Geometry

OP
C

chufeng

Well, I guess that is what distinguishes a martial way (Do) from a martial art (jutsu)...

Every founder of the classical systems emphasize that combat application is the lowest level of understanding. The mental processes, the discipline, and the spiritual/philosophical development is much more important AND more applicable in one's day to day encounters with people.

If you train in a "combat only" system...that's fine.
But, this thread is about something beyond technique...
If you want to debate the value of Do vs Jutsu...start a new thread.

Thank you for the comments, anyway.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
S

sweeper

wait, are you saying that martial "ways" don't have the philosophical aspect of martial arts? I have heard this go both ways before (that"do" arts have less non combat related material than "jutsu: arts/ "jutsu" has less than "do")

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
wait, are you saying that martial "ways" don't have the philosophical aspect of martial arts? I have heard this go both ways before (that"do" arts have less non combat related material than "jutsu: arts/ "jutsu" has less than "do")

There are a couple of sides to this argument.

The first is that "do" and "jutsu" arts are separate entities, forever differentiated by their artsy demeanor on the one hand, and their combat orientation on the other. I see this the most in folks that are either character building purists or wannabe combat monsters.

The second is that "do" and "jutsu" are somehow the same thing, one being inextricably linked to the other through their lines of origin (since "do" arts almost always stem from "jutsu" beginnings). I see this the most with some judo and kendo players that want their art to be more than it is (e.g. "combat" judo, whatever that is... Or "kendo is really the identical to kenjutsu, we just use bamboo swords instead." Riiiiight... :rolleyes: ).

The third is that they are two sides of the very same coin, different aspects of one concept, far too closely related to be worthy of differentiation into "do" and "jutsu."

In Forrest Morgan's book Living the Martial Way, he encourages students to practice "jutsu," but to cultivate "do." I think this is the best way to approach the issue.

You cannot fully develop nor appreciate "do" without the rigors of training and experience that "jutsu" training will provide. I am sure we have all seen the long-haired, crystal-carrying, tree-hugging, new-age hippy aikidoka, as well as the hard charging, psycho-eyed, shaven-headed XXX-jutsu player... They are extremes of the same measurement, both without the slightest hint of the existence of the other.

I am sure, however, we have all run into that combination personality, the man or woman that hints at the embodiment of both "do" (in their cultivated, refined, peaceful grace) and "jutsu" (in their confident, powerful, predatory power).

We can debate all night long of which art is better, which way is better. Bottom line, as far as I know (and am concerned for that matter), as with so many things both are One. You cannot fully possess, develop nor understand one without the necessary existence of the other. To attempt to do so is to limit one's experience with the very first step on the Path.

Gambarimasu.

OP
C

chufeng

Sorry for the confusion...

I don't use the terms "do" and "jutsu" necessarily to distinguish Judo from Jujutso, as an example...rather I distinguish them as a frame of mind when approaching the art (whatever it is).

I know plenty of Judo players who are purely interested in application and tournament fighting...the whole philosophy of Judo is lost on them...I would refer to this frame of mind as one who is jutsu oriented...

On the other hand I know plenty of Jujutsu stylists who are very philosophical in their approach to their art...though they "practice" a jutsu, they "live" the Do...

I hope this helps to clarify my point.
If not, PM me.

chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by sweeper
I'm saying a training philosophy, and a philosophy that can help you keep your cool, calm you, encourage you, and etc. is important.

What I do not think is very important is the origin of certain moves such as what animal it came from. It might help to be in the mindset of a crane, but how practical that is in a self-defense situation, I can't tell you it's just as important as the combat experience you gained, or mind control, and things of that nature.

OP
C

chufeng

MA,

I agree...

I never said anything about animals...
I asked about the three simple geometric shapes:
The square, the triangle, and the circle...
For as many posts as we have received...only three or four have addressed the original question...

Let's get back on track...

I'll share my viewpoint on Saturday. (and remember it is only my opinion)

chufeng

OP
S

sweeper

thanks yiliquan and chufeng.

I havn't seen/heard of the symbology of the square in either the JKD I practice or the Kali, doesn't mean it isn't there but I hanv't come across it.

In JKD the circle represents alot, as I understand it it's mostly a modification of wing chun phylosophy. In Kali the triangle has alot of symbology attached to it, but unfortunatly I'm not familiar with all of it, and I think it also means diffrent things to iffrent groups of people. Yeah I know this doesn't help a whole lot, but as I am not an expert (or even very talanted) in either I'm hisitant to post on the philosophical side of either.

OP
C

chufeng

Sweeper,

There are no right or wrong answers...
This thread is to stimulate a discussion (for those who participate) or simply to stimulate reflection on (for the lurkers) other aspects of the art you practice...

Every person's input is valuable...

chufeng

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The circle represents the 5 elements, which, although connectable in both straight lines (Which form a 5 pointed star when they are all conected in order) and the square (which connects the conceptual lines between any 4 elements at once) still flow in a cirlce.

Water overcomes fire as fire overcomes air as air overcomes the void as the void overcomes earth as earth overcomes water as Water overcomes fire...

I wish I had the diagrams of this to post... (especially so i could make sure i got which element overcomes which element correctly, LOL)

OP
C

chufeng

Cycle of destruction is:
Water=>Fire=>Metal=>Wood=>Earth

Cycle of generation is:
Fire=>Earth=>Metal=>Water=>Wood

chufeng

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
I learned what you call the 'cycle of destruction' as the controlling cycle, where each element in the creation cycle controls/inhibits the element two steps ahead of it. In traditional chinese medicine it is called the grandmother/grandson cycle, as it works like a grandparent exerting control over a grandchild. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a long way from real understanding and I'm not disagreeing with you.

