Forums

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The internet provides us with a vast amount of information on just about anything. There are many forums out there that cover a wide range of subjects. While all info out there may not be accurate, it should be easy to tell fact from fiction.

This forum covers a wide array of subjects. We have sections for Kenpo, TKD, Grappling arts, CMAs, KMA, JMA, to name a few. I have had the chance to interact with a number of people from here. I've had the chance to exchange training tips, give and receive suggestions on certain aspects of an art such as punching and kicking. The list can go on and on.

While surfing the web, I came across a post by someone. They asked why people come onto a forum and ask questions. Do they not have an instructor to ask? If they do have one, is he capable of teaching and answering questions?

IMHO, I feel that its simply another source of info. If there is one person out there that has the answers to every possible situation, question, etc., then I want to meet them! I've been in the arts for a while, and I havent come across that person yet. This isn't to say that I dont have an instructor, that he cant answer questions, because I do and he can. However, I think that its beneficial to talk with others and get their views as well.

What are your opinions on this?

Mike

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forums are a great source of information, and disinformation. Sometimes, it's hard to tell the 2 apart. That is where you need a competent instructor on hand. To help guide you through the BS you'l often find.

So...if theres this BS, why go?

Simple. To find other like-minded folks, who share your passion for the arts (or whatever). To make friends. To meet people. To find that instructor, or training partner, or mentor.

Forums aren't a substitute for reality, but are a great way to meet folks you'd never have otherwise encountered and see a great diversity of opinions. Sometimes, you'll find something better or something different, or something you never would have considered through the online world.

And that gives me something to take back, and ask questions I might not have come up with on my own, and challenge my instructor to give me more information and gain a deeper understanding of the arts I study.

(The huge income I make from these sites doesn't hurt either.....time to upgrade the official MartialTalk jet. Whatta ya think? Does HotWheels make an F22? :D)

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Coming to this forum and others like it is a great way to expand your horizons. If you constantly train with the blinders on you are missing the other parts of the experience. I came from a dojo with the blinders mentality and it has done nothing but drive students away. After all you cannot see the forrest if you just concentrate on one leaf grasshopper.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question, Mike, and it brings to mind many positives from being associated with MartialTalk.

This forum, one of only a couple which I do/will visit, is a great source of information. Even the misinformation which Bob spoke about is good information--if I believe it's wrong, can I articulate why? Can I prove it (to myself, anyway)? Not everyone is going to agree with me, or have the same experiences to share. Many will have done and seen things, and trained in ways, places, and with people, that I have not, and maybe haven't even imagined.

So, MT stretches the imagination, challenges my assumptions, exposes me to some excellent resources I had previously not known about, embeds YouTube gems here and there, allows me to make new, good friends, and just generally keeps me honest (I'm a legend in my own mind, but when I put it in writing for all to see, the legendary status withers, and reality sets in :D).

So, the experience can be frustrating, challenging, rewarding, and draining. But we must keep on, in order to get Bob his new jet. Not sure if HotWheels makes the one you want, tho, Bob. :p

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While surfing the web, I came across a post by someone. They asked why people come onto a forum and ask questions. Do they not have an instructor to ask? If they do have one, is he capable of teaching and answering questions?

Even if he does have a teacher, that teacher cannot possibly know everything. Also, asking questions from people who study other arts is a valid and rewarding use of one's time.

From my persepctive, the internet has been a great boon to the Historical European Swordsmanship community, and it's impact is hard to overstate. Theory, practice, translations of texts... all are discussed online by a vibrant community of practicioners. It has made us all better martial artists, and a more close-knit community overall. I could hole up in my salle, listening only to my Provost, but why should I? I'd rather be exposed to as many ideas as possible.

As was said by my high school Social Studies teacher: "Be careful or you might learn something." ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am here for the book smarts of the Martial Arts, the more I learn...not just about my art(s)...but about all Martial Arts, I feel that I become a more rounded Martial Artist....

Education my friend Education

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike I find forums let you expand your horizon about the Arts and it is able to give someone the general ideal about so many types of MA out there. It also has allowed me to find new friends and some great instructor to stop by the school and do some demistration and help my student and my staf to become more poficent in the Arts all together.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can read a book on a specific subject and get that one persons prospective but a forum such as this one is a dream come true. I feel that openness is the key to knowledge and it helps us to not become narrow minded. People young or older, beginners to the arts or people with time in grade have something to contribute and this makes for a very comfortable atmosphere to grow in.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly agree with those that said a forum isnt a substitute. Like a book, tape or dvd, its simply another resource. As an example. If you take this forum for example, there is a Kenpo Senior Corner section. Its set up to ask the Senior Kenpoists that we have here, specific questions about the art. Keep in mind, that these folks have been in the arts for many years, and have spent many years training directly with Ed Parker. Therefore, for someone like myself, who sadly, never had the chance to train with Mr. Parker, I'm able to ask a specific question of those who did. :) My inst. may not be able to answer the question, but there is a good the Seniors will. Therefore, all that being said, forums do serve a purpose IMHO. :)

Another pro of forums. LawDog, a member of this forum, thought that it would be a good idea to have a bunch of the Kenpo people in the New England area, get together. A few other people in the MA area, did some research and found a spot in MA where we can get together, meet face to face, rather than always typing to each other, and have a fun day to making new friends and seeing old ones. :)

Another example: The Martial Talk M&G that Bob puts together. Gives people a chance to get together for a friendly workout session and as I said above, a chance to meet the people that we 'talk' with online.

Sounds like forums serve some very good purposes!:ultracool

Mike

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, MT stretches the imagination, challenges my assumptions, exposes me to some excellent resources I had previously not known about, embeds YouTube gems here and there, allows me to make new, good friends, and just generally keeps me honest

I can't say it any better than kidswarrior has already said

1.) The information that I've seen on here has caused me to ask questions of my instructors that I wouldn't of otherwise asked or even thought of.

2.) I like the different perspectives that intelligent discussion brings out - it really causes me to stop and reflect on my own training.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Like all the most rewarding activities in life, MA's aren't about finding answers, but asking questions. I really appreciate the amazing breadth and depth of the questions (and answers!) on this forum... it seems like there is constantly some post to ponder and debate with myself about during the day.

Actually, the back of my MA diary is reserved for questions that i need to ask my teacher about... since discovering MT, that list of questions has increased 10-fold! My poor teacher... he's going to be so sick of me... ;-)

Plus, it's a great way to get yr MA hit when yr injured, frustrated and can't train!

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If nothing else, I have taken from the forums ideas, concepts and theories surrounding techniques and application. Not always is it a direct correlation, but the thoughts expressed open my mind to thought and cause me to look at different things in various ways, some good, some not so good ... but never is it bad to think things through.

It has also opened my eyes to history and its importance to the arts ... all arts. I already believed that any art is a good thing, better than no art and that every art has its postive and negative aspects. But it has furthered my belief that cross-training is necessary ... if for no other reason than to learn how to counter. My thought, "It is easier to defend against a knife attack, if you know how to use the knife in an offensive manner." and therefore, "It is easier to defend a submission, if you know how to apply the submission."

Now for the sense of belonging. Yes, it is the Internet, but the forums give a sense of friendship in one way or another. I like the idea of the 'Meet and Greets' ... just wish I could attend the Kempo meet in MA this month, didn't quite work out, but I'll meet a few at the Kajukenbo tournament in Las Vegas this weekend. It builds a sense of 'networking' within the arts. The forums have opened my eyes to the thought of enhancing my chosen art with the integration of other styles into it and to seeking out instruction that does just that!

Anyway, I want to thank all of those that have crossed paths with me. I have enjoyed it for the most part, there are those times though ... LOL

See you all in the forums !

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a student trying to pass my belt tests, it can be detrimental. Your teacher wants it done one way, you come on here and people tell you 5 other ways to do it... now you are metally and physically confused, your progress slows down. So for people who are still training under a teacher and undergoing belt tests etc, getting specific technical information from a web forum can be a problem.

For learning about principles, strategies, history... intangibles like that - it's great :D

Also some people get a thrill from a good argument and web forums are by far the best place to do that.

-D

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find forums (this one especially) to be really helpful to my growth as a student & instructor of my art. It helps me to look at the arts differently, verify what I thought, challenge what I've thought, & helped me to grow deeper in my appreciation of all arts & artists.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a student trying to pass my belt tests, it can be detrimental. Your teacher wants it done one way, you come on here and people tell you 5 other ways to do it... now you are metally and physically confused, your progress slows down. So for people who are still training under a teacher and undergoing belt tests etc, getting specific technical information from a web forum can be a problem.

For learning about principles, strategies, history... intangibles like that - it's great :D

Also some people get a thrill from a good argument and web forums are by far the best place to do that.

-D

I agree with this statement, as it relates to the school, the instructor and of course the rank of the individual. It is the way of my last style. It is also one of the main reason why I made a change. I am now with a teacher that encourages thought. If he asks me to do a technique and halfway through I see something has changed, something as simple as my uke turning 90d, I can adjust and the technique is not called incorrect, but may be corrected if it doesn't work. He encourages me to see that there are an infinite number of variations to all techniques dependent upon the conditions with which the technique is applied.

Now, maybe it's just me, of maybe it's the amount of years I've done MA, maybe it's my rank, whatever the reason, he encourages the mind be open, he encourages flow. There is nothing worse, in my mind and his, than a person trying to apply a technique where a condition changes and the person freezes. This happens when techniques are done with a 'one way, my way' mentality, something changes, the mind freezes, if only for a split second, against an experienced fighter or a weapon, that split second can mean your life.

With that being said, at lower ranks, I can see the need to have a technique done 'one way, my way' for many reasons, a main one in today's environment being safety, another being just what was mentioned above, by DavidCC, mental and physical confusion. I encourage thought, always have. Not every technique works the same for different individuals. Many things need to be taken into consideration, a few being: age; height; weight; strength; flexibility; mentality; etc.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should not infer from my post that my teacher does not "encourage thought" or requires "one way, my way". However to be promoted in our style you have to be doing our style, not something else.

SKK is as splintered as any other art, maybe more. If our version has a technique done a specific way for specific reason, and I start doing it some other way because of something I read on the internet... that's not acceptable. Can I learn something from comparing the 2? of course. Will I be promoted in our style by doing Prof. Ingargiola's material? of course not. That's not a discouraging of thought, that's learning our style of SKK.

he asks me to do a technique and halfway through I see something has changed, something as simple as my uke turning 90d, I can adjust and the technique is not called incorrect

what you describe here is just the practical application of technique, and not at all what I am talking about as "doing something different". Its' ridiculous to expect that in other than ideal circumstances (uke has turned 90d for example) you would execute the exact same ideal phase technique.

But go to the SKK combos thread, find a combos that is described differently than how you learned it, and start doing it that way instead of how your teacher taught you. Is that a good idea?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should not infer from my post that my teacher does not "encourage thought" or requires "one way, my way". However to be promoted in our style you have to be doing our style, not something else.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer anything. I don't know your teacher, nor do I know your style and that is the reason why I entered the statement as follows:

I agree with this statement, as it relates to the school, the instructor and of course the rank of the individual. It is the way of my last style. It is also one of the main reason why I made a change.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I apologize.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But go to the SKK combos thread, find a combos that is described differently than how you learned it, and start doing it that way instead of how your teacher taught you. Is that a good idea?

Sorry, I missed the question at the end of your repost.

IMO, it is a good idea to have an open mind. I stated that, I will always state that, over and over. No, in a test, it is not wise to be doing things differently than taught by your current instructor, I agree with you on this, with certain conditions. Condition being: Where I train, if all is exactly correct in that the uke is using stepping in with the right foot and throwing a right punch to my head, I am expected to regurgitate the technique as taught. If my uke errs and throws a hook punch, I am not expected to step into the punch and get my bell rung cause the technique I was supposed to be doing called for a certain movement against a front punch. That's all I am saying here. As a second example, my instructor may tell the uke to throw a right, then left punch, without me being aware ... I will be expected to adjust, anywhere at anytime, whether it be during private or group lesson, or a test situation, I am to be ready. Yes, mistakes are made. No, I probably won't fail a test because of it. But I'm expected to grow from it.

In some styles, in particular one that I came from, they corrected the person punching in rather than the person defending. This is where I say the 'one way, my way' mentality is wrong. I don't know your teachers way, nor do I know your way, so I'm not commenting on how you do things. I'm commenting on how my ex-teacher did things and how I did things as compared to how my current teacher does things and how I do thing now.

So again, I apologize if I mis-worded things to make you think I was talking you down. It wasn't intentional. My comments are related to me and where I've been and nothing to do with you and where you are or have been ... I've not been where you have.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can and have asked many questions on here and have recieved opinions, rhetoric (some of which I'm responsible for..), ideas and even downright instruction. Many ideas I probably never would have considered. I consider this sight a compendium of knowledge, possibilities, considerations, scenarios and Chuck Norrisisms. I think I've become a better martial artist since joining this sight and probably saved myself a lot of injury and greif by listening to advice I consider wise. I find the BS is minimal as it's another opinion, perspective and even a chance for entertainment. I also feel my ideas are valid and that I have something to offer the group. It will continue to be a good source of "ask the master" for me as I progress down the path. This looks like another chance to extend my thanks to all of you. So thanks and keep up the good work!

Latest Discussions