Fyi

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just another case of someone trying to tag the word "military" onto their art in an effort to somehow cash in on the mystique of modern soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines and the relatively unknown and poorly understood lifestyle we lead...

I wonder what makes it "military," and how, specifically, swinging a stick at someone's head then tossing them a$$ over appetite helps in teaching military interpersonal communication and leadership skills... :rolleyes:

I've been in for 11 years now, ex-Drill Sergeant, ex-Infantry and Cavalry, and never once did anyone ever mistake trying to incapacitate or kill the enemy for an interpersonal communications class... :lol: Except maybe as a joke.

And just having had military service time (how long was she in, and what did she do while there?) doesn't make your martial art military, nor you a military martial arts instructor... :rolleyes:

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
I think she was a marine photographer.

And as we all well know, those darn Marine Photographers are trained to take on and eliminate literally hundreds of enemy paparazzi with only the bare minimum of equipment...

Yeah, being a militar photojournalist is the epitome of combat training and experience... :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
And as we all well know, those darn Marine Photographers are trained to take on and eliminate literally hundreds of enemy paparazzi with only the bare minimum of equipment...

Yeah, being a militar photojournalist is the epitome of combat training and experience... :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Well let us assume she is a marine.

Then every Marine no matter the designation, I think that all marines have an infantry designation.

So, does anyone actualy know if she was truly in the Military?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having a "designation" doesn't mean that the person in question actually does that kind of training on a regular basis... That is why they have their primary job skill - to do that job, not their additional "designation."

I am in the JAG Corps. I carry an infantry MOS as my secondary MOS, but the last time I saw a mortar was back in 1991... Since then, I've been doing my "real" job, being a paralegal.

Gambarimasu.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
1. I know. I'm having fun with the absurdity of it all.

2. At times I'm not so sure.

Over and out,

Dan Anderson

PS - Hey! I'm finally a Brown Belt poster.

Ohhhh! Your a brown belt poster! Maybe you should get permision from Webmaster Bob Hubbard to start your own division of "Military Martial Talk." :p

Or better yet, just say something like "Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a talk forum for the military?" Then when Bob says "yes," then you go off and start your own division of 'military martial talk' and then just say you had the webmasters permission to do so. Yea, that's it.:rolleyes:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Works for me....

Now, if I can just get all you folks to send in your payments for all those MartialTalk belt promotions....

Supreme Grand Professor, Sensei-Soke, Ruler of the Dark Segment, and all around Hoopy Frood Kaith

:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yousa Senior Citisen Master JarJar Binks Anderson, Gungan K-Night!

:rofl:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Having a "designation" doesn't mean that the person in question actually does that kind of training on a regular basis... That is why they have their primary job skill - to do that job, not their additional "designation."

I am in the JAG Corps. I carry an infantry MOS as my secondary MOS, but the last time I saw a mortar was back in 1991... Since then, I've been doing my "real" job, being a paralegal.

Gambarimasu.

Matt,

Thank you, I knew one of our Military Friends would step up and finish my thoughts.

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Eeeeeyyaaaauuuuggghhhhhhhhh!

After the hosing over I took for using the title Professor, I have to read this? I was a 6th degree for 7 years when she was a brown belt!?!

Man, somebody owes me an apology or at least a few beers.

Terry,
Go pick on Lisa and Jeff.

Yours,
(The highly disputed) Professor Dan Anderson

I am sure that Jeff Delaaney will be happy to pay for those beers!

Lamont

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
I'm a college professor. Remy Presas would at times address me or introduce me as "Doctor" and allude to the fact that I was a teacher or (college) professor. He was also very pedantic in referring to Jordan Yee and Randi Schea as "doctor" (both are medical doctors). Prof. Presas had a great respect for education.

