Get back up from the ground

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you think about this "get back up from the ground" technique? Do you think it's worth for your training time?

Your thought?

Jackie-flip-up.gif

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not for fighting..,.for gymnastics sure but never going to work outside of a movie setting (which that clip is from)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just kick up in front of me until I have space, and then do a technical standup. It's the safest "Stand up" that I've learned so far.
That's a good way to get back up by using your hand.

When I was young, I could get back up without using my hand. Not sure I can still do that or not. :arghh:

bounce-back-up.gif

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good way to get back up by using your hand.

When I was young, I could get back up without using my hand. Not sure I can still do that or not. :arghh:

bounce-back-up.gif
I can too, but having the one hand post allows you to keep the other hand up, and strengthens that hand in case it needs to actually defend against anything.

When I'm just getting up normally in practice, half the time I won't use my hand. But if a sparring match is continuing after a throw, I make sure to do this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can gramby roll to standing if you wanted to be flash.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

bounce-back-up.gif

One issue I have with this example is that the guy getting up does so with his back to his opponent, when his opponent is close enough to attack again as he gets up. The guard is down until after getting to one foot and hop-spinning to face the opponent. It works here, because the other guy is literally just waiting for him to get up.

The important bits of the technical stand up are facing your opponent, keeping feet and an arm between you and your opponent, making sure you have space and time to get up, and using a stable structure so that you are on balance and in a strong stance all the way up. The above example breaks all the rules... and still would break all the rules even if he used his hand.

Latest Discussions