G'day from down under

lamanna

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
Awesome setup you've got here, I remember first visiting in 2004 when I first became interested in Martial Arts, good to see you're still alive and kicking. :D I'm from Melbourne Australia so you'll probably see me constantly complaining abour our weapon laws so feel free to ignore me hehe. I first decided to take up a Martial Arts in 2004 but I couldn't afford it. Two years later though, worked my butt of during the holidays and finally started last Saturday.

I read quite a bit about making the right choice of what and where to study but in the end I visited one place and it just clicked. I had my eye on Wing Chun, Kyokushin Karate and Jiu-Jitsu but they were all a fair distance away. I wasn't too concerned with what people wrote on the net about each style, I just wanted a bit of everything. Searching the yelllowpages I found a Filipino system and went to check it out. The Master, upon seeing myself and a friend enter, quickly sorted his class out to train amoungst themselves and spent an hour with us going through the purpose of the particular style and what the progression was. I love how you start off with sticks then move to hand to hand.

The first class I participated in was heaps of fun, we learnt locks and disarms. I originally thought about doing a style with big kicks and punches but that all changed. I like the quick and short kicks and punches but locks and hold is really where it's all at for me. :) There have been very few times where I've been in a situation and had belting the suitcase out of someone was neccessary. For me, it's more about restraining using locks, hold, takedowns and whatever other non-brutal moves there are.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this fine community, although I doubt I can add much at this stage but I'll do what I can. :)

Thanks for having me. :)

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT...or should I say, "Welcome back"? ;) Glad to have you here; we can all learn a little something from each other.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Looking forward to your posts!:ultracool

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome back...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome! I'm glad you found somehting close and appealing.

Jeff

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lamanna said:
Awesome setup you've got here, I remember first visiting in 2004 when I first became interested in Martial Arts, good to see you're still alive and kicking. :D I'm from Melbourne Australia so you'll probably see me constantly complaining abour our weapon laws so feel free to ignore me hehe. I first decided to take up a Martial Arts in 2004 but I couldn't afford it. Two years later though, worked my butt of during the holidays and finally started last Saturday.

I read quite a bit about making the right choice of what and where to study but in the end I visited one place and it just clicked. I had my eye on Wing Chun, Kyokushin Karate and Jiu-Jitsu but they were all a fair distance away. I wasn't too concerned with what people wrote on the net about each style, I just wanted a bit of everything. Searching the yelllowpages I found a Filipino system and went to check it out. The Master, upon seeing myself and a friend enter, quickly sorted his class out to train amoungst themselves and spent an hour with us going through the purpose of the particular style and what the progression was. I love how you start off with sticks then move to hand to hand.

The first class I participated in was heaps of fun, we learnt locks and disarms. I originally thought about doing a style with big kicks and punches but that all changed. I like the quick and short kicks and punches but locks and hold is really where it's all at for me. :) There have been very few times where I've been in a situation and had belting the suitcase out of someone was neccessary. For me, it's more about restraining using locks, hold, takedowns and whatever other non-brutal moves there are.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this fine community, although I doubt I can add much at this stage but I'll do what I can. :)

Congrats on your new art, and welcome back!

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to MT :wavey:

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
lamanna said:

Just wanted to say HI. So, HI HI HI HI
Have an awesome time posting. Hope to see you around the boards.
:) :) :)

Latest Discussions