Fyi

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Military Arnis at NROTC Norwich University

On April 29, 2003, the leadership team at NROTC Norwich University paid tribute to Colonel Mark Costa, United States Marine Corps in their demonstration of Military Arnis, the art of Professor Lisa McManus and a division of Modern Arnis. Colonel Costa, Commanding Officer at NROTC and a 30-year United States Marine, retired that day, leaving behind a legacy of leadership and enthusiasm that will long be reflected in the students he empowered during his command at NROTC. Colonel Costa, with his wisdom and leadership ability, is representative of the true martial spirit and our code: "Honor, Courage and Commitment to Others".

Military Arnis was developed by Professor McManus in 1999 with the blessing of the late Grandmaster Remy Presas, founder of Modern Arnis. Military Arnis was specifically designed by McManus to meet the needs of our United States Military teaching leadership and communication skills in addition to combative techniques from Modern Arnis, Small Circle Jujitsu, Wing Chun and Judo. Grandmaster Presas was thrilled to know that his art would be a valuable part of training the United States Military through the efforts of McManus. Military Arnis, the art of Professor McManus, is recognized as a division of the IMAF; therefore, the students are acknowledged by Grandmaster Delaney and the IMAF Board of Directors.

Mr. Ryan Mount, Mr. Kevin Wong, Mr. Stephen Johnson and Mr. Ross Abramowitz trained with Professor McManus beginning in the freshman year at NROTC Norwich University; now three years later, they are the first brown belts in the style. "Our standards are very high. The students in our program must first distinguish themselves as leaders in addition to mastering the martial skills of our Art in order to qualify for testing. Mr. Mount, Mr. Wong, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Abramowitz trained diligently for 3 years and surpassed our expectations. They raised the bar for the entire Command," reported a very proud McManus.

At the April 29th ceremony, Professor Mcmanus was recognized for her contributions to the development to the students at NROTC as leaders and awarded a plaque by the Commanding Officer NROTC Norwich University, Colonel Mark A. Costa, United States Marine Corps. "Honor, courage and commitment to others"

T

The Mist

I supspect you were just tossing that one out into the Lions den to see if anyone poked at the carcass? Was your point that you find it amazing how people try and rewrite history to suit there own personal agenda? I am only guessing of course!

:eek:

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade

Military Arnis was developed by Professor McManus in 1999 with the blessing of the late Grandmaster Remy Presas, founder of Modern Arnis.

WHAT???? in 1999 she was a brown belter!!!:confused:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade

Military Arnis was developed by Professor McManus in 1999 with the blessing of the late Grandmaster Remy Presas, founder of Modern Arnis. Military Arnis was specifically designed by McManus to meet the needs of our United States Military teaching leadership and communication skills in addition to combative techniques from Modern Arnis, Small Circle Jujitsu, Wing Chun and Judo. Grandmaster Presas was thrilled to know that his art would be a valuable part of training the United States Military through the efforts of McManus. Military Arnis, the art of Professor McManus, is recognized as a division of the IMAF; therefore, the students are acknowledged by Grandmaster Delaney and the IMAF Board of Directors.

Eeeeeyyaaaauuuuggghhhhhhhhh!

After the hosing over I took for using the title Professor, I have to read this? I was a 6th degree for 7 years when she was a brown belt!?!

Man, somebody owes me an apology or at least a few beers.

Terry,
Go pick on Lisa and Jeff.

Yours,
(The highly disputed) Professor Dan Anderson

B

bloodwood

Military Arnis, the art of Professor McManus, is recognized as a division of the IMAF;

I guess she took ALL her years of military training and ALL her years of combat Modern Arnis to develop Military Arnis.

And all these years we've been kept in the dark about this awesome subsystem of Modern Arnis. I feel cheated. Maybe she'll write a book then that way we can get caught up in about 10 minutes or so.

