Forms

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those that have small schools, and those that have been teaching a short time , when do you find/make time to practice your advanced forms and techniques.
Shadow

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For yourself or for your senior students? And what does it have to do with a small school or short teaching time?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

For yourself or for your senior students? And what does it have to do with a small school or short teaching time?

If you've only been teaching for a short time, you won't have senior students.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aha! That makes sense, is that what you meant tshadowchaser? I'm still curious about the small school thing too.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

muayThaiPerson

i dont mean to invade on this Black Belters talk but my gym is usually free to the instructors a lot, how many hours do u teach each day?this gym is usually open to EVERYONE who pay

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, what my old instructor did is he scheduled a specific forms class...

schedule was thus:

M/W: 5-6 pm kids white/yellow belt self defense
6-7 pm kids orange/purple belt self defense
7-8 pm adult white/yellow self defense
8-9 pm adult orange/purple self defense

Tu/Th:5-6 pm kids blue and up self defense
6-7 pm kids sparring
7-8 pm adult blue and up self defense
8-9 pm adult sparring

Friday:6-7 kids forms
7-8 adult forms

I really liked the class schedule, because there was a specific time for everything.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

For those that have small schools, and those that have been teaching a short time , when do you find/make time to practice your advanced forms and techniques.
Shadow

The only time I have to train on the kata and the other things I am working on is early moring or late at night when I am not interupted by work, family, other students and so on.

I have no time during class while I am teaching since I have to pay attention to what the students are doing.

K

kenposcum

I practice my advanced stuff before anyone gets in from about 3PM to about 5PM, then again from 9PM until I want to quit (usually about 9:15 ;) ). Also, I consider refining my basics to be advanced, and I can do that while teaching. And sparring, even with the scru...uh, newer students, can always be a learning experience.
I have a saying..."Make the world your dojo and you will never lack for training."
:asian:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thoughts on a small school was/is, that most school don't start out with 30-50 students of various ranks, therefor the instructor must spend all of his time teaching and has no time to do any forms or practice advanced techniques because all of the students are beginners. If the instructor has a full time job and only teaches during his no work/job hours he is putting in 8 hours a day at work then 2+ hours a night teaching, and he has to find some time for family or him/her self, there is little time let to practice for oneself.
Shadow

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh ok you were talking about time for self training! All I do is teach so I train during the day, sometimes I get an assistant to teach my classes and I train at night too. I like my life. HA! I admit things were way harder when I was working 9 to 5 and then teaching 6 to 10pm..... I'm much happier just teaching and training.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

My thoughts on a small school was/is, that most school don't start out with 30-50 students of various ranks, therefor the instructor must spend all of his time teaching and has no time to do any forms or practice advanced techniques because all of the students are beginners. If the instructor has a full time job and only teaches during his no work/job hours he is putting in 8 hours a day at work then 2+ hours a night teaching, and he has to find some time for family or him/her self, there is little time let to practice for oneself.
Shadow
That's me alright. At one time was teaching at lease one class every night/day except Sunday. Now I take Monday and Wednesday off or so I can workout. Last week I got to work a couple of 10 hour days at the day job before going to the dojo. Boy was I dragging.
Bob:asian:

A

Angus

A lot of the instructors I've trained with (and I'm NOT a full time instructor, but would like to be someday) have set aside one day a week (usually saturday) to go and train with other black belts or instructors in their system. A lot of them start off with classes only mon-fri, then when they have students who are senior enough they have them teach on saturdays.

I can imagine it can be difficult, however. Seems like beginning a school would be difficult enough, let alone having to keep up your own training in the meantime.

S

Shinzu

i think specific training times are the best way to go about it. if i was teaching all the time, i would schedule times where MY instructor could review things with me one on one. this way i could get the best of both worlds.

C

Chiduce

Shadow
I feel you have a point very well made. There was an article a while back on about.com referring to your same post. James Hon had some very good points on training when there seems to be no time for it. Waking up 45 minutes early and getting in a 30 minute workout before work was a good idea. I prefer burning the night oil though. 15 minutes of short form training at lunch for those with the 30 minute lunch and 30 minutes for those with an hour. 30 minutes before eating dinner is another way to add training time in the course of a day; and always 30 - 45 minutes before bedtime.
Sincerely, in Humility;
Chiduce!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my dojang, there is a all black belt class (no color belts) on wednsday nights. They work on advanced BB stuff only. I think that's a good idea for the BB's and instructors to give them a chance to work on their stuff.

My TSD instructor still trains with the GM twice a week. He travels an hour to do so. His training is done during the day (tues and thurs), so he can run the dojang at night. Most of the IMA masters went to this day class training with the GM, so they can teach at night.