Why does someone start their own style?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering, what causes someone to "create" their own style of MA, be it an off shoot of what they originally learned or a MMA?

Is it cause they think the style they primarily train in is lacking?
Is it cause they think the style they have learned has lost its way from it's roots?
Is it a vanity thing, they think they know better and want to be called a Grand Master or whatever?

Or is it something else?

Though I don't know if anyone at MT has created their own style, I am hoping maybe you can still provide some insight into the thought process behind the creation of a new Art.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think 99% of the time it's about ego. Notice how many of the "Founders" have extremely limited contact with martial artists outside their small sphere of influence. It's easy to think you're a big dog if you never leave the porch.

I attend 4 - 6 national Camps a year and make a point to train with those who have more knowledge than me (not that hard to do) and seek out opportunities to train with talented instructors. Most of the jokers who head a new and improved system avoid side by side comparison and for good reason. Also, notice how many claim high dan rank in multiple styles. That's a red flag to me that they belong to one of the Soke Council organizations. Their motto should be, "Congratulations, Master, you're check cleared." Cross ranking between these guys is another slap in the face to legitimate martial artists.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rigidity and pride can often overpower a martial art and make it "brittle". I think there are far too many "soke" out there and this makes it difficult for a person who has really earned it to be one. IMHO, you can only teach yourself what works for you, everything else is information and guidance to come to a decision. (Technique vs. technique, I'm confident most brazilian jiu jitsu shodan would have a serious advantage to most shodan of my old karate style, chito ryu. I needed to supplement it) I won't be a master 'till my life is lived. I am still quite possibly a fool, follow yourself, not me.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My observations over the past decade are,
1 organizations taking away most of your hard earned money,
2 politics - who gets ahead within an organization,
3"prima donnas" who are all knowing,
4 some are being true to themselves and follow their own path.
5"King of the Hill" wanna be's.

When an organization begins to drain your school's bank account then it is time to move on.
The internal politics thing I understand quite well.
Then there are those who are really being true to what they think and feel inside. This is not a bad thing.

Time is the greatest prover of all.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All the reasons so far seem pretty valid to me. And I bet for every guy you ask who has done it you'll get a different answer. Some are more valid than others, based on years training, real experience, and whether or not the guy is just out to rip people off. I think we see it more now-a-days due to lack of patience, and the fact that you don't have to worry about someone coming to kick your door in and see if you are worth your salt.

Ed Parker did it, and he has left us with a large following. Old time traditionalists, such as Ueshiba also did it.

For the newbie just starting to train, they just have to do a little homework before choosing a style or school. They are the ones most preyed upon by the money grabbers.

As for the reasons why, looking at the "Valid" ones, it usually happens when you are finding your own path. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the ones who won't let you.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think in my own case, and that of my teacher, I followed a fairly normal Chinese path. It is not so much the material that has brought about a change, but my inferences as opposed to my teacher's. That might be very clear. I am a different person to my teacher, mentally and physically, so my approach and interpretation is different.

Therefore what I teach is a variation of what I was taught, in theory more than technique, just as what I was taught was my teacher version of what he was taught.

The core remains the same, the peripherals have changed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it is the political reasons for alot of good MA'ers out there for one reason or another they have fallen from grace within that org. and must seek out on there own.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think some people just find the best way for themselves, and that may mean changing some things they learned, or bringing in elements from other arts that work well together and complement each other. Then they teach what they know. I guess this is sort of a "new" style, regardless of whether or not the guy gives it a new name. But so what? I think we all should ultimately do this, and it has nothing to do with marketing or making money. You need to walk your own path, as did your teachers, and as your students must.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think some people just find the best way for themselves, and that may mean changing some things they learned, or bringing in elements from other arts that work well together and complement each other. Then they teach what they know. I guess this is sort of a "new" style, regardless of whether or not the guy gives it a new name. But so what? I think we all should ultimately do this, and it has nothing to do with marketing or making money. You need to walk your own path, as did your teachers, and as your students must.
What FC said.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well said...

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Politics...Being in an area that there isn't anyone that doe your specific style...and not wanting to sell out to some of the surrounding schools, so a Martial Artist does what is necessary to preserve the knowledge that has been imparted unto him/her over the years...

My instrucor was secluded from everyone when he moved here in Kentucky, and didn't know anyone, so he developed his own style and called it China-te, which is where my first Black Belt comes from, but now, that I have gotten him a bit more tech savvy, he got in contact with the Ryukyu Kempo alliance and tested and passed for his Nidan...and the only person he had to train with was myself...and I came from no experince what so ever before him, so I only knew what he had shown me..so even when away from everything that you know, a true martial artist can take from everything he/she knows, and still apply it effectivly

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Each person who trains in any M/A will have there own style. You come first as you learn. The key style of your learning is a structured base of training. But you have you own way. Now instructing a M/A And calling it something new. It must have a valid foundation But in the true end There is no style just people doing what they do.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am wondering, what causes someone to "create" their own style of MA, be it an off shoot of what they originally learned or a MMA?

Is it cause they think the style they primarily train in is lacking?
Is it cause they think the style they have learned has lost its way from it's roots?
Is it a vanity thing, they think they know better and want to be called a Grand Master or whatever?

Or is it something else?

Though I don't know if anyone at MT has created their own style, I am hoping maybe you can still provide some insight into the thought process behind the creation of a new Art.

It could also be about decideing that your own method has diverted SO much form the original style, that your no longer are even doing that style. If someone were to do Kempo, but end up mostly doing Wing Chun, they might end up teaching modified Wing Chun with the Kempo tech.s they use alot.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Starting one's own "style" might be something as simple as incorporating portions of another system into a currently existing system. Often times, it's simply because the founder is more comfortable with using such techniques, and believes that he can make a system that will thrive.

I've seen this happen with Shotokan schools, that incorporate a good bit of Ju Jutsu, to the point where they were exceptionally close to doing what a "standard" Wado-Ryu school does. On the flip side, I've seen Wado schools that have re-incorporated much of what the Shotokan arts have been doing, to the point where they became more of a "hard" style.

Many of these systems have thrived to this date (but of course, many have not), and are quite fundamentally sound.

On another note, as MarkBarlow stated, there will always be a good number of individuals who decide to take the "dark" path, and do so simply for self-gratification. It's not entirely unusual to see such individuals join an organization of "grand masters" so that they can buy / sell / trade judan rankings, and then form their own organizations from there...

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I gotta add another $.02. Bruce Lee is my biggest hero. MY interpretation of the learning he shared with us is that we all must find our own style in order to express ourselves as individuals. Unless you do a lot of streetfighting, someone else will have to teach you and that's where you are at the mercy of the predator "soke". Some people have good intentions but make a decision that they are ready before they are. Unfortunately, these people must be humbled and hopefully not at the cost to the student. The money grabbers must be exposed (hopefully without a defamation of character claim). It becomes a new level when trying to share your way in order to help someone express their way but the baasics are the basics.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score

I agree.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I, too, agree with this post.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me, the problem is that most people who decide to strike out on their own, for whatever reason, don't have the experience or ability to head a system. Most have moderate talent and can only take their students so far. By cutting themselves off from more advanced instruction they are doing themselves and their students a huge disservice.

It's all well and good to say that I'm following in the footsteps of Kano or Bruce Lee but that begs the question, am I their equal?

Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, the problem is that most people who decide to strike out on their own, for whatever reason, don't have the experience or ability to head a system. Most have moderate talent and can only take their students so far. By cutting themselves off from more advanced instruction they are doing themselves and their students a huge disservice.

It's all well and good to say that I'm following in the footsteps of Kano or Bruce Lee but that begs the question, am I their equal?

Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

While I agree with your first point, I don't agree with your second point.

Bruce Lee and Professor Kano both had a strong background in the martial arts prior to starting their own system. And I believe over time their styles and their view points on their respective styles they created may have changed. What we are looking at are the end result after they have spent many hard years developing their systems, and even then we are seeing what their students have developed on their own afterwards.

So I don't think the question is "Am I their equal?" but rather "Do I have something to offer and do I have the fortitude to stick it out?" And if you have something to offer and you can stick it out and train up students, build an instructor base etc. etc. than you too can become the head of your own system or create your own style.

Mark