form performance speed

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a general rule I look for about 1 second per movement, unless there is a tension movement, then 4-5 seconds to complete that movement. I think that gives time to make each movement clear and crisp, and keeps a good flow.

Thoughts/opinions?

I think it depends entirely of what you are focusing on while doing the form that particular time.

It also depends on how long and how well you know the techniques. Obviously if they are new techniques you want to move through them slowley to get it right as well as learn the underlying principle.

I find that speed comes as a byproduct of practicing and understanding.

I should say for someone that has practiced the form considerably, not just learning it.

I would ask; What are you doing with the movement and why are you doing it? Those must be known prior to knowing when, where, how. If you are only punching or kicking as most practitioners view most forms vs intercepting, entering, throwing, breaking, choking, taking down: then timing and speed will be different.

I would ask; What are you doing with the movement and why are you doing it? Those must be known prior to knowing when, where, how. If you are only punching or kicking as most practitioners view most forms vs intercepting, entering, throwing, breaking, choking, taking down: then timing and speed will be different.

Parroting WC above... it depends.

Unless I do a free style to music I don't time it.

However, given that even the long forms rarely last longer than a minutes (most are done well under) I don't think I get to the 1 sec/m

There are moves though that are slow, others that are fast.
My goal is more to perform the move to it's fullest, not rushing through it.

Forms should have a rhythm and pace appropriate to what they're supposed to be... If you're doing a combative form, the techniques should be done with a rhythm and pace as if you were fighting someone. If it's a meditative or strengthening form, you do it more slowly, concentrating on that aspect. Forms can be done as a form of shadowboxing, for conditioning, where they're done hard and fast, as well...

Latest Discussions

Back