It would simply not occur to me to use my academic title of Professor in a martial arts context. It'd be like asking my college students to call me Guro. In fairness however, I must say that unlike other martial arts that use Professor as an official title (e.g. Kenpo) or award it to high-ranking practitioners as a sign of respect, Remy Presas was a physical education professor in the Philippines and this title followed him. In that regard one could argue that Ms. McManus is following a similar route. I would find such an argument disingenuous however because in the Modern Arnis world it is clear that the Professor was Remy Presas and thetitle came to refer to his knowledge of arnis, not his former occupation. For example, he gave out the title "junior professor" in Modern Arnis, which was not an academic title. It seems to me as though this use is meant to mislead people.

Has Ms. McManus been clear as to whether the professor title refers to her job or her position in Mr. Delaney's IMAF? Does she have a Professor title granted by Mr. Delaney?

You are certinly in the correct church, but perhaps not the correct pew, Arnisador! Has ANYONE thought to write to the VP for Academic Affairs at Norwich University to inquiry as to Ms. McManus' status as a member of the teaching faculty, if any. Has anyone asked whether she is employed on a full or part-time basis and in what department? Then it would also be necessary to find out if is employed full or part-time by the NROTC Unit at Norwich University. Ususally the ROTC Units at most colleges are an adjunct program with seperate hiring policies and personnel.
(Hint, hint, hint)

Do your homework and then compare your data with mine. The the truth shall be known. It is there if you ask the right questions of the right people.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by norshadow1
Ususally the ROTC Units at most colleges are an adjunct program with seperate hiring policies and personnel.
(Hint, hint, hint)

Norwich may be exceptional w.r.t. its ROTC units but generally some of the ROTC staff are given professorial titles and considered part of the faculty; others may be given instructorships or no titles. Only the school could give an academic title.

I check into this some time back but haven't checked again recently.

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Boar Man
Reply to Kaith

I believe Mrs. McManus was in the Marines. FMA magazine had a cover article on her a few years ago and I believe she was in the Marines.

You are correct. I remembered the issue and re-read it last night when I first saw the Hartman post that started this thread. We have to give here credit where it is due, but no one has to accept BS when it comes to "Military Arnis". As I remember several interviews with the late Professor, he taught military and special police units in the Philippines before his exile to the USA. There is also the small matter of his brother Ernesto, also teaching military and police in the Philippines the "Presas Family Style of Arnis". There is also the small but important matter of their father Jose Presas, who taught Filipino military units during and after WWII.

So what is new and unique with regard Ms. McManus' Arnis program at the NROTC Unit at Norwich University? I would need convincing that she has anything new to offer. Her very short training time in Modern Arnis and her extremely rapid rise to 5th degree, plus the "professor" title, just leave me a little bit suspect of her true qualifications to author a NEW method.

Lamont

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
Norwich may be exceptional w.r.t. its ROTC units but generally some of the ROTC staff are given professorial titles and considered part of the faculty; others may be given instructorships or no titles. Only the school could give an academic title.

I check into this some time back but haven't checked again recently.

Point well taken, Arnisador, and exactly why I noted that ROTC Programs *are usually* adjunct. Also why I suggested contacting the VP for Academic Affairs. All of the criticqal questions will be answerd there... hint...

Lamont

T

twinkletoes

Man, I'm going to be teaching a self-defense class through Wesleyan's Phys ed department. Maybe I should start being "Professor Twinkletoes."

And maybe if I teach some Arnis in the class I could start asking all the other Modern Arnis black belts (pretty much all of whom outrank me) to start calling me "Professor" too. That would be great!

~Twinkletoes

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by twinkletoes
Man, I'm going to be teaching a self-defense class through Wesleyan's Phys ed department. Maybe I should start being "Professor Twinkletoes."

And maybe if I teach some Arnis in the class I could start asking all the other Modern Arnis black belts (pretty much all of whom outrank me) to start calling me "Professor" too. That would be great!

~Twinkletoes

Well bless my soul, "Professor Twinkletoes", we do need to do some talking - is your self defense class going to be a credit program or a club program? Drop me a line or two. BTW are you going to attend the Sympsoium next month? I would love to have an opportunity to discuss your ideas about running a college based program.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions