Frustration

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A long time ago I created a handful of exercises to help improve my Martial Arts practice. To develop several attributes that I'm completely lacking. There's just one catch. That being they require the use of another body to work with. I've shared some of them with my school, and got good responses about them. It felt really good to do them, and I was looking forward to doing them more.

But that never happened. Our school has a set curriculum, and what I created never gets used. I understand that, as our school doesn't revolve around what I want. I've tried to pair up with someone outside of class, but they're all to busy. I've considered leading my own class on a different day, but I'm highly doubtful anyone will show up, for the reason already mentioned. I've talked to people at work about Martial Arts, but haven't found anyone interested in doing it. I've looked at other schools, but since I'm always broke that's pretty much out of the question. (My current school is free, accepting donations when/if we can give it)

This is something that I've really been wanting to do, but I can't seem to find a partner anywhere. It's been so discouraging that I haven't been practicing at all for awhile now. I've been at a loss of what to do. I don't really expect anyone to have any answers. There doesn't seem to be one that I can see. I just wrote this eye sore to vent.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A long time ago I created a handful of exercises to help improve my Martial Arts practice. To develop several attributes that I'm completely lacking. There's just one catch. That being they require the use of another body to work with. I've shared some of them with my school, and got good responses about them. It felt really good to do them, and I was looking forward to doing them more.

But that never happened. Our school has a set curriculum, and what I created never gets used. I understand that, as our school doesn't revolve around what I want. I've tried to pair up with someone outside of class, but they're all to busy. I've considered leading my own class on a different day, but I'm highly doubtful anyone will show up, for the reason already mentioned. I've talked to people at work about Martial Arts, but haven't found anyone interested in doing it. I've looked at other schools, but since I'm always broke that's pretty much out of the question. (My current school is free, accepting donations when/if we can give it)

This is something that I've really been wanting to do, but I can't seem to find a partner anywhere. It's been so discouraging that I haven't been practicing at all for awhile now. I've been at a loss of what to do. I don't really expect anyone to have any answers. There doesn't seem to be one that I can see. I just wrote this eye sore to vent.
Stick with it. The more you look about any style the more deficiencies you will find. Sometimes the teachers will be receptive to new knowledge, sometimes they will feel threatened. Once you make modifications to your techniques and training, and adapt to your new understanding, you will be a much more accomplished martial artist.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and change your school, or even start up your own group so you can do the training you feel is important. This can even be under the umbrella of your present organisation.
But the most important thing is ... DON'T GIVE UP!!! :asian:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
You dont really need to hold your own class but can you not just get a few people together for training on a free day. Doesnt even have to be of the same style really.

I train 2 class sesions a week and also 1 private lesson a week and every sunday afternoon a few of us meet up down next to the river to train and since this isnt an actual lesson we get try things that would not be tried in class.

I am the kind of person that when I am not training I am sat thinking about training, thinking things like "if some one attacks me a cetrain way I am ment to evade the attack in this certain manner" then I start thinking "What if I did it this other way, I know it might be wrong but how is it wrong".

I feel that this freedom to take things in my own speed and try techniques not used in class helps me to progress at a much faster pace and helps me tune my arts concepts to fit me better.

So I would say try that and if you have just keep asking as someone will have a free day at least once and if they like it they will try again and then other people may want to start turning up.

This time of year puts people off with the cold and outside training and sometimes there can be only 2 of us but at summer there has been times the majority of class have came.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a few thoughts. Why not see if you can get other students to show up 15 min earlier and do those exercises with you. That way it isn't adding another class to their busy lives. The other idea is to do a google search for finding workout partners. There are a bunch of web sites that will help you find what you are looking for in a workout buddy.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had much the same problem as you. I study traditional Okinawan karate with a strong physical conditioning component. When I moved away from my teacher, none of the other karate dojos offered what I was interested in. I started my own school as a result primarily to obtain training partners for myself. Since I am the owner of the school, I set curriculum. Simple solution to the problem, unfortunately it's not quite so easy to implement.

Good luck.

OP
I

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Alright, well I found a website called Exercisefriends, and after poking around in it, I made my profile, and everything. Hopefully I'll get some responses soon.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had much the same problem years back. I befriended a guy from another style, and we trained together in my basement a few times a week. Just for fun we blended what he knew with what I knew, and bingo, I made it happen.

Latest Discussions