G'day

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that way actually. I was just trying illustrate the point that proficiency in any style takes time. A year is not that long really in terms of learning an entire art and getting good enough to use it. I felt that the other poster was dismissive of Hapkido without much actual experience to back it up.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that way actually. I was just trying illustrate the point that proficiency in any style takes time. A year is not that long really in terms of learning an entire art and getting good enough to use it. I felt that the other poster was dismissive of Hapkido without much actual experience to back it up.

Lol, I was that person and I was using sarcasm to combat your sarcasm. Obviously one year isn't enough time to master an art. I've spent enough time in martial arts to form an educated opinion though, and I've trained regularly in other arts since my time in hapkido without taking a break. A guy who trained half heartedly for a year and hasn't trained since May be deserving of your skepticism but, the view that you must be proficient in any art to comment on it is ridiculous. If you don't like my opinions you're more than welcome to write me off as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about because he hasn't trained the system long enough. This is a fairly common view among people who can't accept criticism, especially in martial arts.

My point is hapkido has many areas of skill that divide the practitioner's training time. Martial arts is a journey and many of us train for reasons other than fighting ability. In which case, who cares what art you choose? I was sharing my thoughts on the OP. Hapkido certainly isn't the only art with a comprehensive curriculum. Im personally not a fan of comprehensive arts and explained why. If proficiency is your goal spreading yourself thin in many areas of study is like taking the long route. I don't think hapkido sucks by any means, I just take an objective view. No single art is perfect, and being well rounded is a good goal for a fighter. As a student looking for an art, it's important to consider all pros and cons of a system, bearing in mind your reason for training.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I've found that the syllabus of HKD to be building blocks of the principles and not as extensive as first perceived. I agree the soft side of martial arts takes more time for a student to understand and learn but has its unique rewards as well.

It will come down to the individual and your capacity, train in what feels right for you and keeps you going back each week.