Former Karateka looking at Wing Chun

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, most of my martial arts background is Koei-kan Karate and ameture kickboxing with some Tae Kwon Do, MMA grappling and some other dabblings....so you could say my foundation is brown belt level karate.

Anyways, I am checking out a Wing Chun school here in Flint http://www.rasoolskungfu.com/ after searching for months and months. What I am asking is about what to look for. These guys come highly recommended and seem very cool on the phone so I am going to visit a class on Monday coming up. I have been seeking something different from my background and have been trying to find a Jeet Kune Do Concepts, Wing Chun, or any fillipino arts school that fits my odd schedule.

Any of you Wing Chun guys that are former Karateka, I would like to hear your thoughts on Wing Chun as well as things I should be looking for.

Thanks
Gary

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't officially have training in Wing Chun (my Sensei cross trained in Wing Chun and taught it to some of the upper ranks in my class), and techniquely have never trained in Karate (Cuong Nhu has a heavy backround in Shotokan, Judo, and Aikido), but I feel free giving my advise.

Wing Chun is very effective in it's range of combat; so if your a handsy fighter, you'll love Wing Chun. On the other hand, if your not a handsy fighter, you're looking in the wrong place. If your looking for something new and unique, you're in the right place. While there are some defenent similarities, there are some pretty big differnces.

I'll leave what to look for to someone who has actually trained at a Wing Chun school.

RyuKyuBushi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Upon looking at the website I find a few things disturbing, My background is Okinawan Karate and FMA but from the looks of some of the information presented I would have concerns and definately proceed with caution. Comments like the Sifu received several purple hearts for bravery and heroism, The purple heart is given to those injured in combat, not for bravery and heroism....I also find the Martial background a bit sketchy. I guess the best thing to do would be to go and meet with them and watch some classes, then make your own decision based on your gut instincts.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My background is Kyukoshinkai karate and shotokhan karate
Then I switched as I found karate catered more for size vs. size and it wasn't working against bigger, more aggressive opponents.

I switched to wing chun and have been training it ever since

To be honest there are a lot of wing chun instructors out there who have a very poor understanding of fighting and the abilities that wing chun can give

After looking at the website, it does appear at first glance that this school is pretty poor. The art itself is undecided - the front page of the website lists three seperate arts and talks about them as if they were one art.

However, as I have said previously, never judge a book by its cover
Some schools aren't very good at website creation etc or might not be wealthy like some of the McDojo schools

Go into the school with a proper aim. ie if you want to learn self defence, ask the instructor for a brief demo on self defence. If you want an internal art, ask the instructor about this. If you want it for fitness, ask the instructor questions on fitness
Don't swamp the instructor with trivia, but it should be perfectly acceptable to ask the instructor a couple of questions before you join
If they cannot answer your questions satisfactorily, leave

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been seeking something different from my background and have been trying to find a Jeet Kune Do Concepts, Wing Chun, or any fillipino arts school that fits my odd schedule.

Forum member Rich Parsons teaches escrima in Flint, have you contacted him?

Anyways, I am checking out a Wing Chun school here in Flint http://www.rasoolskungfu.com/ after searching for months and months. What I am asking is about what to look for. These guys come highly recommended and seem very cool on the phone so I am going to visit a class on Monday coming up.

The website is not impressive and superlatives such as "top Kung Fu practitioners of traditional Kung Fu of our millenium" tend to turn me off. It may be true, but it is a little over the top.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The school does produce some "Righteous fighters" LOL

I'm always skeptical of a Wing Chun school that promotes the wearing of pajamas.

I'm skeptical of any school of any style who's web page boasts on about the instructors. Ultimately, though, if you really want to know, go down there yourself and check it out.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the most complete martial arts system of the 21st Century.

I had quite the chuckle over this statement. Once the smoke of how great the instructors are and how wonderful their style is it would be interesting to see what is really there....my opinion of course.

melry88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, take a look at Sam Chan who studied under Ip Chun and Ip Ching. Sam is about 1.5 hrs from the place you have listed and would be worth the drive.

www.chanskungfu.com

Good luck...

