FMAT: Defanging the Snake vs. Stabbing.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Defanging the Snake vs. Stabbing.
By arnisador - Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:32:14 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

This post by Danny T got me thinking once again about the three main knife-sparring strategies I see: 1.) Stab first, fast, and hard; 2.) Defang the snake; 3.) Throw the knife(s) from a distance. Let me neglect the third case and assume that both parties have blades in the 4"-6" range.

I think most knife experts, including the majority of FMAers, prefer to stab first and fast. The theory is that you'll probably get cut anyway, so it's best to deliver a debilitating blow to your opponent as soon as possible. I see the logic of this. If up against a defanger, you could hope to trade a cut to your arm for a stab to his midsection--all things considered, not a bad idea if your life is on the line. Even if a defanger is so quick that he gets in three hits to your one, unless one of those hits removes your ability to stab, you still win. If I'm stuck at corto-to-medio range, I don't see a much better option with a modest-sized blade.

I prefer to defang the snake when I have enough space to maneuver. I want to stay back and make nickel-and-dime cuts. I reason that I am exposing myself less than if I went in for a stab and that once I get in a few of these cuts I can switch to a stabbing strategy if it seems warranted. I should then be at a relative advantage. I'd prefer to be out of range and playing this game than be closer and having to go stab-for-stab.

I meet many people who, if they have a folder-sized blade, prefer even from largo to try to get in close enough to make that stab. If it works, great...but when I play with them, I try to dance around the edges and defang. Like any other strategy, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the defanfing idea because you are playing with his attitude. Unless he is crazy or wacked on drugs, you can control the fight without much bloodshed.
Sean

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full agreement with both posts above! Indeed, you have to adjust to your opponent, and defang the snake provides much flexibility to do so...but having both options available provides even more.

I just am surprised by how many people are so heavily invested in the stab strategy (or at least, that's how it seems to me).