Foot injury looking for sensible fitness/exercises

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi I've recently hurt my foot, it's nothing serious but I need to take time off training until it heals. Seen as I'm used to alot of cardio work I don't want to stop exercising all together. Can anyone give me any hints and tips on exercises that don't involve the foot? Obviously I can work my abs with sit ups and floor exercises, as well as stretching and working on certain leg techniques on one leg. I was wondering if you know of anything more suitable?

Thanx :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Id need more information. What kind of foot injury, and how severe is it? In My experience, if You can walk on it without being bent over with pain, You can still train to a degree. If You experience intense pain putting weight on it, rest it and RICE it for about a week or two.

OP
M

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

Thankfully it's not my ankle, and it's also not broken which after 2days of not being able to weight bare or drive was a relief! It's the top left and side of my left foot. I am unable to fully extend/point my foot but I can now point it
towards the ceiling. I have been using ice packs regularly, elevating it and taking ibrophen 400mg and co-codomol for
the pain. I can now walk with only a slight limp, however I can't even do a simple roundhouse if supporting with this leg :(

Bored of resting now!! ;)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

Thankfully it's not my ankle, and it's also not broken which after 2days of not being able to weight bare or drive was a relief! It's the top left and side of my left foot. I am unable to fully extend/point my foot but I can now point it
towards the ceiling. I have been using ice packs regularly, elevating it and taking ibrophen 400mg and co-codomol for
the pain. I can now walk with only a slight limp, however I can't even do a simple roundhouse if supporting with this leg :(

Bored of resting now!! ;)

Yeah, Ive done something similar earlier this year, only on the top right. Do not try to kick with it as the support leg - I learnt the hard way. Its not the kick thatll do You in, its pivoting on the bone.

What You can do, though, is some Upper Body work. I dont mean situps, or weights. I more mean things like standing in front of a wall, pressing Your fist against it like Youve thrown a punch thats gotten stuck in the wall, holding it and pushing whilst maintaining good form for 15-20 seconds, then repeating for both sides until Your arms get tired. Or standing with Your feet about shoulder width apart, resting Your weight on Your heel if necessary. If that doesnt make sense, google "Parallel Ready Stance".
From there, You should be able to, at a relaxed pace, shadow box comfortably.
Im sure theres other things You could do, but its a start :)

OP
M

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks :) you're right, it's the pivoting that hurts... And landing jumping techniques! Lol ;)

How long did it take for your foot to heal? It's been 5days since I hurt mine and I have my grading in 4days, pivoting is kinda essential!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks :) you're right, it's the pivoting that hurts... And landing jumping techniques! Lol ;)

How long did it take for your foot to heal? It's been 5days since I hurt mine and I have my grading in 4days, pivoting is kinda essential!
2 months, before i had full range of motion. And if i push it with my fingers, its a bit sore. But its improving by the day. I did this back in February, mind you. Now, it took 2 weeks to be able to kick with the foot, so long as i kept the toes out of the way, and use it as a support leg.
When its your grading, do your left legged kicks up close with the shin, and stick to roundhouses if possible. With the right leg, try to stick to front push kicks and side kicks (pivot off the heel). Now, you could probably get away with pivoting off it, but the problem arises that youll aggravate the injury.
Again, i learnt the hard way. But if youre required to demonstrate kicks that will compromise that, try and pivot first, then kick. Itll minimise the negative after effects. If you injure it badly, itll be incapacitating right then and there. If it just spikes a bit, just take some painkillers later. Itll be fine.
If youre sparring, try and use your fists in offense, and your kicks in defense. Then be righteously aggressive. And optimally, go southpaw, and use your front leg to jam up, to make that possible. Front leg side kicks can be surprisingly good for the task.

OP
M

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again... Luckily I am southpaw so that shouldn't be too difficult. :) will experiment gently tonight to see how much I can do sensibly.

I really hope your foot gets better soon!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again... Luckily I am southpaw so that shouldn't be too difficult. :) will experiment gently tonight to see how much I can do sensibly.

I really hope your foot gets better soon!
Foot injuries are a... I cant say anything suitable without breaking some rules :)

When you experiment, concentrate on how it feels after you use it. Like, use it gently for 5 minutes, then wait 5 minutes, and see how it feels. It will be sore when you use it, obviously. See how much of an actual effect it has when youre not actively harassing it.

Good luck with your grading, and good luck with recovery! Let me know how it goes.

OP
M

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanx Cyriacus for all your advice.

I passed the grading, altho itmwas extremely painful... But definatley worth it!

I went back to the doctors who have now told me I've damaged my ligaments and have referred me to physio. They've also said that I should limit my exercise to a gentle stroll and nothing more :( not impressed :(

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The important thing, is that its only one foot. It was always a risk, that in using it youd strain it, hence my efforts to point you at minimising its use, but miracle working aint doable. As long as the grading as worth it :)

Fortunately, its not a permanent injury.