OP
C

chufeng

You are absolutely right...depending on which text you reference...
The cycle of destruction is also called the cycle of control...

But now we are going off in another tangent...
We can spin many threads off of this one, apparently.

The "cycle" represented by the circle IS one aspect of the circle...

Let's not get side-tracked, though...if anyone wants a thread on traditional Chinese medicine...start one...I'll be in there.

chufeng

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chufeng, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the original question. There's no square in my arts' symbolism (epak) far as I know and the symbolism isn't something I've really dwelt upon. I have the impression that you are very knowledgable so I really would like your views. O.K. , I guess to be fair I'll have to give at least a guess on the square thing. Could it represent that which is structured and unchanging , as in the basics or physical core of the art? Or to be more esoteric, basic morals that wrong is wrong and truth is true thru all time?

OP
C

chufeng

Gary,

I will post my response to the IDEA of the three symbols tomorrow...

YOU are right on target with the "guess;" the square represents your FOUNDATION...

Thanks for participating.

chufeng

OP
C

chufeng

Sorry this is a day later than I promised...

The three geometric shapes of the triangle, square, and circle can have many symbolic interpretations within any given martial art.

One can look at it strictly from a strategic perspective.
One can look at it from a technical perspective.
One can look at it from a philosophical or spiritual perspective.
Each perspective is valid. BUT, it is important to integrate all of the perspectives and BECOME all three shapes when you practice your particular art.

The input others have shared in this thread is encouraging…it shows that there are students out there willing to look at their art from more than just a physical perspective.

The following is simply my view on how the shapes might be viewed and applied.
If one were to look at the shapes individually, that is each shape represents something specific, I would classify them in the following way:

Square = Foundation (Basics, basics, basics)
Triangle = Stance (the most stable structure is a pyramid…be one)
Circle = Spirit (Awareness, humility, wisdom, and spirit are encompassed by this idea)

However, I like to view all three shapes existing within the other…each shape becomes dominant, depending on the situation…and in any given situation any of the shapes may dominate. In other words they FLUX between dominance and secondary influence.

Now, let’s look at what the shapes represent in the physical world. When I say square, I really mean cube, because we exist in a three dimensional world (not counting the fourth dimension of time and the fifth dimension of folded time/space). Likewise, when I say Triangle, I mean pyramid…and when I say Circle, I mean sphere.

Square is the easiest to address, because it really does remain mostly in the physical plane. It refers to Foundation…this means an absolutely SOLID understanding of the basic techniques of your system…Not one of the fancy maneuvers you may learn means squat without a grounding in the basics of your system. The basics are what you build your art upon…if your basics are weak, your foundation is weak…and hence, your whole system (note: this is referring to individuals within a system, not any given system AS a system) suffers…
Strategically, the square represents moving straight forward, straight backward, or at 90 degrees to an attack…
Philosophically, it represents the moral underpinnings of who you are…
Spiritually, it represents stillness.

Triangle, on the physical level, refers to a strong base stance with a light upper body for maximum rooting and mobility.
On a tactical level, it certainly could represent the point of a spear…that is a “straight in and pierce the defenses” approach to an attack…On a defensive point, it may represent splitting an incoming force so that the majority of power goes around you.
Strategically, it represents stepping at angles to position yourself out of the line of fire and within range for an immediate counterattack.
On a philosophical level, it may represent the interplay between the other two shapes. It may represent the mountain we each have chosen to climb (each of us may have a different path on that mountain, however). It may represent the mountain that is lit on one side and dark on the other…the proverbial Yin and Yang…etc.
Spiritually, (depending on your metaphysical and religious persuasion) it could represent a “trinity,” a hierarchy of deities, a progressive level of transcendence, or YOUR place in the big scheme of things. It may show HOW we each interconnect to each other and our environment.

Circle…Technically, a sphere, filled with air, can absorb and then bounce back a force applied to it. Further, if one were to examine a solid sphere closely, one would see that the sphere contacts the ground (or whatever it encounters) at a single point…BUT, the full mass of the sphere is behind that contact…that is a tremendous amount of concentrated force…learn to hit like that.
Strategically, the circle can be used to develop centrifugal force (like the spinning kicks seen in TaeKwonDo) or centripetal force (like that seen in Aikido or small circle jujutsu)…Also, since the sphere encounters something at a single point, one can shift the center of the sphere when contact has been made to REDIRECT force. Of course, there is much more that can be said about the technical and strategic aspects of the circle…you explore those.
Philosophically, one could say that for each ending is a new beginning…learning never stops.
From the perspective of my particular art, circle represents center…the size of the circle changes in conjunction with the situation (whether it’s strategic, tactical, or Spiritual) We move from one-point (center) in everything we do…we connect one-point to our opponent (opponent is not the best word, since, according to our philosophy, we are all one) and feel his intent and react to that…we are empty when the attack occurs and return only that which was given…this is where our philosophy and martial practice overlap…this is where our philosophy is expressed through physical action…
Spiritually, circle can represent many things…from a zen perspective, it represents No-mindedness…that is a mindfullness that is ever present and receptive…or a state of awareness that quite simply goes beyond description…it could represent the oneness of all things…it could represent God in that there is no beginning or ending to a circle…it is the shape which most easily encompasses the other two…

In reality one could easily write a book on the ideas represented by these three simple geometric shapes…This has been a brief sharing of some ideas from me…the ideas are mine…then again, I may be full of crap…so, if you can use them, great…if not, that’s OK, too.

chufeng

Latest Discussions