Florida couple pleads guilty to abusing Filipino workers

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Florida couple pleads guilty to abusing Filipino workers

Fri Sep 17, 5:59 pm ET
WASHINGTON (Yahoo News/AFP) EXCERPT:

– A Florida couple pleaded guilty to conspiring to hold 39 Filipino employees against their will working in country clubs and hotels, the US Justice Department said Friday.
Sophia Manuel, 41, and Alfonso Baldonado Jr., 45, were owners of a labor contracting service based in the Florida city of Boca Raton.
Manuel and Baldonado "conspired to obtain a cheap, compliant and readily available labor pool, by making false promises to entice the victims to incur debts," read a Department of Justice statement, quoting court documents.
"The defendants then compelled the victims' labor and services through threats to have the workers arrested and deported, knowing the workers faced serious economic harm and possible incarceration for nonpayment of debts in the Philippines."
Once the workers arrived at Manuel and Baldonado's Florida residence, the couple confiscated their passports, then "housed them in overcrowded, substandard conditions without adequate food or drinking water; put them to work at area country clubs and hotels for little or no pay; required them to remain in the defendants' service, unpaid when there was insufficient work."
<<<SNIP>>>
Agencies involved in investigating the case include Immigration and Enforcement (ICE), Homeland Security Investigations, the FBI, and the US Department of Labor.
END EXCERPT
Having no white people involved, we probably won't hear much about the abuses of minorities...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something similar happened at a Strip Club in Chicago fairly recently as well. I don't have a link to an article as I am at work and don't want strippers or strip clubs in my search history... but I bet you can find the article.