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't officially have training in Wing Chun (my Sensei cross trained in Wing Chun and taught it to some of the upper ranks in my class), and techniquely have never trained in Karate (Cuong Nhu has a heavy backround in Shotokan, Judo, and Aikido), but I feel free giving my advise.

Wing Chun is very effective in it's range of combat; so if your a handsy fighter, you'll love Wing Chun. On the other hand, if your not a handsy fighter, you're looking in the wrong place. If your looking for something new and unique, you're in the right place. While there are some defenent similarities, there are some pretty big differnces.

I'll leave what to look for to someone who has actually trained at a Wing Chun school.

Thanks for the input CuongNhuka, and funny you mention Cuong Nhu because that is another school I am looking at for their Ving Tsun.

http://www.flowingchidojo.com/

They are a Cuong Nhu dojo too. The Ving Tsun instructor is the son of the owner, who teaches the Cuong Nhu. I have spoken with both of them and they seem nice. The price is good, just need to see the product but I did like my conversations with both.

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.amafa.com/classes_offered.html

This is another that catches my eye but still a tad bit of a drive away. Had a good conversation with the owner who also does the Jeet Kune Do there. Another man named Jeff Kolman does the Wing Chun. Only thing is the 1 hr drive and the gas + dues cost....which would be fine if I was local...

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, take a look at Sam Chan who studied under Ip Chun and Ip Ching. Sam is about 1.5 hrs from the place you have listed and would be worth the drive.

www.chanskungfu.com

Good luck...

Grand Rapids is about 2 hrs away, maybe more. Too bad though because this gym looks to be EXACTLY what I would like!!! Thanks.

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
The school does produce some "Righteous fighters" LOL

I'm always skeptical of a Wing Chun school that promotes the wearing of pajamas.

I'm skeptical of any school of any style who's web page boasts on about the instructors. Ultimately, though, if you really want to know, go down there yourself and check it out.

I am going on Monday so that is why I was asking for things to look for in finding a Wing Chun dojo (kwoon?). Coming from a Karate/TKD/Kickboxing background, it will be hard for me to know what I am looking at, hence the thread.

Thanks for your opinion.

OP
D

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Forum member Rich Parsons teaches escrima in Flint, have you contacted him?

I have sent him two emails from his club's website http://fmaclub.net/ about 2 months ago and not got a reply, but maybe it is outdated email address??? I know my friend trains with him/them and he loves it. If the schedule is the same as listed on the webpage, then I would only be available for one class a week. I work a wierd split shift where I am on days friday and saturday then nights sunday and monday. Tues, Wed, and Thur is my weekend.

Thanks

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I friend of mine teaches Xingyi and Bagua semi-privately in Burton, but if you're interested I can put you in contact with him. He's also got rank in BJJ, Arnis, and combat sambo.

melry88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you want to get an idea of what to look for setup a time to drive out to Chan's school. Take a look and see how they do things and then from there you will know what to look for at other schools. Also there you can talk with him and get some suggestions from him where to look for a good teacher in your area.

Wing Chun has really opened my eyes and I am personally enjoying Ip Ching's take on his father's system.

Again good luck!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input CuongNhuka, and funny you mention Cuong Nhu because that is another school I am looking at for their Ving Tsun.

http://www.flowingchidojo.com/

They are a Cuong Nhu dojo too. The Ving Tsun instructor is the son of the owner, who teaches the Cuong Nhu. I have spoken with both of them and they seem nice. The price is good, just need to see the product but I did like my conversations with both.

Ohh yah, I know about there school. One of the members here used to train with them, I cann't quite remember his name though, I can tell you he has a Goku avatar though... he kinda stands out amoungst the Wing Chun players...
Anyways... I cann't recall who Sensei Howard is though... If you were intrested, Cuong Nhu is a pretty awesome style, and there is a good deal of Wing Chun in Cuong Nhu. Granted most most of it is conceptual. The Pak Sao drill becomes a drill we call 'blocks and punches' (which should get drilled into you until you cann't stand it anymore); the Lap Sao drill gets entered in in various ways, at various times; Dan Chi Sao becomes what we call the 'bounce principle'. We also include trapping, economy of motion, and many similar principles. Ok, ok, so I'm a little bit of a marketting goat, get off me.

Latest Discussions