FMA magazine

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dr Ned Nepangue is a dedicated reseracher of FMA in Cebu and has been researching many of the claims people have been making for a long time abouut FMA. While I weas in cebu, he had deatiled discussions with me about certain historical claims people have been making. He is working on a book and I am sure it is going to be very well received and.....controversial.

In regards to the certificate in Cebu, it does not exist. If it does exist like everyone has been claiming, how come Dr Ned and others have been unable to locate it?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sungkit said:
Dr Ned Nepangue is a dedicated reseracher of FMA in Cebu and has been researching many of the claims people have been making for a long time abouut FMA. While I weas in cebu, he had deatiled discussions with me about certain historical claims people have been making. He is working on a book and I am sure it is going to be very well received and.....controversial.

In regards to the certificate in Cebu, it does not exist. If it does exist like everyone has been claiming, how come Dr Ned and others have been unable to locate it?

1) Will there be an English version?

2) I agree that many claims may just be that.
:asian:

L

LAKANPOPOT

Tatang used to say Panci panci lang lahat yan. Ako ang nagturo kay Floro pero gumawa siya ng sarili nyang storya. That is all fancy stuff. I taught Floro but he made his own story.

YOu see Tatang in his 90's had cataracts. I can attest to that I studied with him in his 90's. Tatang just used to laugh about the things about the Villabrille, serrada, decuerdas thing. I was shocked but it was coming from Tatang.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LAKANPOPOT said:
"I taught Floro but he made his own story."

Hi LAKANPOPOT,

I just wanted to make sure that I understood, but is the quote above the direct translation from the late GM Illustrisimo?

Thanks,

Palusut

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons:

As far as Dr Ned told me, he will be publishing the bookin English. They are discussing publication with some publishers and I hope all develops soon. There has been a lot of travelling, time and research put into the book and a lot of myths are going to be shattered.

I will be returning to Cebu in a month or two and will discuss the progress of the books publication with Dr Ned.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sungkit said:
Rich Parsons:

As far as Dr Ned told me, he will be publishing the bookin English. They are discussing publication with some publishers and I hope all develops soon. There has been a lot of travelling, time and research put into the book and a lot of myths are going to be shattered.

I will be returning to Cebu in a month or two and will discuss the progress of the books publication with Dr Ned.

Very Good, if all is not set in stone, and you wish to ask my instructor some questions, just let me know. He is Manong Ted Buot (Balintawak). He openly admits he want he does and does not know.

Let us know when it is to be published.

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Rich.

I am sure Dr Ned may know Manong Buot. When we were in Cebu we were introduced and ended up training with manong Sergio Arcel.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sungkit said:
Thanks Rich.

I am sure Dr Ned may know Manong Buot. When we were in Cebu we were introduced and ended up training with manong Sergio Arcel.

Very good.

I was just trying to assist if I could.

Thank you and keep us informed.

:asian:

L

LAKANPOPOT

Palusut said:
Hi LAKANPOPOT,

I just wanted to make sure that I understood, but is the quote above the direct translation from the late GM Illustrisimo?

Thanks,

Palusut
Yes, that came from the late GM Ilustrisimo. Tatang is very straight when it comes to things like that.

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lakanpopot:

Sorry if I am unable to understand what tatang was saying, but was he talking about an individual student of his?

G

Grasshoppah

LANKANPOPOT

I have some questions if I can ask?
Tatang Illistrisimo and Regino Ellustrisimo are two different people?

Regino Ellustrisimo is Floro Villabrille's uncle, from what he said. As old as he was he only had good things to say about his nephew.

Is thier any finding in Dr Ned's research or any research on any comment that Floro Villabrille made about Tatang Illistrisimo?

In this book is it all about Floro Villabrille and Kali?

It seem's like you were their when Tatang said "he taught floro but Floro made his own story". I was woundering if he said this because Floro didn't mention his name in those story's or maybe because of jealousy.

