German Longsword, Messer, Dagger and Spear clip

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice stuff, Mark. My only criticism is to the video quality (too dark by far) and the lack of sound :D.

I have a question that I hope you might be able to answer. With the single-hand sword the players had their off-hand tucked behind their back, akin to modern day fencers. Is that just for balance and to keep it out of harms way?

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that just for balance and to keep it out of harms way?

To keep it out of harm's way. Leckuchner says that if you want to grapple, keep your off hand across your chest. You can also put your off hand against your hip in a fist.

I prefer to keep mine befind my back or on the hip, because (and I'm just guessing here, I'm really new to messer) a tip cut that might miss your chest could still slice the hand or especially elbow if you keep it in front. Besides, I usually have enough time to put my hand where I need it.

But if Leckuchner says it's ok, then it must be ok. Once I get more time in with messer I'll try both and see if it actually does pose a greater risk holding it in front that's actually worth worrying about.

I really don't know enough about messer fighting to give more than my first impressions.

Best regards,

-Mark

hafoc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Leckuchner says that if you want to grapple, keep your off hand across your chest. You

Yes. Codex Wallerstein, Meyer, and Huntzfeld also say the same thing. Meyer even pictures how they did it in the dusach section.

Latest Discussions