Military Arnis my ***!!!
:tank: :moon:

T

The Mist

Dan no one owes you an apology. You are a world class and well respected martial artist. Having said that, you have been there and done that and should know better than to try and take the "Professor" title. She does teach at that acadamy... and her credentials are greatly exaggerated, which most of the community of Arnis People are aware of. You are not going to see a long list of people trying to talk her out of it. Because it would fall on deaf ears. The people "in the know" know what is going on over there and have to sit and stew because they can do nothing to control it. I am sure Mr Hartman just brought it to our attention, in case anyone heard about it second hand. Kind of a heads up, and take a look at this tomfoolery. So to speak. So, yes, you are right to get your ire up... but, it shouldn't be at us... it should be directed toward the Delaney camp. Things like this are part of the reason there is a rift in the IMAF. I don't represent that group so it is only speculation. Mr. Anderson you did the right thing by renouncing the Professor title. One could only hope she had the sense to do this also. But, don't hold your breath. Maybe she is sticking with the definition of "college" professor. But, knowing her... probably not.

:uhoh: :uhoh:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Mist
Maybe she is sticking with the definition of "college" professor.

I'm a college professor. Remy Presas would at times address me or introduce me as "Doctor" and allude to the fact that I was a teacher or (college) professor. He was also very pedantic in referring to Jordan Yee and Randi Schea as "doctor" (both are medical doctors). Prof. Presas had a great respect for education.

It would simply not occur to me to use my academic title of Professor in a martial arts context. It'd be like asking my college students to call me Guro. In fairness however, I must say that unlike other martial arts that use Professor as an official title (e.g. Kenpo) or award it to high-ranking practitioners as a sign of respect, Remy Presas was a physical education professor in the Philippines and this title followed him. In that regard one could argue that Ms. McManus is following a similar route. I would find such an argument disingenuous however because in the Modern Arnis world it is clear that the Professor was Remy Presas and thetitle came to refer to his knowledge of arnis, not his former occupation. For example, he gave out the title "junior professor" in Modern Arnis, which was not an academic title. It seems to me as though this use is meant to mislead people.

Has Ms. McManus been clear as to whether the professor title refers to her job or her position in Mr. Delaney's IMAF? Does she have a Professor title granted by Mr. Delaney?

T

The Mist

Arnisador (sp?) ... I agree... most of your post reflects what went on in a very big post that Dan Anderson started about himself.
I TOTALLY AGREE THAT THE TITLE OF PROFESSOR SHOULD NOT BE USED IN A MODERN ARNIS CONTEXT. :cool:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Mist
1. Dan no one owes you an apology.
2. Mr. Anderson you did the right thing by renouncing the Professor title.
:uhoh: :uhoh:

1. I know. I'm having fun with the absurdity of it all.

2. At times I'm not so sure.

Over and out,

Dan Anderson

PS - Hey! I'm finally a Brown Belt poster.

T

The Mist

PS - Hey! I'm finally a Brown Belt poster.

I just made yellow belt, maybe I shouldn't be allowed to spar with you big boys. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is her military qualifications?

Which theaters of combat did she see action in?

Which branch(s) did she serve with?

If the answers to these are : None, None, None then I have to wonder just what really is the true story here....

Too bad the JD camp is afraid to do much more than post 'atta boy' stories on their website and run ads in BlackBelt Mag.

:shrug:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reply to Kaith

I believe Mrs. McManus was in the Marines. FMA magazine had a cover article on her a few years ago and I believe she was in the Marines.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend who is currently overseas with the US Army. He is a Black Belt under Tim Hartman and was training a batalion in hand to hand combat.

last time I talked to him he told me the army was very particular about what was taught. Even though his credentials got him the training assignment he has to follow a very strict army curriculum when training.

I find it hard to belive the Marines (or any other branch) operates differently. I belive it is likely "Military Arnis" has nothing to do (at least officially) with the armed forces.

Food for thought.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Too bad the JD camp is afraid to do much more than post 'atta boy' stories on their website and run ads in BlackBelt Mag.

She writes most of the Camp Chronicles.