Fun to watch... but not taijiquan

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Which is why I put it in General CMA and not the Taijiquan section. In my opinion it is not TCMA either... hence the title "Wushu Championship" which really should be "Contemporary Wushu Championship"

The Championship Taijiquan performance from the 9th World Wushu Championships 2007 Men's Taijiquan - WU YaNan (China) 9.90 - 1st place

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems to be a Chen-based form, but mixed with a healthy smattering of Modern Wushu trickery and showmanship.

I am reminded of something my Sifu told me.

He and Madame Sun (daughter of Sun Lu Tang) were judging at a tournament, and the competitors were doing "wushu tai chi" for competition, complete with this kind of showmanship. Madame Sun turned to my sifu and said something like "after fifty years of practicing and teaching tai chi, and now we are reduced to this..."

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Chen based was my guess as well and I have sent this clip to my Taiji sifu (who like Madame Sun has also been taiji for over 50 years) and I can't wait to here what he has to say.

And I do believe Madame Sun was correct

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of the comments from the bottom of the video:
Overall kinesthetic control is amazing. Subtlety, rhythm, balance, and martial intent are all fully expressed.
The shift in Taiji's focus to Chen from Yang in recent years' competitions cannot be said to be a success without a performance like this.

As a non-CMA practitioner can you explain to me the difference between the Chen and Yang styles and what about the video disappoints you? Again, I'm an aikido-ka, not a practitioner of any of the chinese arts so if the explaination would make my head explode just point me in the direction of links for articles and videos so I can dig at my leisure.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is one of the comments from the bottom of the video:
Overall kinesthetic control is amazing. Subtlety, rhythm, balance, and martial intent are all fully expressed.
The shift in Taiji's focus to Chen from Yang in recent years' competitions cannot be said to be a success without a performance like this.

As a non-CMA practitioner can you explain to me the difference between the Chen and Yang styles and what about the video disappoints you? Again, I'm an aikido-ka, not a practitioner of any of the chinese arts so if the explaination would make my head explode just point me in the direction of links for articles and videos so I can dig at my leisure.

Tung Hu Ling
Yang Style

Chen Xiaowang
Chen Style

The video of the Wushu competition although pretty has no substance no real application and incorrect use of power. It is the difference between Boxing and gymnastics, both take talent but they are not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I saw some differences but I'm sure I missed more than I saw. It would be like me posting clips from two different styles of aikido in this situation...you'd see some differences but I'd see more.

I think that the misconception of CMA in America is that wushu is TCMA. It's the same with aikido. Folks see a Seagal movie and think they've seen real aikido instead of Hollywood's version. Same with the CMA and Jet Li or Jackie Chan.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I saw some differences but I'm sure I missed more than I saw. It would be like me posting clips from two different styles of aikido in this situation...you'd see some differences but I'd see more.

I think that the misconception of CMA in America is that wushu is TCMA. It's the same with aikido. Folks see a Seagal movie and think they've seen real aikido instead of Hollywood's version. Same with the CMA and Jet Li or Jackie Chan.

Very true.

Just look at the champion Taijiquan Wushu form from the POV that you already have with aikido, look at it from the pov of how useful is that really.

From a taiji perspective it has no root and the power is too external for starters. If you watch the way that Tung Hu Ling steps and moves from form to form or the way Chen Xioawang moves from form to form and how he hits the ground when he does jump and compare that to the Wushu Taiji video you see a lot of differences.

The Wushu version is impressive to watch but it is hollow.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
The physicality for the performance can still be there, but you need the ability to show not just an impressive acrobatic trick. You need to be able to show the solidity of practice which upholds traditional methodologies which include fighting.

You can take a traditional form, add the tricks to it for performance and still maintain that foundation in application of principles. The performance of the gentleman on the original post misses this point. I agree with Xue Sheng, 'hollow' and without substance.

Like a plate of nothing but meat with no rice.

Rob

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Wushu version is impressive to watch but it is hollow.

I have been trying for a while now to come up with a description of modern Wushu and I think you have nailed it. Hollow! And I have found that there is a great fondness in modern Wushu for the neijia, particularly taiji and bagua. That they can be performed beautifully is not in doubt. But performance of the shape of the form is only a small part of the art.

Hollow. Thanks Xue, just the word I was looking for.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends screw up perfectly good TCMA by flipping it to a Modern PRC Wushu style routine...

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with all the posts so far. But boy, I wish I was half as flexible:erg:.

Very best wishes

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That was a fun video to watch, but I have to agree with the others that it's not tai chi, or at least not only tai chi. AFAIK, you don't normally see jumps with one-leg landings in most tai chi forms, for example. My impression is that some of another style (wushu?) was mixed in to what I think was Chen style tai chi. I'm not very familiar with the various styles, but the harder moves and some actions seemed to resemble Chen moves I've seen in videos before. I kind of wonder why they called this tai chi when a more traditional form isn't being performed.

Latest Discussions