Fort Bragg shooter's name?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a murder at Fort Bragg. So far the shooter has not been identified. Does anyone know anything about the shooter?

The story...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/army-battalion-commander-killed-in-fort-bragg-shooting/

Jun 28, 2012 10:37pm

A U.S. Army battalion commander was killed by a fellow soldier on Thursday in a shooting incident at Fort Bragg, N.C. The alleged gunman then shot himself and is in custody; a third soldier was slightly injured in the shooting.
An Army statement said the shooting victim belonged to the 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade. A battalion is a subordinate command within a brigade and is commanded by a lieutenant colonel. The battalion involved in today’s shooting has not been identified.
A Defense official told ABC News that the shooting occurred this afternoon as the battalion was gathered for a safety briefing in advance of the upcoming July 4 weekend.
The safety briefings are usually held by commanders to reinforce good patterns of behavior during holiday periods.
The official says that at some point during the safety briefing an enlisted soldier broke out of formation and pulled a handgun to shoot the battalion commander. Another soldier was slightly injured during the shooting. The gunman then shot himself. He was taken into custody and is listed as being in serious condition.

After the Hasan shooting was declared "work place violence," I thought someone should ask about this shooting. If it wasn't an act of individual terrorism, I'd sort of like to know.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...how much time was this guy facing for stealing 1700 dollars worth of tools and probably a dishonorable discharge? Why did he shoot the battalion commander, was the battalion commander an immediate supervisor of this guy? Was there a sergeant, lieutenant or captain in front of the battalion commander, or a squad leader who was more directly involved with this guy? Someone who might have been more involved with the court martial proceeding? Why target the Battalion commander? Hmmm...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? Fishing that hard for some sort of conspiracy? How about the simple fact that Lt. Col. Tisdale was in a vulnerable position at the time of the shooting, or that his name may have been on the bottom line of the paperwork for the court martial?

Elder apparently was a crook who had more to lose than he could stand, and decided to take someone with him. Probably little more than that...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After the dumb way the military handled the Fort Hood shooting, claiming an obvious terrorist attack as "work place violence," and ignoring the ties of the shooter Major hasan to terrorists, it isn't silly to ask about a shooting like this, especially as we wait to get all the details.

Here is a look at the dumb way major hasan has been handled...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2817941/posts

And the above was classified as "work place violence..."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...od_shooting_classified_as_work_place_violence

But the Obama Administration still doesn't get it, and have classified the Ft. Hood shooting carried out by Islamist Nadal Malik Hasan that left 13 people dead and 29 others wounded as "work place violence." Remember, before the shooting there were warning signs that Hasan may do something violent in the name of Islam. He passed out cards to neighbors that said, "praise Allah," and had expressed opposition to the war in Afghanistan because the enemy shared his faith.

So, I think that a little skepticism around shootings on military bases and forts is required...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
After the dumb way the military handled the Fort Hood shooting, claiming an obvious terrorist attack as "work place violence," and ignoring the ties of the shooter Major hasan to terrorists, it isn't silly to ask about a shooting like this, especially as we wait to get all the details.

Here is a look at the dumb way major hasan has been handled...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2817941/posts

And the above was classified as "work place violence..."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...od_shooting_classified_as_work_place_violence

So, I think that a little skepticism around shootings on military bases and forts is required...

First things first. From your own links, the Army doesn't seem to have handled things dumbly in this case. Both links lay the blame on the Obama administration. Since I don't know specifics of the investigation I can't promise you they couldn't have done better, but I expect they did pretty well. I know investigators were sent in to supplement those already assigned there, and I think I recall that some lab techs were sent there as well.

I don't see how saying a designation of Work Place Violence is handling MAJ Hassan badly. It may be handling the whole incident badly. I don't know in what context that designation was given. Pres Obama may have just been trying to make some political points that he is against work place violence and picked that incident. But no matter what Pres Obama may have said, it was still a multiple murder incident. He deserves to go to a Super Max for the rest of his life.

As to your statement that a little skepticism is always warranted relating to shootings on military bases or forts; your links just don't support that. Skepticism isn't bad in and of itself, but why would you pick on the military? Especially military crime investigators? And based on your links blaming Pres Obama? If some commanders hide, or try to hide an incident, it will still usually be found out. That will just add to the number of subjects listed in a criminal report. But once it is known, military crime investigators will investigate as best the circumstances allow.

Further, jks9199 has probably given you the correct answer for his shooting his battalion commander. He was probably the person who was going to convene the court-martial that Elder would have faced. Elder may even have thought that his Bn Cdr was pushing him getting a court-martial rather than say a battalion level Art 15. I don't know the specifics, but that would seem a likely scenario. As to how much time he would have faced? I expect for a theft only, no more than six months. However, if it was court-martial, he would have then had a life-time record of conviction in a federal court. Whatever he thought he might face, he seems to have thought he could not face peers or family, and evidently thought to take out the person he thought was at fault for that (instead of seeing himself), and then himself. Sad really.

Latest Discussions