FMAT: Do you practice cutting with a live blade?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Do you practice cutting with a live blade?
By Carol Kaur - Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:59:15 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

In this thread Douglas brought up an idea that I found intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas

To my mind, if you're learning a style that involves cutting, particularly if you consider it for self-defense, then you should have some experience cutting something, since bouncing a stick off a tire is quite a different movement from cutting, with the required follow-through, etc.

This to me makes a lot of sense.

In a different post, Douglas mentioned that cutting Tatami mats was a common part of JSA training. A JSA friend of mine mentioned to me once that beginning JSA students start cutting soft objects such as water jugs.

I have not yet seen anyone practice cutting with a live blade in FMA practice.....but.....I'm still new so there is much that I haven't seen.

How many of you folks practice cutting something (hopefully not each other) as part of your training?

Do the points of experience with the different movement and proper follow-through resonate with anyone?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife always complains that if I am cooking th meat has some strange slices and cuts to it. Guess what i was doing as u was preparing the meat.

I also like to take some of my blade( including my machete) outside and butcher small new limbs on trees. This creates havoc at times with my blades and their sharpness but what the hell I have to practice on something