full contact

fighterdoc

White Belt
Reaction score
I did kajukenbo for a few months a couple of years ago. In that period of time I was only able to spar twice. Since then I have dabbled in BJJ and now am currently taking muay thai. I was wondering if there were more kajukenbo schools which did full contact sparring or is it the norm that they only spar once in awhile? Also, I noticed that their tournaments are point sparring. Are there any events which have full contact competition? I plan to go back to Kaju one day and would like to find a southern california school which is big on the sparring.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did kajukenbo for a few months a couple of years ago. In that period of time I was only able to spar twice. Since then I have dabbled in BJJ and now am currently taking muay thai. I was wondering if there were more kajukenbo schools which did full contact sparring or is it the norm that they only spar once in awhile? Also, I noticed that their tournaments are point sparring. Are there any events which have full contact competition? I plan to go back to Kaju one day and would like to find a southern california school which is big on the sparring.

Most Kajukenbo schools do hard to full contact sparring. At least in the adult classes. My students (other then beginners) do hard contact sparring, and if they want to spar full contact, we have boxing gloves and other protective equipment available. Most of the time they prefer to spar hard contact with grappling gloves, so they can also grapple also.
Some commercial schools have full contact kick boxing classes also for those that want to compete in kick boxing.
Although there aren't a lot of Kajukenbo tournaments the ones there are usually have a mix of competition. Point fighting, continuous sparring, grappling, stick fighting, kickboxing, MMA fighting.
There are very few Kajukenbo schools that spend the majority of their time on sport sparring, since there is lot of self defense material that is taught. Since most Kajukenbo schools are in YMCA's and community centers, they usually only have classes 2-3 days a week.
But there are commercial schools that have a 5-6 day schedule that will have more time available for sparring. In so. Calif there are commercial Kajukenbo schools in Glendora,and Los Angeles. Here's a couple.

http://www.creatriumonline.com/kajukenbo/
http://www.bundaskajukenbo.com/

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not sure which Kaju tournaments you're talking about since there aren't that many. I know GM Doug Bunda's tournament does have point sparring, but it's not like what you'll find at most tournaments. They go HARD. I'm 225 lbs, and I get kicked clean across the room on occasion. There was a Hawaiian /Polynesian section at the Internationals, but it was hard contact continuous sparring rather than point. Over all, I'd say Kajukenbo has harder sparring than most of the other MA schools outside of Kyokushin, or Muy Tai. Certainly harder than the Shotokan, TKD or Shaolin Kempo schools I've been to.