GDay and complex stance question

OP
T

Tubsy

White Belt
Reaction score
yes very orthodox, im a very predictable fighter, im always going to jab with my left and always going to kick with my right, if i was ring fighting this might be an issue as they would quickly work out what i was going to do, but im not, so the thing is to be good at what you can do well whilst working on your defects , rather than fight nature and teach yourself to fight wrong way round or wait for your body to ballance its self

teach yourself to hit things hard with what you have, put on points for style later

We are in a similar situation. Are you right or left handed?

To the point above, you lose alot of power if your injured hand/foot leads. Have u tried switching stance to southpaw?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are in a similar situation. Are you right or left handed?

To the point above, you lose alot of power if your injured hand/foot leads. Have u tried switching stance to southpaw?
thats a bad idea, as above

your approaching this from the view of what your disability prevents you from doing , rather than what you can

how hard do you want to punch someone? if you have a free punch you should really be able to knock them over just using your weak leg as a piviot, that your lost, say 10% power from you weakness, matters nothing if they are on the floor.

its about working the inter muscle co ordination to do that, rather than focusing on why you cant do that, whilst also working on your weakness

OP
T

Tubsy

White Belt
Reaction score
But my strong hand is my left. If I change to orthodox my left jab will out punch most and my left leg should be able to.kick faster higher and stronger. Why do u think this is a bad thing?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But my strong hand is my left. If I change to orthodox my left jab will out punch most and my left leg should be able to.kick faster higher and stronger. Why do u think this is a bad thing?
if thats what you want to do, do it

im happy that my left lead is mildly iritating and my right hook lifts them of the floor

your not doing the old one two, are you? just 1,1,1

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My friend, qualified or not relative to you, has given me some inspiration/food for thought. Do you have any suggestions for a lefty with a right leg issue?

I already gave it to you. I said if one side is more flexible and strong, you typically want that side on the rear to deliver power.

There's a difference between having a weak side and having an injured side. If your right side is prone to injury, then you want to go orthodox. If your right side is just stiff and/or weak, you want to go southpaw.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The front leg is exposed in a very leg kicky environment.
Not if you know how to turn your shin bone into your opponent's roundhouse kick. The side way stance can be a good way to bait your opponent's roundhouse kick if you are good at of catching it.

Also side way stance is very difficult for your opponent to apply double leg on you. Your opponent may be able to reach your leading leg, but he won't be able to reach to your back leg.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In mirror stance (you have right side forward and your opponent has left side forward), it's easy for you to use your leading right hand to grab and guide your opponent's leading left arm to your left (your opponent's right), and force his left leading arm to jam his own right back arm.

If your leading right hand is your strong side, and your opponent's leading left hand is his weak side, you will have advantage.

This is why for a striker to put strong side back is a bad idea.

orthodox.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not if you know how to turn your shin bone into your opponent's roundhouse kick. The side way stance can be a good way to bait your opponent's roundhouse kick if you are good at of catching it.

Also side way stance is very difficult for your opponent to apply double leg on you. Your opponent may be able to reach your leading leg, but he won't be able to reach to your back leg.
With the type of fully bladed sidewise stance that Bill Wallace favored, it is very difficult to turn your lead shin into an opponent’s oncoming outside round kick in time. It’s one of the trade-offs that comes with that sort of stance.

Imagine that you are in a fully bladed Bill Wallace style stance with your left side forward facing an opponent to your north. Your feet and shins will be facing more or less to the east. If your opponent is also fighting with a left hand lead and throws a right leg round kick to your lead leg, it will be coming from the west towards the back of your left leg. In order to turn your shin into the kick you not only have to rotate your left leg outwards at least 135 degrees, you’ll also have to shift the rest of your body in order to allow that rotation. That is very difficult to do in the time you have available to react. This is why you just about never see this stance used in Muay Thai.

There are other advantages to the fully bladed stance and there are ways to deal with leg kicks or to modify the stance to make it less vulnerable, but checking low kicks is a definite weakness in that structure.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
stance with your left side forward facing an opponent to your north. Your feet and shins will be facing more or less to the east.
When you stance and facing north, your opponent's roundhouse kick (or foot sweep) can come from the west. It can also come from the east.

This is why your leading foot should point to north (with30% - 40% weight). This way, you can turn your leading foot to the east, or to the west with the same speed.

orthodox.jpg

I don't like this kind of side way stance. You expose the heel of your leading leg for your opponent's foot sweep.
Bill-Wallace-stance.jpg

When you use right leg to low roundhouse kick your opponent's leading left leg, if he turns his shin bone into you, that's shin bone against shin bone, whoever has stronger shin bone will have advantage.

old-man-crack.jpg

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is anyone here a Southpaw who fights orthodox? How have you managed the transition?
I can fight either way. Here's what works form. My Southpaw side is different than my orthodox side. In other words. I didn't try to make my Southpaw side do the same things my orthodox side does. I fight Southpaw with techniques that feel comfortable with fighting on that side. So fighting Southpaw means my power hand is up front. So I have techniques that I use when my power hand is up front. Then when I fight orthodox then I fight with techniques that work better with my power hand back.