Did Tatang say this so that everyone could believe he was Floro Villabrille's teacher?

This is all interesting stuff, I hope your not getting upset about these questions, Iam just a beginner and reading about escrimadors interest me.

Peace

L

LAKANPOPOT

Tatang is very particular. It started with a student who went the Philippines to look for the roots of Serrada. Tatang told him there is no Serrada here. Let me see your Serrada. He did not like the movement. This guy claimed he studied with GM Cabales. Tatang told us that it was too fancy not effective. He said Angel used to come and work out to learn from me. That started our curiosity. Because We knew about Decuerdas another and Villabrille kali. Tatang said those arts founders studied with him. Floro was his nephew. He was surprised about the claim of the blind princess. Tatang kinda disappointed about it.
Tatang taught alot of GM's in the PHilippines. Even my teacher GM ERnesto Presas. I used to see Tatang in my GM's school. That is how I met Tatang. He also said that everytime GM Remy would go home GM Remy would visit hime to Train. Tatang liked the Presas brothers. He talked highly of them and their arts. YOu see Tatang would teach anybody who was willing to learn. He is the only one to really spread his wealth of knowledge withou holding back. That is why when Tatang talked everybody listened.
I am not trying to offend anybody. Please do not get me wrong. I am just a student of Tatang. I apologize if you do not like some of my posts. Truth is you can ask Tony Diego and Topher about what Tatang thinks about the arts. They are long time students of Tatang and know him well.

G

Grasshoppah

LAKANPOPOT said:
Tatang is very particular. It started with a student who went the Philippines to look for the roots of Serrada. Tatang told him there is no Serrada here. Let me see your Serrada. He did not like the movement. This guy claimed he studied with GM Cabales. Tatang told us that it was too fancy not effective. He said Angel used to come and work out to learn from me. That started our curiosity. Because We knew about Decuerdas another and Villabrille kali. Tatang said those arts founders studied with him. Floro was his nephew. He was surprised about the claim of the blind princess. Tatang kinda disappointed about it.
Tatang taught alot of GM's in the PHilippines. Even my teacher GM ERnesto Presas. I used to see Tatang in my GM's school. That is how I met Tatang. He also said that everytime GM Remy would go home GM Remy would visit hime to Train. Tatang liked the Presas brothers. He talked highly of them and their arts. YOu see Tatang would teach anybody who was willing to learn. He is the only one to really spread his wealth of knowledge withou holding back. That is why when Tatang talked everybody listened.
I am not trying to offend anybody. Please do not get me wrong. I am just a student of Tatang. I apologize if you do not like some of my posts. Truth is you can ask Tony Diego and Topher about what Tatang thinks about the arts. They are long time students of Tatang and know him well.

Thanks, LANKANPOPOT
wow! this is good stuff, maybe old news but new to me. peace

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LAKANPOPOT said:

Dude...thats pretty cool. I never heard anything about Professor RP training with Tatang. Interesting.

Thanks!

L

LAKANPOPOT

You see guys the Presas people try to train with the best. I see old GM's in our school lots of times. man Ben Lema in his prime was teaching my GM, GM Jose Mena of Doblete Rapilon,etc. The Presas brothers were good friends with most FMA masters. Did you know that GM Remy used to tell our Seniors where we learned our stuff and not to teach our stuff. LIke our Daga techniques, and Mano mano. GM Ernesto revealed alot of Family techniques. The things GM Remy promised his family he would not teach. We asked our teacher about it. He says his Father and Grandfather gave him the blessing to teach their treasured secrets. That is what Kombatan is.

One interesting story bout the Presas brothers maybe you heard is. Remy was a barber and when he had the chance to meet a famous arnisador he would ask them for lessons in return for the haircut. Remy and Erning would go one would do the dummy and the other takes notes and exchange. Cool stuff. From GM Ernesto Huh!

Latest Discussions