. Everybody knows there are no black on white hate crimes!

</sarcasm>

I ma not sure about the intend of hate crime laws anymore. Seems like so many well intended ones that have gone astray...

That is one of the many arguments I have seen in regards to this. White offender+Minority victim+racial/ethnic slur=hate crime. Minority offender+White victim+racial/ethnic slur-no hate crime.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, it usually isn't enforced as a seperate law of it's own. Most of the time the prosecutor will charge on the crime itself, assault for example, but not the other.

I think that it should be used as a sentence enhancement. If the motivation of the crime was "hate" because of the group then it should bump up the punishments for that crime. We keep adding more and more laws to protect things and don't enforce the ones we do.

It should not be tolerated in any way no matter who perpetrates it, but again do we need a special law for it?
Most of them here in Virginia are sentence enhancers; generally "if <offense> is committed based on the race, religion, etc, of the victim, they are guilty of a felony (instead of a misdemeanor)" (For example, see HEREhttp://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+18.2-57, at clause B)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think crime is crime; so, there are already laws against it.:) I don't think there should be a rule stating you have to like the people you are victimizing; it all just seems so counter-intuitive.
Sean

Latest Discussions