Fighting exactly the same way on both side is difficult. I found that it's better to use what naturally flows from the left side vs trying to force it to do too many things that feel strange and too weak. Now instead of me having Techniques 1-5 on both sides. I have techniques 1-5 on my right side and techniques 6-10 on my left.

As a result I then to fight south paw more now even though I'm right handed. With your strong side forward, you'll just need to find the techniques that work best for that

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Wado Ryu, we are taught to do everything off both sides, so you can switch very easily when needed. We've followed this through to our MMA, you aren't dependant on having just one fighting stance then. It means you can switch easily to confuse your opponent or if you are injured. Being reliant as boxers are on one fighting stance is limiting.
There have been times when I've been injured during sparring and had to put the injured limb to the back. It doesn't seem like much but it's better then putting that injury on the front line.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fighting exactly the same way on both side is difficult.
Agree! I'll always put my right side forward and I'll never switch sides. But I train 2 sets of skill, one set to deal with right side forward opponent, one set to deal with left side forward opponent.

When my opponent has

- right side forward, I'll circle to my left.
- left side forward, I'll circle to my right.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you stance and facing north, your opponent's roundhouse kick (or foot sweep) can come from the west. It can also come from the east.

This is why your leading foot should point to north (with30% - 40% weight). This way, you can turn your leading foot to the east, or to the west with the same speed.

orthodox.jpg

I don't like this kind of side way stance. You expose the heel of your leading leg for your opponent's foot sweep.
Bill-Wallace-stance.jpg

When you use right leg to low roundhouse kick your opponent's leading left leg, if he turns his shin bone into you, that's shin bone against shin bone, whoever has stronger shin bone will have advantage.

old-man-crack.jpg
I
4-6-stance.jpg

I prefer this as well but not to the this extreme. When the foot is pointing north, it makes shuffling foot work more difficult. I turn my foot in just a little
upload_2021-2-7_17-1-30.png

This way I can provide a solid defense and attack posture without affecting my mobility (shuffling) A fully bladed stance always made me feel as if I was leaving the side doors open.
upload_2021-2-7_17-4-8.png

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

orthodox.jpg
Yep, this stance allows for better protection against low kicks. It has other strengths and weaknesses of its own, but it does allow for the possibility of checking low kicks.

Bill-Wallace-stance.jpg
This is the stance that was being referenced upthread which drop bear noted was highly vulnerable to low kicks. It worked well for Wallace in his career because he fought under rules which didn't allow low kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When your opponent has right side forward, your left side inward stance can prevent his powerful back left leg low roundhouse kick.

xxx.png

You still have to watch out your opponent's leading right leg to scoop behind your leading left foot ankle. The left foot inward stance can expose your ankle for that.

my-scoop.gif

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In other words, it's

- OK to turn your toes inward in mirror stance (you and your opponent have different sides forward).
- not OK to turn your toes inward in uniform stance (you and your opponent have same sides forward).
I'm not sure how my feet are when I'm in a uniform stance. Most people I've sparred with are right handed.

Just watched a video of me sparring with my brother who is left handed. I didn't have my foot turned the same way. He's used to fighting right handed people so when I fight with him I will often just stay power hand forward, since most of his set ups are based on attacking a right handed person. Come think of it, I think he got the best of me when switched to a mirror stance. He's definitely had to deal with that stance longer than I have.

You still have to watch out your opponent's leading right leg to scoop behind your leading left foot ankle. The left foot inward stance can expose your ankle for that.
The video that you showed with this post is the reverse of a sweep that I've used before. But it follows the same principles because it's a front leg sweep/ scoop /hook. And you're right. about the scoop. In the past I thought they would be difficult do to because the person would be weighing down on the leg, but it's surprisingly easy to do. Sometimes and opponent will even help the lift by trying to escape.

What is triggering your student to move backwards?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure how my feet are when I'm in a uniform stance. Most people I've sparred with are right handed.
In uniform stance, if I can easily reach to my opponent's leading foot ankle, I'll use foot sweep without thinking. It doesn't matter whether my foot sweep can take my opponent down or not. As long as my opponent's leading foot is off the ground, I can safely move in.

sweep-against-punch.gif

What is triggering your student to move backwards?
My knee seize.

my-knee-seize.gif

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have just joined the board, what a great resource!

After 20 years of sitting on my **** Ive gotten back into martial arts given my son has just moved into his adult Kyokushin class and I got bored of watching. Aprox 10 weeks later Ive dropped alot of weight and getting much fitter.

The issue I have is that I was born with a structural club foot/leg (right), which means it only has half the muscle mass, and isnt very strong or flexible - I cant squat without lifting my right ankle. My right leg isnt good for much other than a snap kick/teep.

As a southpaw it feels most natural to have my left foot back, but one of my friends told me recently that I should change to orthodox so my power hands/feet are leading and therefore I can leverage the strength and flexibility in them.

Is anyone here a Southpaw who fights orthodox? How have you managed the transition?

Thanks in advance,

Tubs

Hi Tubs, welcome to Martial Talk, brother.

I think it's something that you're going to have to work on with advice from your instructor and some trial and error on your own.

To me, ultimately, it's the trial and error on your own that's the most fun. And gives the best results in the long run.

Go getup', bro.

Latest Discussions